Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for Billy Preston albums or videos

dazzjazz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Complete Vee-Jay Recordings. The reason I recommend that is a lot of the songs are shorter and show a lot of his licks, he plays in octaves a lot. It is a good look into different gospel runs he uses. Also understand he was a mother fucker of an organ player and has some of the best instincts I have ever seen.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I think his 2 best albums for me, taken in their entirety and not just for keyboard playing, are That's the Way God Planned it and Encouraging Words.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

"I Wrote A Simple Song" - 1971

Billy Preston's B3 settings (and they way his Leslie is miked) are my favourites and when I set up a Hammond, that's what I'm going for. It's a signature.

Here for the gear.

The Complete Vee Jay Recordings has all the tracks from his first album, Gospel In My Soul, which is pretty much my favorite gospel keyboard playing ever. It's all instrumental hymns on solo organ, piano, or both (overdubbed). A couple tracks have drums too, but other than that it's all one big keys fest. And it is awesome.

Also, while it's not his album, Ray Charles' Crying Time has some great playing by Billy.

This is not the best example, IMNSHO, but look at pics of Billy Preston, especially when he was younger like the cover of that VeeJay collection, and compare those to Tracy Morgan

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/18/128950885635853198.jpg

http://cb.sacdstatic.com/l/52/4852/614852.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2012/01/Tracy-Morgan-Funnyman1.jpg

Anyway, back to the music...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Damn you Joe! Now I can't stop hearing "That's The Way God Planned It" in the voice of Tracy Morgan's "30 Rock" character!
:laugh:

And every once in a while, he throws in "Liz Lemon" at the end of a line. Grizz and Dot Com just shake their heads. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I liked the early 70's stuff.

I Wrote a Simple Song. - Outa-Space is pretty funky.

Music is my Life. - Some of the cuts I didn't personally care for but the record was a great overview of some fantastic gospel hooks.

Everybody Likes Some Kind of Music.

The Kids & Me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived