Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Dubstep here to stay?

stepay

Skrillex -- who is on the cover of this month's Electronic Musician magazine -- won three Grammies this weekend. So apparently, as much as most of us here are old and irrelevant enough to not get it, someone is.

Right. On the heels of winning three Grammies, Skrillex made about $15M this year according to Forbes.

I think it is time to program the Motif sequencer with phat beatz, find a costume and press play. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as a musician, his musical vocabulary is ridiculously small. i-VI-VII gets really old really quick.

But musically, he can't write a melody at this point judging from the 3 I heard.

In conclusion, I wish Mister Skrillex all the best. Keep playing/triggering those 3 chords for the kids, but please stay off my lawn. :thu:

I doubt the guy is overly concerned with his musical literacy considering his "formula" has generated him about $2.5M and counting. ;):cool:

Prof, I surely hope you don't judge music that way.

"Musicians" have always derided "Popular" music for one reason or another. But, it hasn't stopped folks from making music by any means necessary.

If that comment is directed at me: my iPod and music collection is about 95% pop, 5% classical. ;)

What if rock was juged the same way? (I - IV - V) Is blues bad because of the 12 bar foundation? I know a lot of good musicians who still play rock and blues.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

To me, "music", in the simplest way I can think to put it, is "what moves you."

Usually that movement is an emotional response that often leads one to a physical gesture, such as head bobbing, toe tapping and dancing.

What is it within the music that moves you? It could be a lyric, a melody, a transition from one passage to another, a tonal quality, a beat or rhythm, even a memory, and I'm sure that list goes on.

Most likely, what moves one person may not move the next. We're all different. If it moves you you're gonna like it. Simple as that.

I listened to Skrillex and have heard dubstep before and I could imagine that in the right circumstance his and others creations in that genre could move me. Will I contribute to his pocketbook? Nope. It doesn't move me that much, but I do respect his ability within his craft. He's made a lot more ka-ching than I have, and I respect that too.

Personally, what moves me most musically is forming a group of musicians all playing instruments and/or singing wherein we've orchestrated the whole to sound like a single entity, and have done it so well that others are moved by it. It's about the sophistication of orchestration and the creation of a "feel" or groove. Can that be done badly? Yes. But when a group gets together and creates something that sounds like it was meant to be ... sheer bliss. Many of you will know what I mean ... when that magic happens and those around you are moved by it.

I think Skrillex has achieved that for those whom are moved by his artistry.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Dubstep serves its purpose - make butts move on the dance floor. I'm sorry, but despite the finer points of some other styles of music with more complex composition and melody, they don't necessarily share the same purpose. Try dancing to a song in 7/8....I've watched people try to at a NIN concert and it was pretty amusing.

The point is, there is a place for mindless repetitive beat generation with cool sounds....and it's the dance floor at a rave or certain type of club...that's what the music is designed for. In fact, usually styles like dubstep come from things the DJ's do at the clubs, not the other way around.

It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just a few cents worth of info.

Skrillex 'played' at the ottawa bluesfest (http://ottawabluesfest.ca/) this year in July. I can't seem to find online proof of this, but I heard on the radio that it was the best attended show at bluesfest this year. Also Bluesfest was very very well attended this year.

Here are a small smattering of the other acts that were there (with presumably a smaller turnout than Skrillex):

- LMFAO

- Alice Cooper

- Iron Maiden

- Norah Jones

- Down with Webster

- Seal

- Nickelback

- Snoop Dogg

- Lauryn Hill

- John Mellencamp

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

The dance examples posted here... I seem to recall some obscure (now deceased) artist with the initials M.J. doing this obscure thing called "Moonwalk" back in 1983....

"Well at least this music is....."

That opening sentence is poison to me. Hardly a reason to justify anything.

Back in the old prehistoric times that I came from, I used to listen to individual albums by individual groups that had more variety in them than entire "genres" do now.

Everybody seems to be trying to create the new musical Zeitgeist by changing a piece of code in a MIDI file or by tweaking a tiny subset of a section of already existing and direly beaten-to-death styles of music. As though it's all about finding the secret piece of gold, the magic key, the holy grail easily grabbed if only one could find it.

C'mon people, it's going to take just a little more work and imagination than that.

The well known writer and social critic Fran Leibowitz recently commented that, musically and stylistically, we are all still stuck in the 70s. Or some permutation thereof. She said it is the job of artists to forge change.... not the job of the 'perceiving' public to learn new ways to digest the same stuff and find creative ways to justify it.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Is this Pop Song influenced by "dub step" ?

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_L-lrOBZf8

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Is this pop song dub step influenced in it's chorus?

[video:youtube]

Not really, Jazz. That's a classic techno hoover, not a dub wobble, and it moves to a straight 4 on the floor instead of a half-time, syncopated beat. It's pretty much the opposite of dub.

Of course, this is the silliness of electronic music these days. Too narrowly-defined genres.

Wiki says this about Rihanna track -

"It is backed by "hard, chilly synths" and contains a dubstep-inspired breakdown sequence."

wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Have_You_Been

"Smoke Test" by Blackleg, demonstrating an example of rhythmic tension generated between the drum rhythm and bassline. This song features a very sparse rhythm almost entirely composed of kick drum, snare drum, and a sparse hi-hat, with a distinctly half time implied 71bpm tempo. The track is instead propelled by a sub-bass following a four-to-the-floor 142bpm pattern.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSeHbtZzXGw

Skrillex Dropped his Groceries

LOS ANGELES This Monday at Trader Joes, dubstep artist Sonny Moore, better known by his stage name Skrillex, dropped his groceries to the applause of fellow shoppers. It was sick, said witness Mickey DiFranco, Skrillex fan and amateur deejay, as he purchased bottles of water and pacifiers. The drop was really nasty. There was just so much wobble. The bass and beets were the dirtiest. Skrillex could not be reached for comment as his phone was dropping calls.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

extended version

Archived