Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack synth modules

Sir Duke

I've searched to see if I could find anything on this but was unable to locate any info. So, I ask the following quesiton: If you were going to add only one rack synth module to your setup which one would you choose? The roland XV5080 seems to be a popular choice and bring a good price on ebay so that in and of its self would seem to be an endorsement. There are several Motif units for sale locally in the $600 to $700 range.
Hammond A100, Yamaha S80, Roland Juno Stage, Korg CX-3 Vintage, 65 Fender Pro Reverb, Warmoth Tele

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends what kinds of sounds you're most interested in, and what else you're using it with, and whether size/weight is an issue, and whether there's any specific functionality you're after... Just like the keyboards themselves, each has different strengths and weaknesses, otherwise everyone would buy the same thing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've searched to see if I could find anything on this but was unable to locate any info. So, I ask the following quesiton: If you were going to add only one rack synth module to your setup which one would you choose? The roland XV5080 seems to be a popular choice and bring a good price on ebay so that in and of its self would seem to be an endorsement. There are several Motif units for sale locally in the $600 to $700 range.

The Roland XV5080 is the best from the past you can buy used and the Yamaha Motif Rack XS is what I´d buy new for such a rig.

A.C.

What do you want it to do?

Ah, that's a good question. First I do not record so any studio considerations really don't apply. I guess what I'm looking to do is expand my available sounds and be able to layer more sounds and add a third keyboard without adding a third keyboard all in a live setting. I've read the thread on live VSTs so I'm going to be looking into that as well. To go that route I would need a better laptop. I'm going to look at the trial of Forte before I do anything. I'm at the point where I need to make some changes to my setup. My main keyboard is old so I want to upgrade. I need to get my brain wrapped around a direction and go with it.

Hammond A100, Yamaha S80, Roland Juno Stage, Korg CX-3 Vintage, 65 Fender Pro Reverb, Warmoth Tele

You can get a Motif classic rack for about $500, and I'd probably choose that over the 5080, but you can't go wrong with either. The Motif really sounds better to me than my FantomXr (which is later generation Roland), and I had the JV1080, and JV3080. Motif is only 1 rack space too.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

what I'm looking to do is expand my available sounds and be able to layer more sounds and add a third keyboard without adding a third keyboard

It sounds like your current two gigging boards are the Yamaha S80 and Roland Juno Stage, yes? And you're looking for a greater variety of "rompler" style sounds? (As opposed to say, VA synth stuff.)

I'm not sure that a XV-5080 gives you a lot of new sounds compared to the Juno Stage, maybe someone else can chime in on that. But if you're looking for better sounds in some specific categories, the same SRX cards you would add to the XV-5080 can also be added to the Juno Stage. There are also numerous other Roland variations with different advantages, like the small SonicCell, or the upgraded Fantom XR that gives you the ability to load custom samples.

The Motif racks would give you more and updated Yamaha sounds, though there are some unique sounds in the S80 as well. There are three generations... original, ES, and XS, though the XS is usually a bit pricier than the other options being discussed.

For a set of sounds that have a different heritage than Yamaha or Roland, a Kurzweil PC2R can be nice, especially with the Classic Keys ROM option, depending on the sounds you care about. Korg hasn't had much in modules lately, but a Microstation can practically be seen as a module that happens to have a small keyboard attached. (There's also the M3M which is probably overkill here...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Motif racks do sound great, but they're a bit of a PITA to get around on, between the tiny screen and limited front panel access to all functions ( the desktop programmer does help somewhat, but adds another detail to the 'mix').

I'd recommend the XV5080. Have had one since the late 90's. Plenty of space to work with, great sounds, and - unlike the Motif - expansion slots.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

If your S80 is still in fine form, and you don't mind the schlep factor, I'd suggest a Motif module, to upgrade your Yammie sounds. I used to have an S80 as well, but sold it for the lighter & upgraded S70XS. I had a Fantom X7 but replaced it with a fully loaded Xr when I got the XK3c.

That said, either the XV5080 or less expensive XV3080 will do the job for you. XV5080 is probably overkill if it's only going to be used for live work.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I havent heard it yet, but in about 3 weeks the MuseBox is going to be out. It is very small, has many many sounds, and you can plug in midi/wave files. I think it can layer and split two voices and can accept audio inputs from two other channels. im really interested in it.

I havent heard it yet, but in about 3 weeks the MuseBox is going to be out.

Hasn't it been a few months away for, like, two years? So then if they're saying 3 weeks, maybe we'll see it in 6 months...

The piano sounded very good in a solo setting one of the prototypes. (IMO) I have not heard any other sounds.

I was dissappointed that they were not able to hit the original projected street price. It is about $200 more than I was expecting. A $1000 seems like a lot of money for a VST plugin player that will not load 3rd party plugins. But the piano sounded really nice.

I guess it will depend on what plugins the box actually ships with. We should know in month whether it has been worth the wait.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Since it is now a Peavey Musebox, my assumption is Peavey has poured enough cash in to make it happen. Sweetwater is taking orders.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Hasn't it been a few months away for, like, two years? So then if they're saying 3 weeks, maybe we'll see it in 6 months...

From 2010 Namm

[video:youtube]

It sounds like your current two gigging boards are the Yamaha S80 and Roland Juno Stage, yes? And you're looking for a greater variety of "rompler" style sounds? (As opposed to say, VA synth stuff.)

If that's the case, I'd recommend some time with the manuals for the 2 boards the OP has, because they're both just fine to handle what he thinks he needs an external module for.

IMO, of course. ;)

If that's the case, I'd recommend some time with the manuals for the 2 boards the OP has, because they're both just fine to handle what he thinks he needs an external module for.

IMO, of course. ;)

+1

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

IMO, of course. ;)

+1

Goes to show what happens when I skim the original post, then write an opinion too quickly. If the OP feels it absolutely necessary to add a module this time, that's ok.... But, there's a lot of sonic firepower within the S80 and Juno.... I was provided an S80 for a church gig between 1998 and 2002, and was always discovering new things on it....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

IMO, of course. ;)

+1

Goes to show what happens when I skim the original post, then write an opinion too quickly. If the OP feels it absolutely necessary to add a module this time, that's ok.... But, there's a lot of sonic firepower within the S80 and Juno.... I was provided an S80 for a church gig between 1998 and 2002, and was always discovering new things on it....

+1000

Every time I think I need additional outboard gear, I discover new things I can do with my Triton Ex.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

First I do not record so any studio considerations really don't apply.
Rack modules are set up primarily as studio devices, with live performance a distant second in the minds of the designers. They're all kind of cumbersome and kludgy when you're trying to incorporate them into a live rig - with Motifs being notoriously so.

The XV-5080 is a great rack to park all your SRJV and SRX boards that you have laying around. Well it would be for me anyway - and why I kind of have one as a back burner purchase. If you have none it's ROM waveforms are very small in size, and dated.

My main keyboard is old so I want to upgrade. I need to get my brain wrapped around a direction and go with it.

This is the direction I'd go with if I were you.

It was announced in Jan of 09, over 3 years ago.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

It looks like the MuseBox is finally imminent. Between the recent ads - with Peavey figuring prominently, and Steve Fortner's post, in a recent thread, referencing his having a review unit I suspect we will see these modules shipping soon. Could be a good choice for the OP, as the MuseBox is a relatively compact piece - vs. a large, full size rack module.

Another choice mentioned was the discontinued Roland SonicCell, which can - with a little searching - be found used. It's replacement, the Roland SD-50, could be an option - though it isn't expandable via SRX cards, and has very limited programmability.

Modules that are two rack spaces - or even single space, deep units - are, as mentioned by Bill H., indeed cumbersome - unless one has a prewired, separate rack. And hopefully, there's enough stage real estate for that - though I find that room available varies a lot. I will sometimes lean a two space rack against my stand base, but frankly find it a PITA, setup-wise. As the OP does plan to add a module, a SonicCell is likely a better choice, space-wise, then an XV-5080. The SC could conveniently sit on top of the keyboard; it appears a MuseBox could as well - if strategically placed.

For small stage work I'm looking into pulling two SRX cards from my XV, and finding a SonicCell to go with my compact, 76 key weighted controller.

Archived