Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Dubstep here to stay?

stepay

My 11-year-old son now likes Dubstep. Do I hate that genre because I'm old or because I have musical taste?

Also, how long will this horrid stuff infiltrate my life (it's beginning to appear in movies that I like)?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an electronic form of dance music that is very repetitive and popular with kids these days. Lots of dubstep in the recent movie Limitless, so I fear I may not be able to escape it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'm still not convinced I could listen to a piece of music and recognize it as dubstep, based on the examples above.

Are there no unique defining characteristics?

[video:youtube]

What nearly all dubstep has in common is the big squelchy noisy breakdowns shoved into it, which definitely make for a more interesting sonic experience than the average 4-on-the-floor techno...

Err, yeah. When you use examples of other equally unknown genres to me to define the one I am trying to learn about, it doesn't help.

All these new genres seem incredibly incestuous. They seem to be called different things based on a lot of nonmusical stuff, like where they originated.

Moe

---

Err, yeah. When you use examples of other equally unknown genres to me to define the one I am trying to learn about, it doesn't help.

First paragraph: Its overall sound has been described as "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals".

As for these genres being incestuous, they are. That's how modern electronic music is, especially in the UK.

Techno (or House, if you prefer) is the stuff commonly played in clubs here in the states for the last several decades - it's a straight beat with a quarter note kick that runs like clockwork (hence "4-on-the-floor").

I used that term because I figured everyone knew what techno is.

And the "subgenres" of electronic music are beyond incestuous. One of the silliest electronic subgenres is called "Acid" - its only identifying factor is that its signature sounds are derived from abusing a TB-303 drum machine.

I'm not remotely into this music or anything related to it, but as for the "incestuous" comment, my perspective as an outsider is this: any slightly new and innovative twist becomes its own genre. And by "slight," I mean to the point of taking an established style and doing nothing but laying a synth pad over top of it, and calling that a new genre. The features that distinguish them are so minor and arbitrary as to be inconsequential to anyone who isn't immersed in that world. At least, that's my reaction to how they've been explained to me by those "in the know." Something that to most of us would just seem like a slightly different arrangement becomes a genre unto itself.

Then again, lots of people think Bill Evans and Horace Silver sound just alike, so what do I know...

I'm not remotely into this music or anything related to it, but as for the "incestuous" comment, my perspective as an outsider is this: any slightly new and innovative twist becomes its own genre. And by "slight," I mean to the point of taking an established style and doing nothing but laying a synth pad over top of it, and calling that a new genre. The features that distinguish them are so minor and arbitrary as to be inconsequential to anyone who isn't immersed in that world. At least, that's my reaction to how they've been explained to me by those "in the know." Something that to most of us would just seem like a slightly different arrangement becomes a genre unto itself.

Then again, lots of people think Bill Evans and Horace Silver sound just alike, so what do I know...

Indeed. Heck, American music can be that specific. Look at blues. To a huge percentage of the population, blues is a pretty generic term, like techno or house. Once you start to dive into it, it's a widely varied music - delta, Chicago, Piedmont, KC, Texas, West Coast, etc..., and once you really get in a bit too far, you can damn near hear differences from one town or block to the next. Soul music's the same way - Chicago, Philly, Motown, Memphis, Miami, Muscle Shoals, etc.... Hell, there are more kinds of Memphis soul than you can shake a stick at....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The most popular dubstep track so far, with countless downloads and over 50 million Youtube hits:

[video:youtube]

I actually kind of like this one. The "drop" (dubstep term) is around 40 seconds in, so you've got to listen that far to get it.

I have a DJ gig on weekends and those dubstep drops through multiple 21" subs literally make your heart stop.

The sound itself is working it's way into everything from current pop to television commercials to NFL Football breaks. Hot right now - probably history in a few years.

If it goes "wub wub wub wub", it's dubstep.

If it goes "wub wub wub wub" it's a big ass helicopter.

But seriously folks...

What it sounds like to me is a paycheck for an electronic musician. And it's cool to be able to say that in any economy.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

A few years back a close friend of mine ran an electronic music festival and I started going to the dub step nights just to open my ears to it. I found some music I liked. The music I heard there had a wide stylistic range from really melodic and textural to the downright hellishly machine-like. One of the things to keep in mind is the performance aspect of it. It''s very DJ-driven with the DJ bringing elements in and out and responding to the room, etc. It's like any form of music; not all of it appeals but some of it is stellar. I'll try to dig up some CDs I got then and pass on some names. Bass Nectar comes to mind.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Yeah seriously. The subsubsubgenres. And the fans who get irritated if you don't get their favourite ones quite right, and then in the same breath will go and group Bach and Chopin together under "classical".

Archived