Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An evening with Bruce Hornsby

retrokeys

Interesting show. No back up band, just a Steinway with what looked to be some sort of MIDI interface. One could see lights indicating finger position as the songs were played. Occasional string pads used on some tunes but otherwise bare bones presentations. Any idea what this gear could be? As a performance, well worth seeing. Lots of "modern" classical (Charles Ives. Schoenberg, Massenet) interludes intermixed with songs both well known and from an upcoming musical. If you can catch this one, well worth it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw him two years back, same deal - solo gig on piano.

I was really amazed at his ability - he's so much better than that bubblegum pop they put out on his commercial recordings. Too complex for the average consumer, I guess.

L

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

he's so much better than that bubblegum pop they put out on his commercial recordings

"They" being ...?

I'm pretty sure he wanted to sell records, and besides, if you get into the piano parts on those albums, there is a LOT going on there in terms of phrasing, chord choices, etc. He's among those few folks who brought serious chops and complex sensitivities to pop music.

Post-Range... man, he really lets it rip. "Spider Fingers", "Sad Moon", "King of the Hill", etc.

Annnnyway, it's great that he's reached a level of success where he perform pretty much what he wants and still draw a crowd.

-John

I make software noises.

I was such a big fan of his. I remember waking up in 1986 and hearing the way it is on the radio and just feeling like I had never heard a song like that before. Is saw him later that year in a theater . Then in 1988 he was a little more popular and was touring with Bonnie Raitt. It was a good show but got kind of boring at the end. I was a big fan then just lost interest. I havent even heard him brought up in some time. He is a great player and a big athlete on the side.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Jason, check out some of his more recent stuff. You might dig it. I really enjoy his "Noisemakers" stuff.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

he's so much better than that bubblegum pop they put out on his commercial recordings.

Bubblegum pop? Seriously? Your statement almost seems to suggest that RCA was pulling the strings. There's nothing bubblegum about "The Way It Is" -- in fact, it's probably the last major hit song with a piano solo in it -- or any of the other songs on those early albums with the Range. Pop, yes, but bubblegum, no.

I hadn't bought anything since the first record (the way it is) until a couple years ago when I got "Levitate". I really like that record (although there isn't a lot of blowing on piano). A wide variety of songs...everything from Randy Newman type fare to funky/hip-hop influenced stuff. Not everything works equally well, but at least he is writing non-trivial stuff and taking chances.

OT: his son Keith is a pretty good college basketball player at UNC/Asheville. Watched him put up 26 against Ohio State on Saturday.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Bruce Hornsby has done one of the most difficult things a musician can do: he has developed his own sound, both instrumentally and compositionally. You can tell Bruce's playing within a couple bars, and if you're wrong, you're listening to someone who is influenced by him. You can hear his influences (Jarrett, Tyner) but no one has done it like he does and especially not in a rock/pop setting.

"Spirit Trail" is a masterpiece.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

He's a great player. I've long been a fan of his playing, tunes and voice..

While I'm not crazy about all the treatments he gave on the record with Jack & Christian, I think it showed a lotta stones to jump in here with those guys and do a trio record.. Nice reharm on "We'll be together again" for sure.

the "bubblegum pop" comment was strange, aimed at someone who has always had such a distinct sound. Hornsby always been able to sound distinctly himself and, at the same time, distinctly American. I never cared much for the heavy layering of strings/pads throughout so much of his work, but that's about all I can find to complain about.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Saw him two years back, same deal - solo gig on piano.

I was really amazed at his ability - he's so much better than that bubblegum pop they put out on his commercial recordings. Too complex for the average consumer, I guess.

L

If the only thing you've heard of Bruce Hornsby is "Mandolin Rain" or "Walk in the sun", then I could see how you might believe he was "bubblegum pop" , but ever since Harbor Lights, his records have been musically adventurous, jazz-infused, any commercial aspect of his songs were purely coincidental.

Someone mentioned Spirit Trail. Listen to his piano solo on Resting place. One of my favorite piano solos ever. The push and pull of his phrasing is masterful.

Harbor Lights. Hot House. Spirit Trail. All great CDs.

• 1 year later...
I had forgotten how much I enjoy Bruce Hornsby live. Saw him with Ricky Skaggs tonight. Hugely versatile, incredible voicings, amazing chops. Smaller venue at Atlanta Symphony Hall. The McCoy Tyner influence is clear. Go see him if you can!

Archived