Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Fitness

I know there's a topic on running floating around here, and I was inspired to start one on fitness in general: How do you stay in shape, your favorite exercises/routines, how does it benefit you as a gigging musician, that sort of thing. It's also a cool way to maybe motivate each other, and maybe trade workout ideas back and forth.

Basically, I run 2 miles two to three times a week, and do most of my core exercises at the gym, along with 20-30 minutes of cardio. I started exercising regularly last year, and it's benefited me in that not only do I feel better in general, I have a lot more energy when gigging out.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Swim laps at the Y(outdoor pool) for 30 min. 3-4 days a week. Ride bike to and from the Y - only about 3-4 miles one way. 2 or 3 long (2-3-hours) bike rides a week. Really keeps the head clear - Plus I'm on a measured portions eating plan - lost 30 lbs this year and my body mass index is hovering at 25. Cycling and swimming are my two very favorite activities and I'm lucky to be able to do both.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Running for me. I try to run 10-15 miles/wk. A mile per beer drank the night before is what I shoot for. My body would go to pot in no time otherwise. I sit at a desk all day programming, and sit at a keyboard about 4 nights/wk gigging and drinking beer. I'd like to keep doing this for another three or four decades (I'm 45).
Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

LOVE cycling! Haven't been on a long bike ride in a long time, I'm waiting for my schedule to clear up so I can go out for a day or so. When I'm out biking, or running for that matter, I'll sometimes get song ideas, but it's kinda hard to remember them when I get back home and go to record something! ;)

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I play in 3 adult ice-hockey leagues - which translates to 4 games each week (1 of my leagues plays 2 games - back to back - every Tuesday afternoon). I the Winter/Fall, Spring and Summer sessions of all three leagues - which means I skate close to 200 games each year.

On the days I'm not playing hockey - chances are good I'm schlepping 400+ lbs of keyboard rig in and out of somewhere. On gig days it's 400+ lbs of keyboard rig plus a few hundred lbs of PA gear. I try to view the gear schlepping as part of my exercise regime - and really put my all into it. When it's time to load and unload - you won't find me "cherry picking" the gear pile for light items and trying to look busy while others grab the heavy gear.

• Like 1
The SpaceNorman :freak:

I can no longer run after ACL repair/meniscectomy (well, I could run, but I would need a total knee replacement that much sooner. After 8 marathons I can safely say running is checked off my bucket list). Was told to get back on my bicycle, so I ride my old road bike indoors on a trainer (in front of TV watching college football, action movies, or Tour de France reruns) a couple times during the week, ride my new machine outside 40-50 miles on the weekend, and use the Stairmaster (rotating staircase machine, no hands!) on the alternate days. Minimum 1 hr/workout, and the weekend ride is about 3 hrs.

Problem is, after working all day, then a 1 hr workout, then dinner, I am usually too tired to play music anymore. Seriously. My gear just sits or I just noodle for a bit.

Oh man exercise is so important! It's tempting to think of gear-hauling as exercise, but if I don't regularly do things that are more strenuous than that, I will injure myself moving gear!

I don't have an exercise regimen, but I try to stay active:

Bike around town for transportation.

Bike for fun.

Hike.

Swim in the lake and rivers.

Last year, when recovering from injuries that were basically symptoms of poor ergonomics and lack of exercise, I discovered something that changed everything: Yoga.

I'm not talking about the trendy "power yoga" or any of that crap. Just basic, slow, meditative stretching like Hatha Yoga. On tour, I do it in the hotel. Seriously, my rudimentary Yoga practice saved my ass. Breathe, and stretch.

Swimming ! There are a lot of lakes around where I live. I am fortunate to be able to take advantage of that. I go out there just about every day.

As far as eating goes, I have a Cuisinart Food Processor that I FILL with fresh vegetables. I eat mostly veggie stuff so maybe I will have something like tofu with that,or sometimes a little fish or veggie burgers. I eat tons fresh seasonal fruit this time of year too. So that helps also.

Lsat year when I was at the KC dinner at NAMM, I had to pass on the food which was a bunch of rich Italian stuff, pasta and pizzas and all that. I really enjoyed seeing some of the gang though.

Running for me. I try to run 10-15 miles/wk. A mile per beer drank the night before is what I shoot for. My body would go to pot in no time otherwise. I sit at a desk all day programming, and sit at a keyboard about 4 nights/wk gigging and drinking beer. I'd like to keep doing this for another three or four decades (I'm 45).

This is pretty much my routine. I run about 5 miles a day 4-5x a week and I've cut out sweets and soda from my diet completely. This leaves room for adult beverages and I've been able to lose and maintain the weight loss for nearly a year. I run really early in the morning regardless of weather, hot or cold, unless it is pouring rain.

I do a small amount of core and strengthening work, but not nearly enough. I plan to shift at least one day of cardio over to abs and weights to tone things better.

Yeah, being a keyboardist AND a drummer on occasion, I could easily say hauling gear is part of my workout routine, but drumming in it of itself, surprisingly, is a pretty good workout too! And I'm not just talking about schlepping equipment either. Maybe when I gig out as a keyboardist, I should haul around my 01/W Pro X. It's only around 75 lbs!

Hardware

Software

Ive lifted weights for nearly all of my adult life, which was always enough to keep off excess weight.....then I hit 40. Ive since been doing 30 minutes of cardio 3-4 times per week. I formerly used a stationary bike but developed knee problems, so at the advice of my doctor (sports medicine) I now use an elliptical machine which helped considerably....no more knee problems! One of the advantages of lifting weights for so long is that I don't have to do much in order to maintain tone. So twice a week, I just stick to a couple of sets of the basic exercises: bench press, military press, chin-us, dips, and curls. I don't lift heavy weights any more, but probably still use more than most my age (50). Also, I warm-up extensively before lifting (very important!), starting with stretching and then one or two sets of very light weight per exercise. With regard to diet, I really don't avoid anything, but try to abide by the principle of "moderation" when I consume things like cookies, potato chips, etc. I suppose all of this has resulted in residual benefits with music, probably most when it comes to schlepping gear.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have a very strict regimen.

Wake up, usually skip breakfast and head to work where I sit all day. Sometimes skip lunch too. Come home, plop on the sofa, watch a show or two while eating fried foods, or grill a steak or burger. For exercise, load my keyboard rig in and out of my car.

I've just been given a basic weight bench, so I can start lifting regularly. I don't plan on doing too much heavy lifting--just heavy enough for me to manage.

Hardware

Software

Went to the gym tonight for some cardio/core work. Felt great, but I'm busy pretty much every other night this week so sadly I won't be able to fit in any gym time. Running an open mic on Tuesday and Thursday, band rehearsal on Wednesday, and going to Soulfest on Friday/Playing at Soulfest on Saturday...

Hardware

Software

Felt great, but I'm busy pretty much every other night this week so sadly I won't be able to fit in any gym time....

So you're busy in the mornings and afternoons too? ;)

One of the things I've learned is that you have to be consistent (i.e., not miss workouts), yet flexible in terms of your workout schedule. I have literally worked out at just about any time of the day or night....early morning, mid-morning, early afternoon, late afternoon....you get the idea. The point is that for long-term results/benefits, it must become part of your lifestyle. That is, you do it just as you would any other activity of daily living (eating, bathing, etc.). Oh, and far more often than not, doing some exercise (even if it's for only 15-20 minutes) is better than doing no exercise!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Long workout Mondays. 40-50 mins stair master , air drumming and sometimes air keys at same time, (only in short spurts) to Whitesnake, Glenn Hughes, Yngwie and Chickenfoot mixes. Then, four sets of 8 reps each 27 pound weights and four sets 50 weights. More stairmaster wed, Thursday and some sats, 30 mins or less these sessions. Run to lunch place Fridays , half mile, then walk back. Lately park far away on my Sunday gig and run from park spot 3/4 mile away to venue. Last year was walking up hill in Hellman wilderness park in Whittier then run back down. Need to do again only have been once lately. Always see nice looking women on that trail as well and it's quiet ( no music on that one). Also do slick track karting on wednesdays, but not much lately as music has taken over (good). Two wins this year, ten last. Also kart at Cal Speed in Fontana several times a year, it's excellent exercise, and if I don't step up weights and cardio for that I'm toast ! Usually add extra weight exercises for that. And if I don't exercise for three days or more? Get mildly depressed for no reason, no energy or zest and it feels like my blood thickens with blob. I have to do it.

Finally I found a diet that works for me. It is called the Invisalign Bracers diet. Expensive, but a great incentive to cut out between meal snacks. Only had them one week and have lost 2 pounds. After nine months

Other than that, photography gets me out to hike. Kinect is a good way to exercise without realizing you are exercising.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Felt great, but I'm busy pretty much every other night this week so sadly I won't be able to fit in any gym time....

Not really, I just prefer going to the gym in the evening because there's hardly anyone there and I can easily go from one machine to the next without too long of a break in between. I do have a weight bench, so I guess there's really no excuse not to work out during mornings/afternoons. ;)

Hardware

Software

I have been into Martial Arts since 1979 but now it's Judo for me. And it's hard to train. I have a competition in MA next weekend but I also have been gigging a lot so to regulate everything is a little tough.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is pretty much my routine. I run about 5 miles a day 4-5x a week and I've cut out sweets and soda from my diet completely. This leaves room for adult beverages and I've been able to lose and maintain the weight loss for nearly a year. I run really early in the morning regardless of weather, hot or cold, unless it is pouring rain.

I do a small amount of core and strengthening work, but not nearly enough. I plan to shift at least one day of cardio over to abs and weights to tone things better.

Eric you never seemed like you had to loose a whole bunch of weight?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Not really, I just prefer going to the gym in the evening because there's hardly anyone there and I can easily go from one machine to the next without too long of a break in between. I do have a weight bench, so I guess there's really no excuse not to work out during mornings/afternoons. ;)

Yeah, I get it justin_havu....just bustin' you a bit because maintaining fitness requires a lot of dedication and hard work. But if it isn't fun, or more globally, if the benefits you experience don't offset the effort, then you won't maintain the activity. So always look for ways to make it fun (e.g., periodically change exercises, routines, cardio activities, environments, workout times, etc.) The first three to six months are generally the worst, especially after the excitement of starting something new wears off. However, the good news is that eventually the experience of feeling and looking good will become a reinforcing, self-sustaining factor.

- George Bernard Shaw

I play disc golf. Pretty much every day, if I can. Typically, at least 27 holes a day.

:cool:

dB

Tee of at 4:20? Ha! Nothing personal, I'm just riffing on the stereotypical disc golfer image.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

There are lots of ways to exercise, I think the important thing is to establish a routine and stick to it. Plan on working out 7 days a week, maybe you'll miss 2 and still get 5 in. Make it a priority. Once you build up inertia, healthy living is addictive. You get into some very positive reinforcing cycles, such as sleeping better, which gives you more energy, which helps you to work out more, you start thinking about how what you eat affects your ability to workout, and this naturally gravitates you towards better eating.

I run 3-4 days a week, swim in the ocean 1-2 days, and have a rowing ergometer (Concept II) in my garage for days when I cant' fit anything else in. The rowing machine is great because you can get a tremendous workout in 15-20 minutes once you get a handle on the technique.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

You get into some very positive reinforcing cycles.....how what you eat affects your ability to workout, and this naturally gravitates you towards better eating.

While I admire the purity of this logic, I often find myself erroneously adopting the position where, because I have worked out, I can now indulge more in less healthy eating (or drinking)! :facepalm:

- George Bernard Shaw

I know there's a topic on running floating around here, and I was inspired to start one on fitness in general: How do you stay in shape, your favorite exercises/routines, how does it benefit you as a gigging musician, that sort of thing. It's also a cool way to maybe motivate each other, and maybe trade workout ideas back and forth.

I'm currently following this free program with my gymnastic rings:

http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/ultimate-guide-gymnastic-ring-training/

I find it a lot easier to follow than their Rings One program. The lowest level of Rings One was fairly accessible to me - with the exception of a couple of exercises that were difficult or impossible to execute, but the next level of difficulty was too much - for example, one of the exercises at that next level is a Tuck Sit to Shoulder Stand - it required far more upper body strength and ab strength than what I'd built up from the lowest level, despite following the schedule (about 2 months to complete the lowest level), and repeating it one more time (2 more months of work). Even the lowest level had some exercises I couldn't do at all until I was one month in - like Tuck To Inverted Hang (you tuck your boddy while pulling hard, then straighten it upside down so you end up hanging upside down on the rings).

This free program is a better fit - it's just pullups, ring pushups, top position holds (starting position for Iron Cross), tuck sit, and "baby" muscle-ups - all accessible exercises for non-gymnasts. The only exercise I add to it is a shoulder bridge hold for time with my Power Wheel on my feet.

I like this kind of exercise because it involves movement, the satisfaction of being able to execute a new skill that I couldn't do before (eg. Tuck To Inverted Hang), and its easier on my joints than lifting weights or doing pushups on the floor. The satisfaction of learning new skills this way is more rewarding to me than lifting a bigger weight or performing an endurance routine for more time than before. As mentioned by someone else, motivation is a powerful factor in maintaining an exercise routine.

I can't say whether any exercise has benefitted me as a gigging musician because I don't play out frequently. When I would rehearse with a band for 4-7hours per session, it seemed like my fatigue was more mental than physical.

Crossfit. Google/map it, go to one of the free or introductory classes. Crossfit gyms are everywhere. Everything in a group and led/supervised by a trainer. Started this in Sept and fitness-wise it's been transformational.

I've always worked out and played sports and been in OK shape but I'm 48 yrs old and this has brought me to a level I haven't been at since my 20's.

Used to be a distance runner but the payoff vs the pain was getting to be too much. Ironically, since I cut my running way back and started doing crossfit, my times for anything less than 5k have gotten faster. Go figure.

Diet: robbwolf.com

I also play ice hockey but usually only once a week.

The strength I've gained from crossfit has really helped with the schlep!

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff