Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha iPad apps are cool!

EscapeRocks

As many of you know, I just got a new MOX8 to replace my CP33 and add to my rig.

So, now I have the MOX8 and a Triton Ex 61.

I also just got an iPad2. As such I've been messing around with some of the apps available like SampleTank, and Garageband.

I do have an iRig midi interface. I also have the Apple CCK to connect midi over USB. More on that in a bit.

The first app I downloaded was the Yamaha Setlist organizer.

Wow, very very cool. So far I have programmed most of my gig into it as far as Triton changes go. One button tap and the right combi bank and combi comes up on the Triton.

I am getting ready to add the MOX change info as I get the sound sets programmed.

Yes, in Master mode I could have the MOX send patch changes to the Triton. However, the way I set my boards up, makes the button presses not as fluid as I'd like in a gig situation.

The Yamaha App and iPad is like having a larger font type version of the Kronos setlist.

The instant scrolling from one song to the next, will make the times we change song order on the fly a breeze. Right now I have the 11 songs in set 1 programmed in the App.

The next very cool app is the Yamaha Performance editor.

This give me a large "workstation" type screen to create and edit my performances, all with very easy to understand buttons on the iPad.

It is compatible with the Motif XF, XS, s90XS/S70XS, and of course the MOX6 and MOX8. There's a drop down menu in the app that has you choose which your working with.

Once connected, you simply tap the "Receive" button on the iPad, and the current performance data is transferred form the MOX to the app.

Edit away to your heart's content. Then tap "transmit" and all your changes are sent back to the MOX.

All of the Performance parameters editable on the MOX are editable in the app.

So far, this has made setting up my new board a breeze for the gig.

The MOX is not officially supported by the camera connection kit. You will get a "device not supported" message on the iPad. However, midi over usb does indeed work flawlessly. You just can't use the MOX as an audio driver with the iPad.

I've connected to and played GarageBand sound, Sample Tank sounds, and even the Animoog so far from both my MOX and my Triton using the Apple CCK.

These two apps are $3.99 each and I think well worth it to me.

I can't wait to use the setlist app at our show this Saturday.

Here's a couple screenshots:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/IMG_0015.png

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/IMG_0016.png

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey that's cool.

Does it give you any way to back these up, even via the Applications tab in iTunes?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

can you explain the 1 thru 5 buttons under the program change switch heading? what do those do? this is a very cool concept and might be the excuse for me to spring for an ipad.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Joe,

You can share the set lists with other iOS devices. You can also email them from the drop down menu in the app. I emailed the set lists and saved them in a folder on my Mac. if I ever need to, I can simply email back and open the email on the iPad.

Dan, the 1-5 buttons are the actual buttons you tap to send the program changes.

Basically each song can have 5 separate activities. This comes in handy if you have a song in which you need to change programs during the song. It can also be used if a song uses 5 different hardware items.

For example, one song we play uses a completely different combi on the Triton for the intro parts and the main body of the song. It also uses a performance on the MOX.

So, for the intro part, I will assign the 1st combi to button 1, and the second combi to button 2.

That way I don't have to have separate list entries for the same song.

Here's a screen shot of the programming page:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/IMG_0017.png

In this example, the combi I use for the "Intro" is on button 1, the combi for the main part is on button 2.

These first two are for my Triton. The numbers you get from you hardware data. In this case My Triton global is set to midi channel 5. Korg Bank Map. This is telling the Triton to go to combi bank N, combi 1.

Now then, when I have the performance programmed in the MOX for this song, that will go on button 3.

To keep you from having to tap multiple times to send data to all your hardware, you use the link function.

You just tap the little circle next to the numbers you want to link. In this case I would link 2 and 3. That way, when I'm done with the intro, I can then tap 2 or 3, and both 2 and 3 would be sent to my hardware; 2 to the Korg, and 3 to the MOX.

You can link in any way you want; 1 to 5, 2 to 1, 4 and 5, or even link all 5 if you have 5 pieces of hardware used in a song.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty much learning by doing, and so far this stuff is cool, as I've said many times :)

David

This is cool, I was looking forward to something like this! It would be awesome if future versions have bidirectional communication, and can display actual patch names on whatever hardware/software that's generating sounds. Of course, using CCK, not the iRig.

Somewhat like the way the Vax77 can sync with, and display actual patch names on host software like Mainstage/Forte/Receptor. Currently, if there's any miscommunication inbetween the iPad and the tone generator, the actual patch won't be reflected on the app. A rather tiny fly in the ointment; an added layer of confidence would be nice. Still, in its current version, looks awesomely useful. :thu:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

That's really nice- I kinda figured that's what they were for but wanted to be sure. I could really use an app like this. I saw a 16gb iPad2 at Sam's club for 299. I was thinking I'd need a 64gb one but if I'm only running a few apps and not really using it for storage of things like samples, then 16gb might be fine.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

You can link in any way you want....

.....it, that's the way you need it, any way.....

Very cool, Dave. Thanks for sharing!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I wonder if you can pull up a patch list for an S90 'classic'...?

I have no idea. Would be cool.

One of these days I'm going to pay attention to what i type and stop leaving myself open, otherwise I may go my Separate Way and be Worlds Apart. :)

David

That's really nice- I kinda figured that's what they were for but wanted to be sure. I could really use an app like this. I saw a 16gb iPad2 at Sam's club for 299. I was thinking I'd need a 64gb one but if I'm only running a few apps and not really using it for storage of things like samples, then 16gb might be fine.

Dan, my iPad2 is a 16gb wifi only and it's just fine. I don't overload it with apps. I have not run into latency probs with SampleTank or Garageband.

Glad I could answer the questions. I'm just enjoying this, and as I said preivously, learning it as I go. I know there's otheres here who are curious, so figured I'd share my findings.

David

So where can I find out what devices its compatible with? Every link I find leads to the same one or two links, neither of which tells me what its compatible with. Can I use the iPad to send program change info to the Stage 2, and then have the Stage 2 send its embedded program changes to my rack?
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Tony, if I understand correctly, the Setlist Editor sends out standard Midi program change messages over the midi out of the iRig interface. so any board which responds to PC should work perfectly... I think the 'Performance Editor' app is Yamaha-only.
This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

So where can I find out what devices its compatible with? Every link I find leads to the same one or two links, neither of which tells me what its compatible with. Can I use the iPad to send program change info to the Stage 2, and then have the Stage 2 send its embedded program changes to my rack?

Tony, I haven't found a good list either. My experiment was truly an experiment.

One thing: while the iRig worked perfectly as far as playing sounds on the iPad from either the Triton or the Mox, it was balky at working with the setlist app.

Don't know why, yet, as the app showed it was receiving and transmitting.

That's why I changed to the Apple CCK and USB/midi.

David

One thing: while the iRig worked perfectly as far as playing sounds on the iPad from either the Triton or the Mox, it was balky at working with the setlist app.

Don't know why, yet, as the app showed it was receiving and transmitting.

Hmmm. Could it be because Yamaha makes their own iOS midi interface, a competitor to the iRig...?

David, how does that work? You use the CCK device, and plug a USB/midi interface into that? Or does the CCK send midi over USB?

Tony,

The CCK does send midi over USB. HOWEVER: Yamaha says you can't use the USB connection and the midi connections at the same time. So, to use the Yamah Setlist with both instruments you'd need something like the iRig, Yamaha's similar interface, or possibly a USB to midi cable as AnotherScott mentioned.

When I get home I'm going to test the iRig again. Yamaha says the Setlist app is fully Core Compliant, so I may have a setting wrong on one of my boards.

Again, I'm in the early stages of getting this all setup. I will continue to report my findings

David

So, to use the Yamah Setlist with both instruments you'd need something like the iRig, Yamaha's similar interface, or possibly a USB to midi cable as AnotherScott mentioned.

When I get home I'm going to test the iRig again. Yamaha says the Setlist app is fully Core Compliant, so I may have a setting wrong on one of my boards.

I would only interface the iPad with my NordStage 2. Send the program change from the iPad to my Stage; the Stage, in turn, being ordered to call up (say) Patch D12.1, hopefully would then respond correctly, and when the Stage went to D12.1, that Stage Patch would then send the information to the rack contained within D12.1.

So would I be able to get away with just the Apple CCk?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I would only interface the iPad with my NordStage 2. Send the program change from the iPad to my Stage; the Stage, in turn, being ordered to call up (say) Patch D12.1, hopefully would then respond correctly, and when the Stage went to D12.1, that Stage Patch would then send the information to the rack contained within D12.1.

Almost certain. I'll have an answer for within 10 minutes of getting home today.

Stage 2 can send/receive on MIDI & USB simultaneously.

One of these days I'm going to pay attention to what i type and stop leaving myself open arms, otherwise I may go my Separate Way and be Worlds Apart. :)

Ok, I'm going away now....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

One of these days I'm going to pay attention to what i type and stop leaving myself open arms, otherwise I may go my Separate Way and be Worlds Apart. :)

Ok, I'm going away now....

Chris, Never Walk Away!

groan..... :)

David

Almost certain. I'll have an answer for within 10 minutes of getting home today.

Stage 2 can send/receive on MIDI & USB simultaneously.

RedKey, cool.. Thank you!

David

Okay, latest update:

Still can't get the Setlist app to send program changes thru the iRig.

However, I can connect the iPad>CCK>USB Cable>MOX8

Then MOX8 Midi Thru or Out>Triton In.

This setup works. The confusing statement in the Yamaha manual was meant to apply only when connecting the MOX to a computer: USB or Midi cable, not both.

So, I am able to get program changes to both the MOX8 and the Triton Extreme using CCK with USB cable to the MOX, and midi cable from MOX to Triton Ex.

I will defer to RedKey on the Stage 2 info for Tony.

That is all :)

David

That's cool Dave, I was considering this app a few months ago as well. I might pick your brains a bit down the road.

Anytime, Dan. Don't mind sharing at all. My best learning is thru hands on, and I've already learned quite a bit in the week I've had my new MOX8.

Now that I have midi routing down, and the setlist app working, I can finish programming for the show this weekend.

With the addition the MOX and the iPad, along with my Triton Ex,I am now easily able to add more proper sound layers and have total rig control.

I will file a report after the weekend on how all this worked in the live setting.

David

Tested and confirmed. Works beautifully with the Stage 2, CCK & a USB cable.

The test was to control program changing the Stage that would further send program changes to attached MIDI modules.

The hidden gem in the software was the ability to "learn" the program change.

After hitting learn, you go to the keyboard you want to control and hit the bank and patch you want and the software recognizes both bank and patch numbers. It fills in the MSB & LSB for you. Cool!

On the notes pages, you can copy & paste notes from other apps.

Great piece of software. The arpeggiator app is pretty cool too. Starting to dig into that.

Thanks, RedKey, for that report and verification.

The hidden gem in the software was the ability to "learn" the program change.

After hitting learn, you go to the keyboard you want to control and hit the bank and patch you want and the software recognizes both bank and patch numbers. It fills in the MSB & LSB for you. Cool!

I had overlooked this function, as I thought it only worked with the Motif Xfs.

Wow is right. I just finished programming the setlist modes for the Triton in about 5 minutes for all 35 songs being played Saturday.

I just hit learn, then on the Triton hit the bank number, the program number, and hit enter. The Setlist app instantly populated the proper information!

This is why I love this place!

David

Archived