Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Earl Scruggs

Ken Beaumont

Bluegrass legend and banjo pioneer Earl Scruggs who pioneered the modern banjo style, has died of natural causes Wednesday morning at a Nashville, Tenn., hospital. He helped profoundly change country music with Bill Monroe in the 1940s and with guitarist Lester Flatt. He was 88.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Earl Scruggs.

You were best known (to most people) for the Beverly Hillbillies theme, but you were SO much more than that. What a monster and you helped shape the face of an entire genre!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Earl was a serious finger picker! Great work, long life, I hope he left the planet without too much pain.

RIP

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Whether you're into that music or not (and I have mixed feelings about it for sure), it's undeniable that he changed the way that instrument is played and defined a genre. Seriously, it is not a joke to say he was the Hendrix of the banjo.

I always thought that it would be fun to p;ay "foggy mountain breakdown" on piano.

Anybody ever see sheet music for this?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

He changed the instrument from a stage prop and accompaniment instrument to a lead instrument using string bending and scales.

Prior to him the banjo was mostly strummed. I'm quite sure Bela Fleck might not be where he is without Earl's contributions to the instrument.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Do I recall correctly Paul Schaffer taking a solo on Foggy Mountain Breakdown when Earl Scruggs and Steve Martin (and other banjo players who I can't recall) were on the show?

Ah yes, here it is:

[video:youtube]

"Men with banjos who know how to use them"... ROFL

I always thought that it would be fun to p;ay "foggy mountain breakdown" on piano.

Anybody ever see sheet music for this?

I used to have it in a book called "Earl Scruggs and the 5-String Banjo" back in the '70s. Don't know if it's still in print.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived