Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiromi Uehara thread

Justin Havu

Some men see a successful, talented woman, as a threat. The womans awesomeness holds up a mirror to whats missing in that guys own life (major success), and he hates her for it.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan Rudess is another guy that seems to bring out the "wanking off" comments. This is an apt comparison, because I hear some of that influence in Hiromi's playing. Her tunes are almost more prog than jazz. It's all what you're into. I personally like her playing, although admittedly it's something I would have to be in the mood to listen to. I could say that about a lot of artists though.

Also, making arguments that put artists into other hypothetical stylistic situations doesn't make any sense. If you think Hiromi sucks because she "couldn't play the blues or reggae" or whatever (which is a pretty bold statement to make, I might add), you might as well say that Jimi sucked because he couldn't play bebop or bluegrass. What's the point there exactly?

Hiromi is a truly skilled pianist, and I've considered picking up her stuff. Her writing and improvisation is not nearly as skilled however.

It's like the writing on the award-winning movie Avatar, on which I wasted two hours recently ... if you've seen Pocahontas, if you've seen Dances with Wolves ... you've already seen Avatar, which means it doesn't matter how fast the action is on screen, the story can be predicted and your mind has leaped ahead. With Hiromi's writing, the formulas are similarly evident. She begins Move with a familiar figure which immediately calls Watcher of the Skies by Genesis and Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater to mind. I can applaud her chops, while not wanting to spend my time on her music.

However, this music could be fresh and inspiring for some others, who haven't heard this type of riff and development. Perhaps they haven't seen Pocahontas and they loved Avatar ... ?

Some men see a successful, talented woman, as a threat. The womans awesomeness holds up a mirror to whats missing in that guys own life (major success), and he hates her for it.
Don't put me on the couch, thank you very much. You, the mystery man who shows up once in a while but doesn't ever share much including recordings of yourself.

I personally am not trying to "be" anything more than someone who enjoys jazz and is always trying to improve. I'm never moving to the "scene" to make it. I'm not threatened and I rarely look in the mirror.

She might have amazing classical and technique skills, but looking at her in microscope against the masters, she's a phony! She also compounds that with her gyrations and looks of pleasure.

She's a cartoon character musician for the masses.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Uhboy.

:snax:

There seems to be several subtopics floating here about her.

I think that she has amazing chops. I can't play with that level of precision and syncopation. I also cannot attack a piano like that without my hands locking up. In that regard, I find her technical talent to be amazing.

With regard to her particular style of music, I'd have to say it's not something I can listen to for more than a few minutes. The full out attack from start to finish is too much. I hear a lot of dazzle but not a lot of story. The videos are fun to watch, but do get tiresome quickly. Aside from the frenetic pace of her playing, I don't hear a lot of melody or thematic development in her playing.

I also find it interesting that Oscar Peterson was brought up as a comparison. I don't see the parallel myself. I think Oscar had a wonderful sense of melody, and could tell a story with his playing. To me, he is very easy to listen to - melodious but he could pull out his chops when it was appropriate. He was also very well rounded. A friend sent me a YouTube link of Oscar on the Dick Cavett show emulating the styles of several of his contemporaries, and he switched between them without skipping a beat. I was amazed at that, and would love to be half as good as he was.

If Hiromi brings a sense of joy to her performances, power to her. We should all be so excited about our performances. I heard or read years ago something like jazz is about 10 minute solos while the rest of the band stares at their shoes. It's great to see the level of excitement and interaction between Hiromi and her fellow musicians. So I don't get why someone would be annoyed that she's happy doing what she's doing.

I'm not qualified to participate in the "jazz vs. not" debate. What's important is whether you like it or don't like it - other than that, call it whatever you want. I don't think she's a poser however, she seems to be very ernest about what she does.

And with regard to "stealing" content from other songs, that's been going on for centuries, so I don't think it's fair to call her out on that.

Jordan Rudess is another guy that seems to bring out the "wanking off" comments. This is an apt comparison, because I hear some of that influence in Hiromi's playing. Her tunes are almost more prog than jazz. It's all what you're into. I personally like her playing, although admittedly it's something I would have to be in the mood to listen to. I could say that about a lot of artists though.

Also, making arguments that put artists into other hypothetical stylistic situations doesn't make any sense. If you think Hiromi sucks because she "couldn't play the blues or reggae" or whatever (which is a pretty bold statement to make, I might add), you might as well say that Jimi sucked because he couldn't play bebop or bluegrass. What's the point there exactly?

Its not a bold statement to make, its the truth. The point is she cannot feel it, she would not be able to sit in the pocket in a lot of situations. She couldnt do what Billy Payne or Billy Preston does either. Those are the guys that people seem to want to emulate by the majority of topics I have seen on this board, not that shit above. Ive seen what the public around here locally consider good musicians fall in their face in open jam situations around town. I guarantee it, musicians like that you can see coming a mile away. All you have to do is watch her hands and how she approaches the instrument, you dont have to have the chops she has to know who can play music and who cant. Part of this is cultural also and the musical approach in Japan. I have spent a lot of time in the Martial Arts and the feudal influence on their society is apparent, even in her playing. And by the way Jimi could have played what he wanted, he could have because he could feel it. The amount of hero worship for her on this thread is really amazing.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

And with regard to "stealing" content from other songs, that's been going on for centuries, so I don't think it's fair to call her out on that.

If you are referencing my comment about some of Hiromi's material sounding familiar ... rest easy. I have no moral axe to grind about "stealing" . :D

I love Paul McCartney's comment about plagiarism ... "People would nick from a few favorite bands and so they would sound like them. We nicked from everyone!" :thu:

I'm just less entertained when the resulting music seems formulaic and derivative.

I also find it interesting that Oscar Peterson was brought up as a comparison. I don't see the parallel myself. I think Oscar had a wonderful sense of melody, and could tell a story with his playing. To me, he is very easy to listen to - melodious but he could pull out his chops when it was appropriate. He was also very well rounded. A friend sent me a YouTube link of Oscar on the Dick Cavett show emulating the styles of several of his contemporaries, and he switched between them without skipping a beat. I was amazed at that, and would love to be half as good as he was.

The interwebz ate my comments last night, but this was pretty much it. She doesn't measure up to Oscar's shoe. His playing was way better, too.

Aside from the frenetic pace of her playing, I don't hear a lot of melody or thematic development in her playing.

Mike you said it. :thu:

The ear is faster than the fastest fingers. If I can tell where you are going with a scale or a riff, and you don't do anything to develop it and surprise me, I am going on auto-pilot very soon. :sleep:

With respect to both of them, Hiromi reminds me of Litolff:

[video:youtube]2cw-sE1Z3Ts

Archived