Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

:thu: Well-played!

If the marine application were a little more stable (built-in to a fixed studio desk) my only concern would be the same as any electronics in the marine environment. (Water corrodes; salt water corrodes absolutely.) Keeping it far from any random salt spray is essential, but other than that, it would be fine... I've had friends who have had DPs aboard for years without difficulty.

The tricky bit that raised the question is stowage and shock. Held only by the end caps and shaken (sometimes violently) for a few months, some keyboards may flex enough to be unhappy, stress circuit boards mounted to plastic bosses, have connectors vibrate loose, crack the case where a power supply attaches, etc. I'll play it safe and stabilize the middle, with padding in the slots to give it a bit of cushiness.

(Fortunately, on your interstellar voyage you probably will not encounter violent gravity waves. The cryo enroute should be fine since there will be no thermal shocks in storage, though the AIR silicon is probably not rad-hardened and you might want a bit of lead and mu-metal sheathing in your music bay at the destination.)

Yarrh,

Steve

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming back to Earth... Mike, I have another serious question:

Do you happen to know if the PX-5S is highly picky about the 12V wall-wart power supply? I know the standard answer is probably to use only the one provided, but it's important to me to be able to run the keyboard without my inverter (and its associated power overhead), which means it would be hugely convenient to power the unit directly from the boat's battery bus.

I'm suspecting it's fine and that the design is not assuming a tightly regulated external supply, but just making sure... there are some products that offload all power responsibility to an external box. The voltage does have some variability... when charging, it can wander up to 14 or so... and there is a tiny bit of PWM noise on it. (Fortunately, the house bank is isolated from the engine starting bank, so it should not have any nasty spikes... though I can't reallly imagine too many scenarios where I'm starting the engine while playing the piano anyway!)

I can do a DC-DC to clean it up (or use a small dedicated inverter), but would really rather not... it's a big win to just flip this on, along with the Fusion marine stereo, and just play. Although some folks don't like those little coaxial power connectors, in my application the external supply is a huge plus.

Thanks,

Steve

Use the power supply provided. ;)

I honestly don't know. If were to guess I would say that it should be pretty tolerant - after all it can run on AA batteries.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hey Mike Martin,

Are the hex layer sounds the same as in the XW-P1 or are they improved or different? I saw your demo where you mention how the hex layer capabilities are improved with separate effects for each layer but how about the sounds? I know the Pianos and EPs sound really nice in the demos but have the synths/pads/basses samples been Casiofied too?

I found them to be a little thin in the XW-P1. If they've been G-Shock boosted for the PX-5s, then I am officially on the waiting list, even if it is BYOMS.

The HexLayer mode along with everything else is completely different sonically. Each layer has its own filter (Lowpass, Bandpass or Highpass) with a filter envelope. The filters are pretty fantastic sounding and very smooth. There also pitch envelopes and Amp envelopes of course. All of the envelopes are 7 stages so there is a lot of flexibility.

To clarify each layer has a separate effects mix. So a HexLayer patch gets it's own insert effect, then each layer can either use that insert or have a it's own mix of the system chorus, reverb or delay (or any combination).

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Also, once I arrive, how will the PX stand up in alternative gravity situations? My destination planet is three-quarters Earth size and therefore has only partial standard gravity.

The weighted action will become meaningless! :laugh:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

The weighted action will become meaningless! :laugh:

No, it just becomes a weightless action, which is even cooler!

Alas 24lbs is so light so you can't in real life use it as a weapon to chase away aliens. A good old KX88 would have been better.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this in the pictures or specs. Does the PX-5S have an expression pedal input?

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

It was covered earlier in the thread, but no it does not.

Thanks...I hope it wasn't me who asked originally. :blush:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Will there be any upright piano samples in the PX-5S? After having played Nords for a couple of years I really enjoy playing upright sounds - I wish more manufacturers would include uprights in addition to the grand piano samples.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

When they wrap up some of the software things next week, we'll be re-doing all the specs and information pages. So much has been added since NAMM.

-Mike Martin

Casio

There is not an upright sample. We can do some things to get you close to that type of sound. You can shift all the sample roots. Kurzweil calls this a timbre shift. It can have a dramatic change on some of the sounds. We're working hard on the factory presets this week, I'll see about getting some not-so-grand pianos in there.

- Glancing at the forums is a way of giving my ears a rest during all this sound programming.

-Mike Martin

Casio

We're working hard on the factory presets this week, I'll see about getting some not-so-grand pianos in there.

- Glancing at the forums is a way of giving my ears a rest during all this sound programming.

:thu: and :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Mike,

Can you tell us what model Rhodes was sampled? I'm assuming there's just one model for all the Rhodes sounds in the PX-5S; please let us know if that's not the, ahem, case. I'll also assume the Wurlitzer was a 200A.

I support the suggestion to add upright piano(s)! And please Mike, can you please try and work on some long natural decay rates for the pianos? From one of the NAMM demos, it actually sounds like you actually are onto something (Couldn't tell if it was a layered piano sound with effects). So tired of notes that drops too quick in volume and fade out rapidly.

Yamaha CP88, EV zxa1

Mike,

Can you tell us what model Rhodes was sampled? I'm assuming there's just one model for all the Rhodes sounds in the PX-5S; please let us know if that's not the, ahem, case. I'll also assume the Wurlitzer was a 200A.

Mk 1 Suitcase

The PX-5S also has all of the other EP samples that have been in Privia's. These can be used to supplement and create variations.

There is also 3 new sets of "Modern EPs". I got lost for a while playing these today. I have absolutely no idea how they sourced these. Amazing to me.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, can you give any more detail on the amp models that were mentoned previously- I haven't rechecked the thread but I think I remember you saying that there were six and then that there would be a couple more.

They added a couple bass cabinets. I don't know the source.

Bassman

Fender Twin

Vox AC30

JC-120

Boogie Mark1

JCM-900

Rectifire Stack

I'll probably get in trouble for posting this. The names aren't in the keyboard but you can guess based the abbreviations used.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin RAWKS.

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/smileys/pianny.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived