Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOJO gets new sounds!

mate stubb

In that video, Max is using the synth bass option that comes with the new sounds. When an additional sound (Rhodes, Wurly) is enabled on the bottom, using the "Pedal to Lower" function enables a synth bass on the bottom two octaves instead of the Hammond pedal tone. The attack and the filter of the synth bass can be adjusted with the pedal drawbars.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the other guys made compromises... and why Guido did not.

Was it just the "bottom line" speaking?

It is an interesting question. Some of it may be a unique combination of good ears and engineering talent, sometimes one person figures something out that has eluded others. Some of it may be that Guido could do more with his PC-based hardware than the other companies could do with their proprietary platforms.

KeyB and now Mojo run software that was originally created by one enthusiastic person (Fredrik Kilander and Guido Scognamiglio.) Engineers can create great sounding software, but nobody obsesses like a musician.

Fredrik apparently gave up his independent development when he hooked up with KeyB. Guido has maintained his own projects, and is incredibly prolific. I can think of nobody else who has used modelling in so many diverse instrument types. It won't surprise me if he suddenly announces a competitor to Pianoteq someday.

As to new sounds in Mojo - we may or may not see other instruments in his stable added. I would NOT expect any sampled instruments to make it, but some of the lighter weight modelled instruments might.

I would love to see clav and CP-80 (both modelled) make it in at some point.

Moe

---

I would NOT expect any sampled instruments to make it, but some of the lighter weight modelled instruments might.

I would love to see clav and CP-80 (both modelled) make it in at some point.

Would be excellent !

You´re the expert and have a MOJO and the update.

My question:

Is it possible to play organ on upper and lower manuals while playing the modelled Rhodes or Wurli from another keyboard midied to the MOJO ?

Or is only the bass/synth assignable to a separate keyboard/MIDI controller device ?

A.C.

Good question, I'll have to check.

The culprit could be the original hardware MIDI and software/OS MIDI configuration because the MIDI In normally is for connecting a bass pedal, this assigned to MIDI channel #3.

But, if it would be possible to deal w/ an additional MIDI channel n+1 for the physical MIDI input, replacing MIDI channel #3 by MIDI channel #4 p.ex. and assigning a extra voice (Rhodes/Wurli) to THAT channel,- that would do the trick.

If it is not possible NOW, maybe it could be possible by a next OS update, but that would be a decision of Guido to realize it.

It´s not, I dislike the way the splits work actually, these make sense too, especially if you go out w/ the organ only,- but for some purposes, you may want to play the pianos w/ a weighted action using the organ as the only tone generator and if you don´t need the pedal bass/synth bass in the lower 2 octaves of the lower manual urgently.

A.C.

Perhaps some Mojo owners can verify this, but it seems that the Rhodes sound is an octave lower than normal.

I am not complaining.... to me , this would be good because I usually put an EP an octave down on any 61 note keyboard.

As far as the SK vs. Mojo debate I tend to agree with Hammond Dave. The SK 1 has hit stores around me by now and there is nothing about it that has made me want to get it. The chorus and leslie sim are not greatly improved over the XK3 and the EP's are nothing to write home about either. The hype that surrounded that board a year or so ago seems to me to be just that - hype.

But back to the Mojo...that Rhodes sounds good to me. If there is a Nord killer out there, it could be this.

I am close to ordering a Mojo too but damn it, Crumar has still NOT responded to my e mails. I hope that wouldn't happen of I had a problem with a unit.

By the way I demoed the C2D at NAMM and that wouldn't work for me either. I compared the C2D leslie sim to the Numa that was in the same vicinity and sorry, but I preferred the Numa. It was much more natural sounding.

LX,

Middle C on the rhodes sound is @ the 2 octave point, with 2 octaves below and 3 above. I believe that's the normal place for it to be on a 5 octave board.

The organ typically sounds an octave lower, but that's because the 16' drawbar is typically used.

However, you can transpose the pianos down 1 octave with a single button press.

If you are having trouble getting a response from Crumar, I would recommend contacting Guido directly. He's pretty responsive, and if you make it clear that you want to pull the trigger, he can get Andrea's attention.

Moe

---

It seems the Rhodes is in the same range as the organ on the Max/ Guido video.

As far as my questions to Crumar they had mostly to do with whether I can use a standard piano sustain pedal for a leslie switch and whether the new units come with the EP's already loaded. Also there was a question about whether an FC7 is considered long throw.

There was also a question about payment method... there is nothing on the site about debit payment.

But yes I am very close to an order, but the lack of response has effected my purchase decision so far.

LX,

I am in the process of ordering a Mojo, and I've had very quick response from the info email ID.. info@crumar.it

The gentleman I have been exchanging emails with, Andrea, has been very responsive and helpful, recognizing of course that they're in a different time zone, but I've always received a response within 24 hours to all my inquiries.

Good luck with your purchase..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

It seems the Rhodes is in the same range as the organ on the Max/ Guido video.

As far as my questions to Crumar they had mostly to do with whether I can use a standard piano sustain pedal for a leslie switch and whether the new units come with the EP's already loaded. Also there was a question about whether an FC7 is considered long throw.

There was also a question about payment method... there is nothing on the site about debit payment.

But yes I am very close to an order, but the lack of response has effected my purchase decision so far.

excuse me Sir... are you sure you are sending email in the correct address? I can't understand the problem... I'm here and always try to reply 20 hours a day, but surely no email from you!

Please write to info@crumar.it ... I'm waiting...

www.crumar.it

info@crumar.it

This video is useless for most of us.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eef53xM_8ds

Learning Italian is something I hope to do soon.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Who would buy an SK2 with this on the market?

Someone who doesn't want the other sounds only on the bottom manual. If you're playing in a jazz context, using the left hand and pedals, what good does having a Wurlitzer sound available only on the bottom manual?

Cool update and I dig what Guido and co. are doing but let's get the EPs and such on both manuals.

Someone who doesn't want the other sounds only on the bottom manual. If you're playing in a jazz context, using the left hand and pedals, what good does having a Wurlitzer sound available only on the bottom manual?

Cool update and I dig what Guido and co. are doing but let's get the EPs and such on both manuals.

Good point, Jim.... In my limited rock and blues styles I always used eps on the bottom manual, but I see your point regarding Jazz.

I give Guido a week before we see another update...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Big +1. Amazed no one wrote this before who plays in the "jazz context". I have been reading this thread mystified.

W.

Also read my post right before tompass on page 2. I was perplexed by this also.

Particularly I would like to have full use of the range of the Rhodes rather than having a split on the lower with a synth bass.

I don't quite get it, but the last time we bitched Guido posted sarcastically that perhaps we needed something similar to a Casio ( my interpretation).

I don't wish for or need clavs and such but 5 octaves of Rhodes or Wurli with lower manual organ would be just right.

Particularly I would like to have full use of the range of the Rhodes rather than having a split on the lower with a synth bass... 5 octaves of Rhodes or Wurli with lower manual organ would be just right.

The Wurli and Rhodes are a full 5 octave on the lower manual. If you don't have a pedal board, there is an *option* to switch the bottom two octaves of the lower manual to bass.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm not a jazzer, can you elaborate? What difference does it make if you play left hand organ on the top manual and wurli on the bottom, as opposed to vice versa?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Man that was quick! What I meant was 5 octaves of electric piano WITH bass.

I guess you could turn the percussion off on the upper manual and play bass lines up there and play the Rhodes and Wurli on the bottom, but it seems strange.

Everyone seems to be losing the idea that these extra sounds are a "bonus." The Mojo was made to be what it is - a killer tonewheel organ clone. For my money (which I spent) it is far and away the best sounding clone and it is only getting better with each update.

Guido added these extra sounds, basically, as a gift to people who buy the Mojo. The instrument wasn't intended to compete with the Nord Electro or Hammond Sk2 in terms of the flexibility of the extra sounds. Guido programmed it the way he thought most people might use it - EP on bottom, organ on top. The EPs have a few different, un-editable presets. He tossed in a few combo organs to boot. End of story.

No instrument manufacturer is ever going to please everyone. Rhodes on bottom and organ on top happens to be the way I have done it when I play in soul or blues bands for years. Lucky for me that Guido seems to think the same way.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Guido added these extra sounds, basically, as a gift to people who buy the Mojo. The instrument wasn't intended to compete with the Nord Electro or Hammond Sk2 in terms of the flexibility of the extra sounds. Guido programmed it the way he thought most people might use it - EP on bottom, organ on top.

I guess people play different (obviously). I would keep/prefer organ remaining on bottom still comping and including organ bass pedals and do treble-lead and/or chording rhodes/other non-organ on *top* for a change-up from lead organ if I used it. If the Rhodes were on bottom I think I would want the first two lower octaves splitable with organ drawbar-controllable. (not synth pedals), imo

W.

I'm not a jazz player, and I don't typically use left hand bass in my classic rock band, so I have always used the bottom manual for EP's and other sounds (using a separate synth module), and this was a concious decision on my part based on the fact that my Nord C2 would only allow percussion on the upper manual, so it made sense to always have organ on top so that I could have percussion whenever I needed it and other sounds on the bottom.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Dglavko

Just a quick update on the price of the Mojo in Canadian $$. the price for the full package delivered to Canada was $3068 US.. unfortunately the Canadian dollar is below par at this point (.96 cents vs the US Dollar) so the final Canadian price "all in" in Canadian dollars was $3200 Canadian.

Well worth it, as you cannot find a basic NORD C2D for anywhere near that.. and that price for the Mojo includes a gig back, half moon leslie switch, large expression pedal, and tax, duties and shipping!

Craig MacDonald

Perhaps some Mojo owners can verify this, but it seems that the Rhodes sound is an octave lower than normal.

I am not complaining.... to me , this would be good because I usually put an EP an octave down on any 61 note keyboard.

As far as the SK vs. Mojo debate I tend to agree with Hammond Dave. The SK 1 has hit stores around me by now and there is nothing about it that has made me want to get it. The chorus and leslie sim are not greatly improved over the XK3 and the EP's are nothing to write home about either. The hype that surrounded that board a year or so ago seems to me to be just that - hype.

But back to the Mojo...that Rhodes sounds good to me. If there is a Nord killer out there, it could be this.

I am close to ordering a Mojo too but damn it, Crumar has still NOT responded to my e mails. I hope that wouldn't happen of I had a problem with a unit.

By the way I demoed the C2D at NAMM and that wouldn't work for me either. I compared the C2D leslie sim to the Numa that was in the same vicinity and sorry, but I preferred the Numa. It was much more natural sounding.

Bullshit. Here we go again with the Hammond hating . There is nothing wrong with the SK series for what it is. For the organ tone is at least as good as the Nord sound out there that everyone is so in love with. I could care less about the other sounds as playing EP and acoustic sounds on a semi-weighted board is weak in the first place. That said I am curious about the Mojo myself.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived