Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1: from GAS to pass?

Dana.

It's not a Rhodes, or clav, or wurli. I tweaked sounds out the wazoo, back and forth from my eps to the sv1 trying to get the same feel and sound out of it. It just doesn't have the same feel, and really doesn't come close when played side by side against a Rhodes or wurli.

Of course it doesn't. It's a digital approximation with a different action. But your inability to get the sound you want out of it exposes a huge flaw in the SV-1, which is that you're essentially stuck with one Rhodes sound, and if you don't like it, it's a no go.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a Rhodes, or clav, or wurli. I tweaked sounds out the wazoo, back and forth from my eps to the sv1 trying to get the same feel and sound out of it. It just doesn't have the same feel, and really doesn't come close when played side by side against a Rhodes or wurli.

Of course it doesn't. It's a digital approximation with a different action.

This resonates with the argument in the VR-09 thread where it has been suggested that unless it sounds and feels exactly like a B3, it's no good. I like the sound of the SV-1 on its own terms. I find that I can play it creatively, and enjoy the way it sits in the band mix. No Hammond tonewheel sounds identical to another, and no Rhodes sounds exactly like another, and the SV-1 captures the spirit of Rhodes/Wurli, even if it is not identical.

But your inability to get the sound you want out of it exposes a huge flaw in the SV-1, which is that you're essentially stuck with one Rhodes sound, and if you don't like it, it's a no go.

Not quite. There is a variation available in the soundpacks that is essentially the same as the basic MkV found in the Krome et al. It is quite a bit different from the original, bell-heavy (MkII?) in the SV.

Loading the sound pack was a must for me, it improved the AP and Rhodes in my opinion. I am happy with mine.

At first I wasn't sure about the action, but I have since adjusted to it and after 6 months, I haven't had any issues noted in the earlier models. This board is just a lot of fun to play, the EP's sound great and I like the AP much better then the ones in my Kurzweil SP4-7 which this replaced.

There were a lot of variability in Rhodes. The suitcase model I had I don't recall was anywhere near as fun to play. The key action was horrible on mine.

So for me, I enjoy playing mine live. No other analysis needed.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Pardon the thread resurrect. But, I had a blast playing a Korg SV-1 a few days ago. For me, the EPs alone are worth the price of admission.

I hope Korg has resolved those QC issues. If anything ever happens to my Motif (theft, fire, eBay, etc.), I'd cop an SV-1 88BK in a NY minute.

In the meantime, I need to pop a Tums before GAS turns into a fire sale. :laugh::cool:

Prof,

This sounds vaguely familiar:

From 2011.

Right now, I have a bad case of musician/writer's block. :laugh::cool:

Prof,

You need to cop an SV-1 pronto. :):cool:

Regards,

Joe

:laugh::cool:

Of course it doesn't. It's a digital approximation with a different action. But your inability to get the sound you want out of it exposes a huge flaw in the SV-1, which is that you're essentially stuck with one Rhodes sound, and if you don't like it, it's a no go.

I would never compare a DP side-by-side with the real deal. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. :D

H8ll, there is a difference when comparing two acoustic pianos or electromechanicals side-by-side. :laugh:

D is right. The SV-1 like every other ROMpler or DP are digital facsimiles (sampled or modelled) of the real deal. So, I don't expect a digital KB to sound or feel exactly like the real thing.

I want a variety of EPs in one box that inspires and motivates me to play. The key (no pun intended) is finding a KB with the *right* finger-to-ear connection.

I haven't been a Korg fan since I owned an M1 back in the day. I only bought the M1 because it was a game changer at the time and I was gigging a lot. :)

The last Korg KB I was impressed with was the Triton Extreme. Of course, the Kronos has a lot going for it. Not quite a game changer but I understand the appeal.

I think I'm more impressed by the fact that the SV-1 is fun to play without sounding like a Korg. ;)

D8mn...brotha Joe-P-Stradamus tried to point me in this direction 2 years ago. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

But your inability to get the sound you want out of it exposes a huge flaw in the SV-1, which is that you're essentially stuck with one Rhodes sound, and if you don't like it, it's a no go.

Not quite. There is a variation available in the soundpacks that is essentially the same as the basic MkV found in the Krome et al. It is quite a bit different from the original, bell-heavy (MkII?) in the SV.

To clarify, I was referring to the fact that the only Rhodes sampled was a Mark I. If memory serves, Korg confirmed that all the Rhodes sounds in Soundpack 2 are variations on that sample.

I consider it a big shortcoming of the SV-1 that it only offers one model of Rhodes.

It's a digital approximation with a different action.

Good point. I wasn't really expecting it to sound exactly like a Rhodes, but I did expect more of that delightful EP-playing experience that a real Rhodes gives me. Something about the soft-note dynamics just could not be gotten right. I tweaked velocity curves, as well as every parameter I could find in the PC editor. It just wouldn't settle down when playing softly, if I recall correctly. It's been about a year since I sold it.

The dynamic details I'm referring to aren't impossible to recreate. The scarbee rhodes does a fine job of it. The 4-velocity-layer samples I made of my suitcase 88 do a pretty good job of it. It can be done.

Maybe the keybed is the source of my beef. I don't think I ever tried playing the SV1's EPs via a MIDI controller, nor did I try playing Scarbee's Rhodes via the SV1 as a controller. I wish I had done that so that I could have a little bit better idea of what it was that caused my consternation with the SV1.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

I consider it a big shortcoming of the SV-1 that it only offers one model of Rhodes.

So does a real Rhodes!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

So does a real Rhodes!

You've missed the point I made in my earlier post which is that if you don't like the way it sounds, it's a no go. Also, considering Nord and Yamaha have offered multiple models for many years, there's no excuse for Korg not to as well. Even Korg's own Kronos and Krome best the SV-1 in this area now. But I don't want to...

:deadhorse:

So does a real Rhodes!

You've missed the point I made in my earlier post which is that if you don't like the way it sounds, it's a no go. Also, considering Nord and Yamaha have offered multiple models for many years, there's no excuse for Korg not to as well. Even Korg's own Kronos and Krome best the SV-1 in this area now.

I should have added a smiley so you'd know I was being a smart-ass. ;) Your point is well taken.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Even Korg's own Kronos and Krome best the SV-1 in this area now.

You already what I'm gonna type but I'll do it anyway... ;)

IMO, the Kronos and Krome have a better variety of sounds but they aren't as much fun to play.

Since an SV-2 isn't on the horizon, maybe Korg will offer a Kroni soundpack upgrade for the SV-1. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

IMO, the Kronos and Krome have a better variety of sounds but they aren't as much fun to play.

You know what's even more fun to play? That mint Rhodes Mark II in my avatar. :D

That trump card was burning a hole in your hand so you just had to play it. :laugh:

Fair enough. New York isn't that far away. I'll let you know when I'm on my way. :cool:

PD

I had to stop in GC this morning (I know, right?)to buy guitar strings as I didn't have enough time to get to Washington Music Center before work. I played a SV-73 for the first time. I have to say I really liked the action. Couldn't get too much of an impression of the sounds, but seems like it would fit nicely on top of my A-100. Waiting for the Roland RD 64 though, that price point is nice. Time will tell.
:nopity:

• 2 years later...

Pardon the thread resurrect again. I just tried a SV1 73 Black in the store, no noticeable key gaps and a Japan sticker on the top key. Loved it. Couldn't stand the action on the Nord 4 HP 73, and the Piano2 was not in the showroom. Took one look at the Krome 88 and thought, "yuck, another computer."

Are you guys still playing the SV1? Obviously, I can see that the future is bright for Nords, with the ability to actually change the samples - but on the SV1 you can only change the settings/effects/EQ on the ROM samples. But - if the Korg keybed is fixed now, and you all find it's holding up after years of use, why not? I'm yet to try a Nord Piano/Piano2 - hopefully in a couple days.

Korg SV-1. I distribute and upgrade 10-string harps.

NEW, for Kawai MP Users--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMPusers/

Formerly: Fender Rhodes MkII, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Pulse+.

Pardon the thread resurrect again. I just tried a SV1 73 Black in the store, no noticeable key gaps and a Japan sticker on the top key. Loved it. Couldn't stand the action on the Nord 4 HP 73, and the Piano2 was not in the showroom. Took one look at the Krome 88 and thought, "yuck, another computer."

Are you guys still playing the SV1? Obviously, I can see that the future is bright for Nords, with the ability to actually change the samples - but on the SV1 you can only change the settings/effects/EQ on the ROM samples. But - if the Korg keybed is fixed now, and you all find it's holding up after years of use, why not? I'm yet to try a Nord Piano/Piano2 - hopefully in a couple days.

I hope you don't mind that I'm passing on my PM response to you as I seem to get a plethora of PMs regarding this topic. :)

Hi Teddy-

Yes , I've had 2 SV1s and sold / returned both. I didn't like the decay , sustain and action of the Korg's pianos.

I've also used both the original NP 88 and NP2 for almost 4 years combined. I finally got frustrated with the Nord / Fatar action , along with the un-evenesss of the piano samples in the higher registers. I mainly used the Fazioli XL sample.

I bought the Yamaha CP4 in May of '14 and have been using it as my only keyboard since. Like any electronic keyboard that attempts to emulate an acoustic -- it's not perfect , but I like it the best out of anything out there or that I've tried so far.

Some people on the forum rave about the new piano on the Kurzweil Forte. I just played it briefly at NAMM through headphones . It was very nice but hard to tell how it would work in a band / jazz setting for me. But the heavier weight, price and overkill with the abundance of sounds , pretty much took it off my radar.

The CP4 is simple, light and easy to use.

Yes it's almost impossible to try everything you want in a store these days. You do almost have to go on reviews on keyboard forums.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Dave, I don't mind in the least; thanks for sharing with the community. I'll also copy/paste my reply PM below.

So JoJoB3, I take it you're still playing your SV1? If so - which model/year, and how's it holding up?

I'll ask around here and try to get my hands on a CP4 (maybe have to settle for CP50 or a CP5).

---snip---

Thanks Dave for writing back. Simple, light and easy is what I also need for an only/main keyboard. And, Yamaha certainly has a proven track record with action and keybeds.

I find myself often playing with a drummer but no bassist, so I really need the Rhodes sound to bark well and be expressive.

Nord piano samples (and maybe Fatar) will improve in the future, but Yamaha and SV sounds will only improve thru switching out the whole keyboard. I've also heard good things (on forums) about the Forte, but I don't know if it's even available here in Israel; things are different in a tiny marketplace.

I'm actually surprised I don't hear more mentions about Roland "Supernatural" sounds. For years I heard that Roland has got The Sound, but these days I come across a lot of Nord fanboys.

---snip---

and so I really expected better EP's from the NE4HP.

But, now I realize from reading the forums that NE has an organ focus, and SV1 has an EP focus. Seems about right to me.

One poster phrased it something like:

"NE brings pianos and EPs to organ players,

SV1 brings organs and EPs to piano players"

(or maybe it was "SV1 brings organs and pianos to EP players??")

I don't know if that seems accurate or not to you guys, but since EP and hammer action is more my style, and also AP, after trying the Electro4 I just can't consider it. The SV1 is still in the running for me, IF the keybed issues are sorted out and people are still getting good reliable use out of it in 2015.

As for the CP4/Nord Piano, I'll search the forums for any news about the EP/AP sounds they contain.

SV1 seems to have the EP real good, AND it's got soul! But my concern there is how the keybed is holding up with all those quality control issues.

Evidently, any new SV1 soundpacks are going to come from US, not Korg, unless somehow the SV1 gets a surge in sales.

By the way, some possibly good/interesting SV1 news, maybe to encourage new buyers:

That SV1 73 Black I played in the store had SPLITS in the Favorites.

After checking forums, I now realize those come from Soundpack2 (or 1?) Anyway, this proves Korg DID start shipping SV1's with updated presets, whether it was 2010 or 2012, I don't know. I'm not positive those are the correct dates for the Soundpack 1 and 2. The sales guy said he's had the SV1's for about 3 years...

Secondly, as I mentioned, it had the sticker on the top key (High C?) telling me the keybed is from Japan. Doesn't that mean a new (quality controlled) keybed?

Only other interesting stuff in the store (piano-wise) was Casio (PX350M, PX150, PX A100), Kawai (ES7), Nord (NE4HP, and one NP2--he said another day they'll drag the NP2 out of storage for me, and receiving a shipment of NS2s in 2 weeks). No Yammies nor Rolands. I see Rolands in other shops but usually only Fps, and I'm unlikely to do that, nor Casio, unless some sound/feel really blows me away.

I appreciate these forums because these days it's really hard to find good examples in showrooms.

I sure am thankful for these forums, and I hope I contribute in a helpful way.

Teddy

I still have, use and enjoy a SV-1 (88 key, black / newer version). Still does what I need it to do.

I tend to think of it as something hard to compare to others, because of its layout. IMHO, nothing does what it does as well. That being said, it will lose everytime when held up against something that is primarily a DP (as in CP4) or multi-purpose Rompler.

If you want Rhodes, Wurly, Clav & piano and you come from the old school approach of having a bunch of pedals (phase / wah / flanger / distortion / delay etc) that you can dial in on a whim, without prior planning / forethought, this thing rocks.

If that description doesn't fit your need, look elsewhere.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Good to hear your SV1 is working well mcgoo. Yeah, I used to put 3-4 pedals on top of my rounded-top Suitcase; lots of fun, I like the "no forethought" style.

I definitely feel that Rhodes, Wurly, Piano & Clav are what I want (in that order).

Since Waldorf Zarenbourg never got off the ground, this might be it.

Guys, it's beginning to sound to me that Korg got that RH3 thing all sorted out. Therefore, for everyone on this thread, SV1 fans, and buyers who were disappointed pre-July 2012, seems to me it would be to everyone's benefit to give the new-improved SV1 another listen, maybe a repurchase. Maybe build a buzz and get Korg to design some new soundsets, at least, if not a SV2 eventually.

Unless it's too niche/not niche enough. But sales are good, and it's worth it to reverse all the bad press that the Red SV1 racked up before 2011. Hey, it might not be for everyone, but if it's for *someone,* it's great to give it a PR boost and reward Korg a little for fixing the RH3.

Just curious: What would it take to get a bunch of fans in on a project: Get/hire a bonafide geek to hack in there and write some new code, update the editing software to have more power? EPROMS, even. I know I'm getting kinda far out, but what if?

since EP and hammer action is more my style, and also AP, after trying the Electro4 I just can't consider it. The SV1 is still in the running for me, IF the keybed issues are sorted out and people are still getting good reliable use out of it in 2015.

As for the CP4/Nord Piano, I'll search the forums for any news about the EP/AP sounds they contain.

The Nord Piano EPs won't be any better than the Electro 4 EPs that disappointed you.

Other boards worth checking out that haven't been mentioned: Kawai MP7, Kurzweil Artis, Casio PX-5S. The Casio has the same action as the Casios you mentioned, but better (and more customizable) piano and EP sounds. Similarly, the Kawai has the same action as the ES7 you mentioned, but better and/or more customizable piano/EP sounds. The Artis should feel about the same as the Nord 4HP you tried, but of course has Kurzweil's piano/EP sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for that great info, AnotherScott. I'll have to check those boards out, see what I can find. You've given me some good targets. Scott, didn't you use to have a SV1?

Someone mentioned a PX310 as a "Casio with soul," and I just spotted one in the classifieds in my area (Tel Aviv). I think I'll prioritize checking that out over the NP1.

Meanwhile, with the new Electro 5, looks like there might be some new EP sounds coming out soon:

That's my last post before the weekend Back in a few days. For this weekend I'll have to suffice with the ol' Technics KN2000. :eek:

Thanks, guys. :-)

I have an SV1-73 no complaints here. No key issues, I store it horizontally. Its highly portable, easily fits in about any car other than a two seater. And has a fantastic finger to ear connection for the EP's along with a very respectable sound. No the acoustic piano wouldn't be my choice for solo piano. But then for that I would use software or the real thing. And there is something about the knobs, lack of LCD and the tube drive that just give it character.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Why is this zombie thread making me GAS for... a Nord Piano again, FFS?

Aidan, fight it mayne. The CP4 is just fine. :thu:::cool:

PD

Prof, I know that really. TBH I've never been so happy and settled with my choices. Aargh!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I'm still mulling over getting a SV173BK myself. For the money, I don't think a better Rhodes clone exists.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived