Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK2 - My Impressions

resigned

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the lighter blue shade, second form the bottom.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I could see one of those on top of ones of these big time:

http://www.vintagevibe.com/images/product/medium/762_2_.jpg

Busch.

ot-the Vintage Vibes are very nice. I've played them at NAMM 2 years in a row now but for those seeking the *Herbie* vibe from their rhodes, this ain't it...fwiw

But after playing it daily for a while I am in love with the extra voices being assigned to the lower manual while soloing on organ on the top. .

Brian Auger inverse...

[video:youtube]

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Brian Auger is great.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

another example.

no PA (no stage at all :laugh:)....

SK2 direct out to the Roland SA-1000 (into the same Roland SA-1000 there are voice and acoustic guitar too - but the singer does not pull up the volume of the acoustic guitar in every song ;) -).

please note that this was TOTALLY IMPROVISED, after a certain number of red wine bottles and a HUGE amount of LASAGNE....

:laugh::crazy:

and:

and the other videos in the same playlist of mine....

ciao!

Marco

It certainly does the job and cuts. Sounds authentic to me.

• 2 months later...

all played by myself, all IMPROVISED, as usual:

impro

organ and piano sound come from SK2 (direct from line out to mixer - eq and reverb from te SK2).

drums played in real time on a vdrum kit (sounds come from Superior Drummer - New York Studios).

bass is a Fender Precision Custom Shop Relic + MarkBass Mark 1 Studio (speaker simulator)

Awesome!

• 1 month later...

I bought the SK2 in January, but only now have I discovered how really good the rhods is in SK2!

I also have a nord stage 2 ha88, which is in L shape with SK2 on stage. But sometimes it's really nice to play rhods on SK2 while hammond on either keyboard!

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Likewise I was using a Korg SV-1 in an L-shape with the SK2 on stage but now I use the SK2 by itself. The Rhodes sound on the SK2 is very nice and I like playing the organ on upper manual/Rhodes on lower manual... it really makes some of the ballads. It's very convenient having multiple sounds on dual manuals in one keyboard, plus the band likes how compact my rig is when I use just the SK2. Win/win.

I'm working on some videos from my gigs... will post soon.

I like the compact rig idea, but I cant get rid of the weight keys when playing AP. I also need the pads, leads, crazy sounds, fantasy sounds, samples etc etc that Nord has.

I like the compact rig idea, but I cant get rid of the weight keys when playing AP. I also need the pads, leads, crazy sounds, fantasy sounds, samples etc etc that Nord has.
I would've agreed with you not long ago (I have a CP300 myself) and I can't tell you how many keyboard combinations I've gone through in the past two years: pianos and synths, pianos and organs, piano and iPad (my current solo rig)... but I think it's the old-school appeal of getting back to a dual manual Hammond organ that hooked me and the bands I play with. And to start with I was only going to play two-handed organ on it and use a piano on the side. Then I found it easy to adjust to playing piano on the unweighted lower manual of the SK2. Not to say I'll always skip taking a piano to band gigs but for now it's working for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to use the SK2 again for a gig.

no practice before the gig, just a telephone call from my friends: "ciao, tonight we are playing....."

OK, so everything was 100% improvised!

:-)))))

(we are not playing together since 2002....)

audio taken with a ZOOM H2 in front of the stage.

everything was done in a real hurry, so no soundcheck....

I discovered (from the first song) that the SK2 was going out in mono (despite my stereo connection....)

Sounds like a real B3 to me.

Looked like a party to me? Do you prefer playing stereo out with SK2? If stereo out sounded as good as the SK2 sounded through earphones, I would consider carrying a second amp for stereo.

I had some chances to use a SK2 (given me by a friend of mine) during these last months.

It sounds good (at his best) in STEREO, no doubts!

I used it with my Roland SA-1000 stereo amp in a couple of small rooms/pubs and it's like ("like") having my leslie behind me.

I also used it on two big stages with powerful PI, in stereo too, with great sound.

As I told in my previous post (concerning the linked video), playing in mono is like "missing something".....

If you need a great sounding stereo amp, the Roland SA-1000 is a great choice.

Or, but I never tested it here in Italy, I'm also curios about the Traynor K4 (stereo too).

ciao!

Sorry for the cross-posting.... This is some video of me playing the SK2 through a Motion Sound KP-500sn stereo amp. This was recorded with a New iPad so you can't hear the stereo effect but it sounds great onstage.

Archived