Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Levon Helm in final battle with throat cancer

tarkus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this.

You can see that in later interviews that Levon was extremely grateful to be alive and performing after surviving his cancer battle for as long as he did.

He made the most of his remaining years with as much class as anyone I have ever seen.

This was one guy that just about everyone seemed to like.

He didn't pull any punches regarding his thoughts about Robbie Robertson's decision to put an end to The Band in his autobiography. I am glad that Robbie paid his respects while Levon was still around. Perhaps there is a lesson for us all there.

71 is still too young to lose Levon, whose spirit only seemed to grow younger as the years passed.

Seeing "The Last Waltz" was a fairly inspirational moment for me. I would have seen it in the 80s, on VHS rented from the local video store. We didn't know anything about it - probably just recognised some of the guest star names listed on the cover. By the first chorus of "Up on Cripple Creek" I was hooked. The energy was palpable. It was at once deeply rooted in tradition, and also incredibly progressive (check wah-wah clav mentioned above). Truly timeless. It taught me that in music you don't need to be constrained by the rules of genre. You can be clever AND soulful. You play a traditionally-crafted song AND be funky.

Thank you for the music, Levon.

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

I've posted this before here about how between the years of approximately '72-'76 I was a huge Band fanatic. The group out of St. Louis/Illinois I was in at the time covered a ton of their tunes.

Basically they were my second "Beatles". I saw them with Dylan in Denver but never saw them on their own.

This is classic Levon sharing the lead here from probably my favorite Band album. Cahoots unfortunately never got the acclaim of Big Pink, Brown album or Stage Fright.

[video:youtube]

RIP sir.. :(

Agreed - great album and highly influential for its time ... if you listen to what the Grateful Dead was trying to accomplish in the studio at this time it's a big "wink & a nod" to this album...

[video:youtube]

Richard Manuel handles the lead vocal on this tune, but listen to Levon's harmonies: they MAKE this performance! And then, listen to it again, and focus on the drumming. He propels this with a great swing, yet it feels relaxed, even at this tempo. Levon is a completely underrated drummer, but that's because his voice is so good. Levon, RIP. Richard, RIP; and Rick Danko, RIP.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I remember I was heavily into the Robbie Robertson solo stuff. He was interviewed and said The Band wanted to compete with the Beatles seriously.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I am really feeling this one.

The Band means an awful lot to me. My dog is named Levon (seriously).

I am very thankful he had the late career success that he did, and he seemed to truly relish every minute of it.

He will be missed.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

And a thought just occurred--it is sadly funny, or indicative of something crass, that a kind of roots fundamentalist roots culture arose around the Band, because they were anything but purists. On those first two albums, they sound like a chamber pop group masquerading as a roots rock band.

+1. I think the Band's willingness to adopt whatever style was right for the song is one of their greatest strengths. The only modern analog I can think of is Wilco. i.e. a band that came out of a roots movement but is also an adventurous pop band.

RIP Levon

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Interesing that few, if ANY, of these views were expressed befoe now.

EVEN when LH earlier (a few yrs back) dying of the same ailment

HERE'S HIS OWN COMMENTARY:

(ever listened ? / get ya ass in line !!!!!

)

d=halfnote

I can remember the first time I heard "The Shape I'm In"( studio version).

A friend of mine and I had gone to see the Woodstock movie and as we were coming out of the drive in, the radio station premiered the whole "Stage Fright" album.

I specifically remembered thinking that The Band had gone to a new level with this track. Garth's organ playing was revolutionary.... completely different than anything else out there.

Garth's organ playing was revolutionary.... completely different than anything else out there.

I don't think Garth gets enough credit... He's been a HUGE influence on me. My dad is a fan since day one, and he played the Brown Album to me a lot as a kid. Along with "Pet Sounds" it's probably the album I heard the most in my formative years.

It's sad to lose Levon Helm. Such a unique player and vocalist, and just a nice, soulful man.

I remember seeing "The Last Waltz" when I was a kid, the songs stuck with me, and in a way became a benchmark of what is a great song versus what is merely formula.

IF you can find a copy of the book "Across the Great Divide" it does a great job of examining the formation of The Band, and all its influences. While everyone of them could play it straight, none of them were merely pedestrian in what they brought to the song, and The Band is a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Such a classic line-up of instruments and vocalists, there was not much they could not do with all that talent.

Garth Hudson is hugely underexposed/underrated, especially when you consider that he did a lot of what he did pre-synth. I think no one has ever done a really comprehensive interview with him because he's a man of few words and seems to think in terms of the vast store of music in his head. I love watching those "Classic Album" making of vids, hearing the individual tracks and how they mesh together always astounds me.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Amy, Levon's daughter along with Alexis Suter were in the band I work with for about 2 years or so on and off depending on the show. We also shared a record company. That was 8 years ago . . .

Amy is a sweetheart like her dad and she worked with Levon in the past few years on his shows and recordings. She was/is? also in Olabelle. I had been a Band fan going back to Big Pink of course as were all my friends in those days.

Levon is a big loss for us all. . .He did a lot for the music in this region (NE) and beyond! If you read 'This Wheels on Fire', Levon's book, he says how in the 80's he very quietly went to collage at Berklee Collage of Music in MA in the lull period before the Band reunited in the 90's. He completed his BA in Music, kept going!

he will be missed . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

A huge, sad loss for music. The Band was concentrated genius...the writing, the playing, the singing...nothing like it anywhere. He'll be greatly missed, but he and his mates left a large stamp on music and left us with a timeless body of amazing work. Thanks for all the music Mr. Helm, and God speed.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Interesing that few, if ANY, of these views were expressed befoe now.

EVEN when LH earlier (a few yrs back) dying of the same ailment

HERE'S HIS OWN COMMENTARY:

(ever listened ? / get ya ass in line !!!!!

)

Ahem...

We love 'em when it's too late...

Why do you keep :deadhorse: ??? When it was announced on Facebook that he was in his final days, a LOT of people posted their thoughts and wishes. This thread was started *before* he died, albeit accidentally, and there were thoughts and wishes then as well. I'm sure some people didn't hear about it until it was too late.

So please stop.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

IF you can find a copy of the book "Across the Great Divide" it does a great job of examining the formation of The Band, and all its influences.

+1 :thu:

I read "Across the Great Divide" about 10 years ago. While I didn't know much about The Band other than a few songs, that book provided a great deal of insight into the personalities of the musos and inner workings of the band.

Levon Helm lived a life full of music. That is awesome. RIP. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ahem...

We love 'em when it's too late...

Dude, Levon won two Grammys in the last couple of years. Here in his home region, he was attended and feted by LEGENDS year 'round. His barn studio charged between 2 and 3k a day and was always in use. I just don't get what you're after. He felt the love. Believe it.

Now...Richard Manuel...there was a tragic fall.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

For whatever reasons, Levon Helm was able to move on from the breakup of The Band, and have a successful life afterward, and Rick Danko and Richard Manuel could not. That is a shame, because Rick Danko put out some great solo work and was also a fine bass player and vocalist, and Richard Manuel was also a talented player and with a unique and beautiful voice. That was the beauty of the Band, each one of them was a strong all-around musician who did not need to take a backseat to anyone, and together they created such timeless and enduring music, whether it was a serious piece or some simple rock'n'roll song. Three distinct lead vocalists, yet they made for great harmonies. The Band's work as a whole holds a top spot in my Desert Island record collection.

FWIW "Cahoots" is one of my favorite albums.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived