Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

I think Hammond-Suzuki did a similar, or even bigger mistake, when making the new SK1 73 and 88 and didn't put pitch & modwheel on there - could have been a perfect 10, but no...

All of which makes me think how great a two-keyboard combo the PX-5s and the SK1 would make... :cool:

If the SK1-73 were C-to-C with wheels and aftertouch, that would have hit the spot for me. Right now, I'd say that if you want a drawbar organ/controller to put over the PX-5S and want more than 61 organ-appropriate keys with a low E for playing LH bass, it looks like the Numa Organ is the answer (and it does have wheels). I think PX-5S/Numa might be my ideal lightweight piano+organ/controller combo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is going to be available in March/April they'll be making them within weeks. It will take about 30 days for them to get to the U.S. after going through the export/import process and via overseas shipment.

There won't be any hardware changes. From what Mike Martin already posted, they're probably just waiting on programming, and that will have to be completed prior to production.

Despite a few criticisms here and there, this product will be a huge success for Casio as is.

Why do you reply to my post to simply repeat the exact same things I just stated in the parts you quoted?

I was only agreeing with you and adding a bit of clarity regarding transportation.

And like everybody else, just sharing my opinion.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

If the SK1-73 were C-to-C with wheels and aftertouch, that would have hit the spot for me. Right now, I'd say that if you want a drawbar organ/controller to put over the PX-5S and want more than 61 organ-appropriate keys with a low E for playing LH bass, it looks like the Numa Organ is the answer (and it does have wheels). I think PX-5S/Numa might be my ideal lightweight piano+organ/controller combo.

While in fact the Numa Organ has 73 keys, the bottom 12 are allocated (like on a real Hammond) for preset usage. Essentially; you still have 61 notes (C-C) for playing purposes.

Hey guys. I had a great chance to test drive the new Privia today on a quieter Sunday afternoon. Thanks to Dr. Martin for hooking me up and I was the de facto demo guy for about 15-20 min.

It is for real and I played it. I loved it. The keys felt great, from the wood grain texture to the weighted response. Sounds were excellent. I was in a funky clav mood and they had a sound or two where the sustain pedal would act as the wah-wah, moving in tempo to beats on the pedal. Very musical and funky. I fond a more distorted clav sound and Mike helped dial in the pedal control. VERY COOL!!!

I was thoroughly impressed with the PX5s and look forward to spending more time with one! Nice work.

Here is that very distorted clav with the wah as played by Eric.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Listening to a few of the clips now, we had the key release on some of the rhodes sounds cranked up really high for demo purposes. It sounded perfect over the PA, but back in the studio it was clearly too high.

Will these types of things be available for us to adjust on the production model?

I know you're busy Mike but thanks for taking the time to answer our questions :)

While in fact the Numa Organ has 73 keys, the bottom 12 are allocated (like on a real Hammond) for preset usage. Essentially; you still have 61 notes (C-C) for playing purposes.

I was told that, while that is true in its organ mode, that extra octave of keys is perfectly playable in its MIDI controller mode.

It was one of many questions I asked in an earlier thread... and unfortunately, the only one that got answered. ;-)

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2423676/Numa_Organ_questions

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Will these types of things be available for us to adjust on the production model?

I know you're busy Mike but thanks for taking the time to answer our questions :)

I'm multi-tasking. :)

Yes you'll be able to adjust this. We (Jerry and me) built some of these EP sounds Wednesday night before the show. In this case we built a single sound with 5 layers. The 5th layer is the key-off sound and you can assign any knob, slider or pedal to control layer volume.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I was told that, while that is true in its organ mode, that extra octave of keys is perfectly playable in its MIDI controller mode.

It was one of many questions I asked in an earlier thread... and unfortunately, the only one that got answered. ;-)

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2423676/Numa_Organ_questions

Wow! So what you're saying is there's a way to make the first 12 keys physically change from their "lock" mode into equally functioning playing keys matching the normal 61 for MIDI abilities? While that would be great, I really can't imagine this to be possible...?

Wow! So what you're saying is there's a way to make the first 12 keys physically change from their "lock" mode into equally functioning playing keys matching the normal 61 for MIDI abilities? While that would be great, I really can't imagine this to be possible...?

It works because they don't have to physically change. Unlike a real Hammond, the reverse octave of preset keys on the bottom don't lock into down position on the Numa. As I understand it, physically, they behave like regular keys, and instead of locking down, a light illuminates above them to show you which one is active.

This seems very cool and exciting. I've had the px320 for about 6 years now. I never thought of it as anything more than a practice board with cheesy GM sounds. I would pound on the thing at small gigs and rehearsals, never once had any problems with it. Although the action may be on the heavy side.. it's built to last. Anyway, I always thought if this thing had good B&B sounds, I'd be set. I must admit I'm not thrilled with the color choice though, seems a bit juvenile.. hoping to see a Black counterpoint.

I must admit I'm not thrilled with the color choice though, seems a bit juvenile.. hoping to see a Black counterpoint.

Especially since the lower-priced PX-350 is available in two colors.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Here is some audio of the PX-5S.

I'll be adding a more asap.

Mike,

can you please explain how the 'pad' that starts to come in at approx 11 seconds, on the PX-5S Intro, was done? Was it velocity switching or?

It was done ever so carefully with my left hand turning a knob. You'll hear that the filter is opening up mostly in-between the bass notes.

-Mike Martin

Casio

For those (like me) who are wondering why this isn't just the PX-5 and what the "S" stands for, I think it's for "Stage". Upon looking it up, Google directed me to this bit of info about it's predecessor:

"The PX-3 sold through much faster than we expected so they ramped up production again. Since these will not say "limited edition" on the front panel they had to make other changes which include officially includes the SKU number, so they added an S for stage. They did change the color of the LEDs to red and it no longer includes the letter from Mr. Kashio."

Attention Mike M.

My PX-3 has a handy plastic music stand that fits in a slot on the back edge. It's great for lead sheets,fake books, etc. I know that most "Pro" boards don't have them but they can be really useful.

I can't tell from the photos or descriptions. Does it have one?

It was done ever so carefully with my left hand turning a knob. You'll hear that the filter is opening up mostly in-between the bass notes.

Thanks Mike,

I can hear the filter opening. I was hoping that it might have been some sort of sustain pedal 'trick' similar to the wah when using the clav.

Attention Mike M.

My PX-3 has a handy plastic music stand that fits in a slot on the back edge. It's great for lead sheets,fake books, etc. I know that most "Pro" boards don't have them but they can be really useful.

I can't tell from the photos or descriptions. Does it have one?

No, sorry it does not.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, from a manufacturer's standpoint, what's the thinking about that? I love having the option of putting in a music stand when needed especially when working solo. I can't imagine a piece of plastic and a slot would have much of an affect on the hardware or the price.

Mike, from a manufacturer's standpoint, what's the thinking about that? I love having the option of putting in a music stand when needed especially when working solo. I can't imagine a piece of plastic and a slot would have much of an affect on the hardware or the price.

I think, kind of like built-in speakers, the idea of including a music stand gives some people the perception it is a "home/hobby" piece rather than a "pro" piece. It's a bit strange when extra functionality, which you don't have to use, makes a board seem "cheaper." ;-) Anyway, I could see possibly addressing that the same way I suggested making a speaker an optional purchase. That is, Casio could keep the music stand slot that exists on the PX-350, but not actually include the stand, and people who want the stand could then buy it for $10 or whatever.

Thanks Mike,

I can hear the filter opening. I was hoping that it might have been some sort of sustain pedal 'trick' similar to the wah when using the clav.

Actually there is a much better way that I wasn't thinking about. You could trigger a phrase. The phrase contains nothing but the filter movement.

-Mike Martin

Casio

+1 for music stand, and I don't even read music!

I'm skeptical that a music stand is considered less professional. Pros read music! (Or not ... but there's certainly no shame when they do.) Plus it's handy for set lists, charts, lyrics, ... stuff we want to read!

I second the suggestion to at least build in the slot or socket, and provide the stand as an aftermarket. Ideally, a part Casio already makes. Needn't be fancy; a wire ring is enough in cases where there is a "foot" already, or a wire ring with a foot ledge (or whatever they're called).

Actually, to make a music stand seem pro and hip, all Casio has to do is call it an iPad stand. ;-)

Archived