Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

______SUPER-TINY sound modules

jeff7b9

NanoPiano

Yamaha Mu series

Roland SD Series

Other ________

First and foremost, discuss.... experiences, attributes etc..

As for me- I'm looking for one of these. An 8in x 8in footprint would be nice, (if I had to go to a rackmount, then so be it) especially if I could operate it from the front and put my Voce V5+ on top of it for my 'stay home rig'.

- WHAT I'LL BE USING/ALL I CARE ABOUT (for this) is 60% EP 20% Clav 20% Piano

*not looking to go the laptop/software route. I have done that before, but I'd rather not for current purposes, my rig is beautiful and non-cumbersome with no wasted space and I don't want to have a screen and a big ass laptop detracting from it's beautifulness.

I've used the Nano, and while there were some nice sounds, the process of switching from the piano sound I'd use to say a clav I'd like was a pain in the ass in my dim lit studio. (16 banks of 16 controlled by rotating knobs on front)

Has anyone used a Yahama Mu series? if they have the same sounds as the Motif and I could get from a good piano to a good ep to a good clav without way too much hassle, then this could work.

Roland- I'd love some input here, I haven't ever owned a Roland keyboard. I've played on several but never owned one.

Other? Is there something else out there this small with good sounds? If so, do tell.

FYI- I tried the Ipod/App thing, while it did sound good and could work for certain situations, when I put it through the ringer it fell a bit short.

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Consider finding a Nord Electro Rack. I put mine right on top of my 88. You can put all the main sounds you'd want in presets that are just one quick button push, set up base effects in the presets and tweak the effects easily as needed. Clav, Rhodes, and Wurly are all killer, and I'm a big fan of the mono Steinway piano sound.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Roland JV-1010, XV-2020, SonicCell

GEM RP-X

Kurzweil ME-1

(and older... Yamaha P50M, Korg something or other... I don't really know anything about those)

The Rolands can take optional expansion cards for upgraded sounds. (The XV and SonicCell take newer SRX cards, the JV takes older cards.)

I'd probably pick the GEM for piano, though a lot of people like the Rolands with the SRX-11 card, and Kurzweil has its fans too.

EPs are probably even more subjective than pianos... some people are looking for something more bell-y, some like them dark... then there's the "bark"... and then Rhodes vs. Wurly... personally, I'd probably lean toward the Kurz but again I'm sure there are people who would prefer the others. (Roland also has the SRX-12 card for their better EPs.)

All of the modules are awkward for front panel patch selection... some worse than others. Ideally you want to use them with a controller where you can assign buttons to call up patches on an attached module. Alternatively, there are assorted tabletop devices, foot controllers, and iOS apps that can be configured to send MIDI Program Change commands.

Oh, there's also the V-Machine, which is tricky to set up, but you might be comfortable with it having at least gone the laptop/software route in the past. It can only handle lightweight plug-ins though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Roland JV-1010, XV-2020, SonicCell

GEM RP-X

Kurzweil ME-1

I'd probably pick the GEM for piano, though a lot of people like the Rolands with the SRX-11 card, and Kurzweil has its fans too.

Have you played on the Gem much? About 5-6 years ago I played on a 61key GEM which was (*supposedly) Keith Emerson's... that board was lovely. Pro something? - Found it- Promega 3... it sounded KILLER. If I could get my hands on something that sounded like that, I'd be into it.

(*sound guy said he was Emerson's sound tech. He had the board with him. He was doing sound on a pop singer gig I did in L.A.)

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Ketron SD-2 is worth a look. It's billed as mostly an sound module, but there's a lot of stuff and capability in that little box, including a pretty decent sounding piano. Since you're not looking for it to do organ, you don't have worry about mapping drawbar settings to it.

I performed with a GEM RPX for several years. Loved it!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

How are the clavs on the xv2020?

Are the stock sounds decent or would I need to get expansion cards?

*I'd rather spend less $$ if possible.

Rusty Mike- have you used the Yamaha Mu-100 or any in the series? they are also "billed as sound modules"... but they seem to have sounds that would work and are cheap as all hell. Supposedly they have the sound engine that was the predecessor to the Motif, in which case i'd think I would be pretty happy with pianos and eps and almost happy with the clavs.

I've been using a GEM RP-X for piano (jazz) for years now, and I haven't found anything that I like better. I use a Roland FP-4 for the controller. If I use the FP-4 internal piano, the guys in my band notice. They say the GEM is much more realistic.

Every now and then, I log on here and ask GEM RP-X users if they have found anything that they like better for piano. It's about time that I ask this again, but so far, the answer has been "no".

I only use "Piano 1" on the GEM. I prefer other alternatives to the other voicings.

Every now and then, I log on here and ask GEM RP-X users if they have found anything that they like better for piano. It's about time that I ask this again, but so far, the answer has been "no".

In a module, I find the Yamaha Motif Rack XS piano to be better than the RP-X. But it is a full-size module, not a half-size.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been using a GEM RP-X for piano (jazz) for years now, and I haven't found anything that I like better. I use a Roland FP-4 for the controller. If I use the FP-4 internal piano, the guys in my band notice. They say the GEM is much more realistic.

I only use "Piano 1" on the GEM. I prefer other alternatives to the other voicings.

Ditto that. I sold one recently and have had sellers remorse ever since.

Regarding the GEM gear...

What's the deal? Why is this stuff so rare? In one experience with it, I was blown away. I come on here, not even aware that the RPX existed and hear that it would perhaps be the best item for great sounds in a compact package.... why the big secret?

I haven't been to NAMM in a while since I live on the East Coast now, but how would anyone know about these things if they didn't run across Keith Emerson's sound guy by some chance celestial encounter?

Sadly the major music retail chains don't seem to carry them (Sweetwater/Musicians Friend, but they are only online) ... I guess you need to make room for more "strat packs" and $99 casios...

Regarding the GEM gear...

What's the deal? Why is this stuff so rare? why the big secret?

Well, IIRC, it's an Italian company, and their distribution/marketing was never great over here. You could order a few of their products, like the RP-X from the big online retailers, but I've never seen them in an actual store. There was a guy, and if I'm not mistaken he's a member here (Dave?), who used to do great demo videos and marketing for them as well as offer technical support for us in the U.S. He was great at what he did and we were all perplexed as to why they would get rid of such an asset. In hindsight, that was sort of the beginning of the end in terms of our ability to access information--let alone the instruments themselves--from GEM here in the U.S. I'm honestly not even sure if they're in business anymore.

p.s. a couple of the videos that I was talking about are still available on their websites. They are demos of a couple of their keyboard products, as well as a video on what makes their D.R.A.K.E. technology special. I think these provide a good example of what the RP-X would sound like in action (the rp-x .mp3 demos on the site don't work):

http://www.generalmusic.us/grp800.htm

http://www.generalmusic.us/promega3.htm

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

another vote for Xv2020 + electric piano expansion card. I use mine and i'm happy for 7,5 years now. You need to do adjustments/splits/layers/settings through the Xv editor, otherwise its a PITA. You can also add a second SRX card for more sounds.

Electric piano's sounds are not even near to the Nord Electro rhodes, but it's passable in a band context and the hole thing is very easy to carry and set up.

If you're looking for rhodes perfection, you've better go the Electro rack way.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

How about a tiny modular? :cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4533283208_ace14b1266.jpg

That is *really* tiny....but purty cool!

+1 on the GEM RP-X for acoustic piano. I gigged with one for years and it's a great sounding module. The only caveat I can offer is that it does not sum to mono very well - you can hear phase cancellation / comb filtery stuff happening. If you're going to run mono, I found that it sounds much better if you stuff an empty 1/4" plug into the unused output. The outputs are panned slightly, unfortunately, so you have to decide whether you want to favor the low notes or the high notes.

I imagine the only RP-X's you're likely to find are used ones because Generalmusic has apparently gone bankrupt.

Prior to that I used a GEM RealPiano, and that sounded great in mono or stereo. There were two issues with the Realpiano: the LCDs famously die on these units (fortunately I only used Piano 1 which is what comes up at boot), and there were some software stability issues. A couple times a year it would lock up and screech something awful. I never had any reliability issues with the RP-X.

The only thing I found that I liked better than the RP-X was the Bechstein in Akoustik Piano. Lovely, lovely piano and it runs in mono perfectly if you use the stereo width control. I was running it in a Receptor 2. But that hardly qualifies as a "Super-Tiny sound module" by any stretch of the imagination. I only mention this because the RPX compares favorably, all things considered.

Does that come with a magnifying glass, or is that an extra-cost option?

Well, after my "curious about modular synths" thread, I became even more curious... about modular synths, and stumbled across the "Tinysizer."

While it's more of a novelty, I can say it's also something I could slip into the studio unnoticed.

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Any suggestions on where to buy the GEM RPX?

Only found it available thru MF (3/26) and wwbw.com (3/19)

(ship dates, I guess they are waiting on GEM to send units out....)

I dig it. I dig the sounds, I dig the price and the size, I have many midi controllers and with the sound editor plus very solid sounds from what I've managed to hear, I think it is the one.

Now if I can't get one until mid march at best I am gonna go nuts and very well may buy an electro rack or a ne61 if I can find one cheap enough... (I've mentally committed to leaving my motif as a semi retired recording only piece and it currently resides in my recording setup, upstairs in my house)

What edition electro do I have to get to have a really good piano sound?

I played organ in a band where there was a piano player who used a NE- for eps and clavs only. When his yamaha was in the shop one day he used the nord.. yuck (just regarding the piano) I don't know what electro though, it could have been the first or 2nd, it was about 3-4 years ago. Maybe I should just wait until mid-late March...rrrrrrrgh.

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/474/cat/1/article.cfm

This was fun to play at NAMM.

I was involved in a multi nightmare live perfomance, where the timing was 2 hours behind, the gear I used wasn;t what I was told would be available, they got me a room in Compton not being from the States, and never hearing NWA before, in other words a clusterphuck, but afterwards I saw this little box and my life would have been so much easier with this available.

Elec.Pno comps were instead the Jump OBX sound, IEM's didn't work.....and the Helicopters flying above Compton all night keep me awake.....

Great little box though.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

What edition electro do I have to get to have a really good piano sound?

Right, and unless they've changed the factory defaults, you also have to download it (or them) from Nord's site. So, if you play one in a music store and are underwhelmed by the NE3 piano sound (as I was), take heart that it likely isn't the best of them. I've since had a chance to play a couple of the better downloadable pianos and they make the difference between "I could stand this, but I wouldn't really like it" to "I think I could learn to really like this".

- WHAT I'LL BE USING/ALL I CARE ABOUT (for this) is 60% EP 20% Clav 20% Piano

Considering this ratio, I wouldn't bother with the RP-X. The EP sounds are not on par with the Electro or the SRX-12.

Also, considering the ratio, why is everyone debating acoustic piano sounds? :idk

Archived