Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greg Phillinganes with Toto

wjwilcox

There is something to the visual impact of one's rig.

I had a pretty decent response for this.

But since KC is a family forum, and what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... yada, yada, yada... :laugh:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, Greg Phillinganes has a special gift and the best gig. Regardless of genre/style, he is capable of sitting down and playing the right sh*t on a record or live performance. He has been putting it down like that for several decades. His resume speaks for itself. :cool:

He's been a keyboard hero of mine since my childhood... years before I learned his name. :)

If I didn't have to schlep my own stuff, I can think of 4 or 5 boards I would like at my disposal. And I would most definitely have the crew set up some of those monolith-scupture-keyboard-stand-thingies for sure! Can't seem to find those at my local Guitar Center. :laugh:
Lenny

IMO, Greg Phillinganes has a special gift and the best gig. Regardless of genre/style, he is capable of sitting down and playing the right sh*t on a record or live performance. He has been putting it down like that for several decades. His resume speaks for itself. :cool:

Spectrasonics has a great video of Greg and George Duke jamming together demoing the sounds, it's worth watching whether you're a user or not.

I also saw Greg with Herbie at the JazzFest a few years back, incredible.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Since I have to move my own shit, I default to the 1or2 in front of me, but those times where I have ventured into more exciting territory of setting up in an L shape, it has never failed to elicit a comment or two of dude, that was rockin. It really wasnt. It was just more interesting to look at (not to hear necessarily).

Hell ya, if I had the space, I'd use 4 boards on stage!

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

it seems that the 3rd and 4th bars of the Rosanna solo is a sample being played back....

That's certainly how it looked. Jazz hand in the air... but he certainly could have played it.

Looked to me like his left hand was at least in a position to play it. I have no doubt that he could've done it.

Not a bad lineup. They got Simon Phillips on drums and Billy Gibbons on bass :laugh:

Actually, that's Leland Sklar on bass....with a beard that Gibbons can only dream about...

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Not a bad lineup. They got Simon Phillips on drums and Billy Gibbons on bass :laugh:

Actually, that's Leland Sklar on bass....with a beard that Gibbons can only dream about...

Oh I knew who that was... ;)

It would seem that sarcasm/humour, even when accompanied by an obvious smiley, is lost on some... ;):laugh:

This is one of my favorite Greg videos. Here, he visits the Steinway & Sons showroom.

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Oh I knew who that was... ;)

It would seem that sarcasm/humour, even when accompanied by an obvious smiley, is lost on some... ;):laugh:

Subtly has no place on the Net. lol

[video:youtube]

Check out the introductions at the end.

I can't believe I have never seen this before. My heroes. This prompted a nice Youtube crawl of about 1/2 hour watching Jeff Porcaro videos. Thanks for sharing.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

it seems that the 3rd and 4th bars of the Rosanna solo is a sample being played back....

That's certainly how it looked. Jazz hand in the air... but he certainly could have played it.

I'd give him a pass for playing that one part of it via sample. The original was of course recorded on DAMIUS.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I would like to thank the OP, Mr. WJWilcox for posting this thread. I also want to thank all the forumites in good standing here who added the links.

Africa and Roseanna are both great tunes that we all should study.

Now these songs are cycling round-and-round in my head & I can't get them out! :freak:

I first fell in love with the performances of Greg Phillinganes when he played on Anita Baker's album(s). What a tasteful monster! Of course, I had heard his work before. But when I heard the Anita Baker tracks, I had to find out who that guy is.

Listen at 1:42... Listen some more around 3:00... Oh heck, just listen to the whole tune! :laugh:

Now after you listen once, go back and listen again - this time concentrating on that bass line. WOWZA!! Somebody tell me for sure, is that Nathan East? Such tasty licks! :cool:

[video:youtube]L5aOjcUfigY

Ummmm... Like most everyone else here, I'm guilty of talking about hardware waaaay too often.

It's nice to discuss the music for a change. :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That extra feature clip inspired me to spend some time on the Getaway intro this morning, working on the main unison line in RH with the vibrato synth counterline in LH. It's clean... well, at 75bpm anyway.

I sub about once a year with a band that covers Rosanna and let's just say I'm glad they have a horn section.

Archived