Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Duke Trio at Java Jazz Festival

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!!!......So much music from a trio! One part bass, a drummer locked in time and a monstrous, funky symphony of keys. Can't nobody spread the funk like "The Duke". George is right there in my top three: George Duke, Joe Sample and Herbie Hancock.

I'm a big fan since the 70's. "Reach For It!!!!!"

This is righteous. :cool:

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Nice tune (anyone else hear the "bad mama jama" progression, lol) but WTF is it with that giant video setup in back that scrolls, flashes and generally annoys the shit out of anyone who just wants to enjoy the music?

Minor rant over! Thanks for the clip Jazz+, these guys know how to make a funky groove. Very enjoyable!

George Duke is my main boy! Aside from his obvious killer jaunts with Zappa, Cobham and others, check out the stuff he did with Marcus Miller and David Sanborn..

[video:youtube]zL5SD_eYNIY

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

George Duke is my main boy! Aside from his obvious killer jaunts with Zappa, Cobham and others, check out the stuff he did with Marcus Miller and David Sanborn..

[video:youtube]zL5SD_eYNIY

Killer clip - thanks for sharing. And he throws in a little "Echidna's Arf" at the ending. I've always felt George was the best of the 70's giants at playing each different keyboard/synth as it should be. He orchestrated with them better than anyone. Not to knock Herbie, who was the master of the Rhodes and clav, but I've always felt George was the most "well-rounded" multi-keys guy. And his time/feel is atomic-clock solid.

Jerry

Pitch bended Rhodes!

Sounds like a Wurli to me, but no matter. George is a monster -- his touch is marvelous -- and still somehow underrated. I think this song is from the After Hours album.

Yup, it's called "It's On". No one is more soulful than GD. His pitch bending is like a blues singer...

Jerry

Is that a X-stand?

:crazy: .......and this is important because?

That's an ES8. What else are you supposed to put it on? This statement reminds of another post I made. ES8 is an older Motif design. Time tested and still sounds as fresh today as when introduced. Why would anyone ever get rid of their synths? It is "still" a musical instrument and unless it's broken, you can still make music on it.

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

...I think this song is from the After Hours album.

I'm pretty sure it's "You Touch My Brain" from Deja Vu.

I've been a huge fan of Mr. Duke going back to high school ("I Love The Blues, She Heard Me Cry") and saw him a couple of months back here in L.A at the Catalina Bar and Grill (or Jazz Club -- not sure if they've settled on a name ;-). Very humble, and a great guy with a witty stage persona.

What a killer clip -- McBride played one of the tastiest solos I've heard in a long time!

Yamaha S90XS, Moog Voyager Select, Roland JD-800 (MIDI'd to JD-990 Super JD), Korg CX-3, Yamaha YC-45D, QSC K12.

Is that a X-stand?

That's an ES8. What else are you supposed to put it on? This statement reminds of another post I made. ES8 is an older Motif design. Time tested and still sounds as fresh today as when introduced. Why would anyone ever get rid of their synths? It is "still" a musical instrument and unless it's broken, you can still make music on it.

"X" is a 'bout the joke. I'm a hugh Duke fan. Saw him at Symphony Hall in Boston with Billy Cobham, love him on the Grand Wazoo, with Ponty, all of his albums on old BASF label, his DVD instructional videos, his intellect on his website, his producing - "need I go on!"

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Doesn't sound like You Touch My Brain to me. Different progression (similar feel/groove though). Not sure what it is...but it's NICE!

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

Is that a X-stand?

"X" is a 'bout the joke. I'm a hugh Duke fan. Saw him at Symphony Hall in Boston with Billy Cobham, love him on the Grand Wazoo, with Ponty, all of his albums on old BASF label, his DVD instructional videos, his intellect on his website, his producing - "need I go on!"

Pitch bended Rhodes, was also a joke. I'm also a Duke fan and the last thing that I care is the pitch bend... BTW, George has a second keyboard player, Gonzalo Pena (if not mistaken), I'd love to know how they divide sounds

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Pitch bended Rhodes, was also a joke.
I was against hearing Rhodes like this but I think George killed it (of course.) A few other of my favorite recordings with George as side man are Phoenix with Cannonball and Crosswinds by Cobham, masterful Rhodes and Moog solos!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've seen George Duke perform live several times but never in a trio format with just bass and drums. That was nice. Thanks for posting J+. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Doesn't sound like You Touch My Brain to me. Different progression (similar feel/groove though). Not sure what it is...but it's NICE!

I already answered this above, it's called "It's On", from After Hours, as D-Bon noted.

Jerry

the first vid reminded me of my first time hearing him in a band called _____. I think that was the name.

I saw him with Zappa and was blown away. Then I saw him with two other artists I can't remember because he stole the show. The man is my fav on a Rhodes.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

OT.....Hey Jimmy, don't you have a gig tonight? Wishing I were you when I grow up. Hoping all is well with you my brother. :wave:

George Duke played with Stuff? Must have been sitting in, because the regular guy was Richard Tee.

Oops my bad. You are right!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived