Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

@Mike Martin - is the PX5 replacing the PX3? The PX3 seems to have vanished from websites and shops, at least in the UK.

Cheers, Mike.

The PX-5S is the replacement for the PX-3S. There are still a few available here in the US.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I fully realize how busy you are these days.

I guess what I'd like to hear from Casio is 100% dry, flatline EQ demos of the major new PX-5S tones - no DSP, no extra sound treatment - just the pure tones sounding on their own - naked to the world, if you will.

I know, most everyone that's interested in these kbs associates each major tone with its corresponding signature DSP/sound treatment. I get that! Yet, at this early stage in the marketing cycle of this entirely new 'pro' series, I think I'm not alone in wanting to hear just the tone itself, pure, clean and uncovered.

Enough said!

And, you're right, my closest Casio retail outlet is an 8-hour drive through the mountains down to the plains of Northern India. So, for now, I only have online access to info, audio and video on the fascinating new chapter in Casio's EMI product development. It's all quite exciting!

Again, I'd like to congratulate you, your product management team and the brilliant system engineers in Japan who relentlessly, passionately and profoundly continue to amaze us with these miraculous musical machines!

Take a bow Mike. You've more than earned it!

Dattaa

I guess what I'd like to hear from Casio is 100% dry, flatline EQ demos of the major new PX-5S tones - no DSP, no extra sound treatment - just the pure tones sounding on their own - naked to the world, if you will.

Why do you keep asking for "dry" demos when Mike just pointed out that they're available to you?

Enough said!

Clearly. :deadhorse:

Well I've been to Nepal and the Annapurna region *) so I understand the hassle of taking a trip to the nearest bigger place to shop for keyboards, just getting through the customs control at the Katmandu airport is a nightmare, usually you end ups throwing luggage over the heads of other people doing the same.

Anyway, in this case the Youtube videos and soundcloud clips should be enough to justify someone that $999 for this unit pretty amazing.

*) Manang, Lower Mustang, the Thorang La overpass is crazy, constant snow storm up there.

Oh brother, why did I have to read a new PX thread and then for total subjugation I just had to watch Mike's demo.

OK, it has what I wanted in my PX-3, so I oughta be sold...and I am. I wonder how much I could get for the old PX-3 now. They were as low as $600 new a few months ago. Maybe $400, I spose.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Oh brother, why did I have to read a new PX thread and then for total subjugation I just had to watch Mike's demo.

OK, it has what I wanted in my PX-3, so I oughta be sold...and I am. I wonder how much I could get for the old PX-3 now. They were as low as $600 new a few months ago. Maybe $400, I spose.

The sooner you get it sold, the better price. PX-3s are nice. There will be customers who just want a good digital piano.

The PX-3 may not devalue so fast, because there aren't many alternatives that can do what it does, and its replacement is $999. I think it may remain pretty desirable on the used market... maybe even more so when there are no more new ones to be had.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a PX-3 and have no plans to change to the PX-5 unless they make a scaled down version in black, for one thing I have no need for all the bells and whistles it offers, I only require a lightweight bottom board with decent acoustic and electric piano sounds and a nice action, which the PX-3 does, I don't like to play synths and organs on weighted keys and I don't need all the zones and sequencers, for that stuff I use a 61 top board, just give me the meat and potatoes on the bottom.

I had an M-Audio Pro-Keys. I could of used a sticker that said "For Sale $1".

Well, you might as well edit that post to change "could of" to "could have" before the D-Bon gets you! :wave:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Well, you might as well edit that post to change "could of" to "could have" before the D-Bon gets you! :wave:

Yes indeed, he minus well. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You can get custom decals for keyboards with embarrassing names like I did for the M Audio Pro line.

Then sit back and have people tell you how great your Oberheim, Moog or Buchla sounds.

I like the custom yellow knob decals and printed labeling! What did you use?

I have a PX-3 and have no plans to change to the PX-5 unless they make a scaled down version in black, for one thing I have no need for all the bells and whistles it offers, I only require a lightweight bottom board with decent acoustic and electric piano sounds and a nice action, which the PX-3 does

The PX3 is a nice board, and I'm sure lots of PX3 owners will stick with them, it does what they need. But before ruling out an upgrade, it could be worth checking the action and the acoustic and electric piano sounds of the PX-5S. Even though you don't need everything else it does, you may find it to be sufficiently better in just those areas you care about to make it worth considering the switch. As for the color, well, I have a PX3, and some of what is most tempting me to get a PX5 are the better keybed, the better EPs, and the fact that the new color scheme will make it easier to operate on dark stages.

I've seen guitar players being embarrassed of an otherwise really fine Squire* and ripping out the decals or placing a face Fender over it. Never understood that need to deceive yourself...

*) A lot of the really cool early eighties Brit R&B sound were done with Squire guitars (Level 42) and Ibanez Blazers.... Then again when I mentioned to my wife that I will get a Casio keyboard she said, huh, calculator keyboards? I think Casio needs to indeed do some good PR/marketing work now. Maybe get us cheaper versions for promotional purposes :-).

Cheaper versions for promotional purposes? Aren't they inexpensive enough? :P

Seriously, I've seen some old blues guys around here playing Casios. Some of the guys have good sounds, and some of them don't, IMO. But, in either case, the crowd goes "wooo!" and that's all that really matters.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes D-Bon, it is common. So common that I don't even think about it. I probably learned it that way before I hit my teens.

Haha yeah. It's so common that I'd never correct someone for it. In fact, I think I hear "could care less" way more often than "couldn't care less," to the point that I actually started to think that maybe I was the one who had it wrong and people say "could care less" as an overly-sarcastic way of expressing how little they actually care (yes, I spend way too much time thinking about such things).

But back on topic...

I've got a PX320 as my weighted controller for my DAW recording setup, and I'm considering upgrading to the PX-5S (and using the 320 in my bedroom as a practice board). But I'm thinking it may be overkill in terms of features. Am I wrong in assuming that the usefulness of multi-zone controllers in a recording setup is negated since it can all pretty much be done in the DAW nowadays? Any of you guys planning on using this in a studio setting?

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

In fact, I think I hear "could care less" way more often than "couldn't care less," to the point that I actually started to think that maybe I was the one who had it wrong and people say "could care less" as an overly-sarcastic way of expressing how little they actually care

That's exactly right. When I was young, the phrase I heard was "I couldn't care less." As I got older, I started hearing ""I could care less" more often, often clearly with sarcasm (or you could interpret it sometimes as a kind of shorthand for "as if I could care less"), but the sarcastic tone has fallen away some. Sarcasm may be a dying art!

I like the custom yellow knob decals and printed labeling! What did you use?

Brother Label Maker from Office Depot.

I work under MAC and 1000 Watt Par lamps and Yellow with black text works the best as I don't get distracted with scene changes, yellow remains yellow, more or less.

I use them on all of my gear and change them from gig to gig.

If you get one, you can use 3/4" and 1/2" tape from the same machine.

It's why I like dark controllers, synths and keyboards. The Yellow really makes reading everything really easy.

I have to cover lots of strings, horns, back up guitars, mark bell tree and percussion, so I am pretty busy, and blending AUX FX and mixing live makes life easy.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Well I never got to warm up on Pianos when I was doing Recitals and Jury's so I never let the action stop me.

I did get a deal buying 6 of them for 300 USD each years back, and kept 4 of them. They were the best controller in those days but 6 nights a week from pounding would kill a contact after 1 1/2 years, so that controller now played the B3 emu and racked hardware synths since said notes were a constant 127 velocity.

I would then rotate another disposable 88r into the stand until another key contact went south. But each unit had knobs and faders for spare parts, so for a 1000 USD (after selling 2) I had the same set up for 7 years and spares to boot.

They were such cheap dependable pieces of shit I shipped them on top of the other gear in gig bags.

But I won't ever buy another M Audio product again as they were on a roll and chose to invest in more junk instead of adding to a great lead they had in 88 controllers back then.

Thier new Oxygen has less features, and the same keybed for more money, and their sales are down 60% compared to their old success rate. You reap what you sow.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Yes indeed, he minus well. ;-)

Best one I saw recently was in a post concerning criminal charges for a Walmart employee: the poster thought that rather than a felony, the employee should have been charged with a mister meaner...

Archived