Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Give an example of your favorite Rhodes tone

scottasin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the compressed dirty clacky rhodes sound that Jan Hammer gets on this cut. It's very different.

...that's "Magical Dog" from Hammer's 1976, "Oh, Yeah" album.

Yes, it's the F/R to the max, played by a man with more chops in his left pinkie than most of us have in our 10 digits.

Another Hammer F/R moment I'd have used would have been "Red and Orange" from the same album.

Rhodes playing simply doesn't get any more intense than these examples.

Clonk

Joe Sample's Rhodes on Minnie Riperton's "Inside My Love". Also, the Rhodes he used on The Crusaders Midnight Triangle concert back in the 80s. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What? Four pages of responses and not a single Steely Dan / Donald Fagen / MXR 90 Phaser nod? (Pick your favorite track)

No Doobie Brothers / "Minute By Minute"?

No Billy everlovin' Joel / "Just The Way You Are"??!

Did the forum suddenly get 20 years younger overnight? :D

Anyway...

If you have an affinity for truly tortured Rhodes tones and even think they're cool, you MUST listen to "King Cobra"; recorded by Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd, 1977; Andy LaVerne on Rhodes. Catch his solo as 3:40.

I think Andy is using a Ring Mod pedal of some kind -- weird, bizarre, and down-right creative -- exactly what the mood of this tune called for. You can almost imagine a coiled, hissing, spitting Fender Rhodes lashing out at some cocky mongoose.

I actually tried to copy this sound when my own high school band played this chart in '78 -- couldn't do it...

King Cobra - Andy LaVerne, Rhodes

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

The Bob Mayo solo on Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do" was the first exposure I got to how expressive the Rhodes could be, as well as how it could blend into a rock sound.

To me, though, the real impact of the Rhodes came from a few Al Jarreau albums in the early 80's. The electric piano work by Tom Canning on This Time and Breakin' Away were, to me, just utterly amazing. Sweet when it was appropriate, a bit grungy (relatively speaking) when they needed to dig in, yet never muddy or in the way. It was the beginning of the DynoMyPiano sound before it got silly and over-used. I spent countless hours on my own Rhodes (a 1976 Mark I Stage) trying to get that sound. Came close, but never really got it.

My affection with the Rhodes came to an end with the emergence of the DX7, and not because I liked the instrument. The DX7 made such a comical caricature of the Rhodes sound that it became embarrassing to show up at a gig with the piano. Fortunately, ROMpler pianos were just starting to sound acceptable around that time, so I played less electric piano "sound" and more AP emulations.

It's only the past few years that my love of the traditional Rhodes sound has been revitalized. The MkI Stage sample in my Electro 3 comes darn close to my old Rhodes.

My favorite Rhodes tone is a Wurly. LOL

Sorry, just kidding .... sort of.

Got to go with classic Chick. This will do for a start.

[video:youtube]

That also has the baddest mofo synth solo ever. Chick was the original Rhodes inspiration for me. Any of the RTF stuff has classic Rhodes sounds on it.

One of my faves:

More Chick:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkeY_8r8zk&feature=related

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Any Major Dude - Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic Album

My "reference"

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

My affection with the Rhodes came to an end with the emergence of the DX7, and not because I liked the instrument. The DX7 made such a comical caricature of the Rhodes sound that it became embarrassing to show up at a gig with the piano.

My personal Rhodes "puke" moment was "Babe" by Styx. I still can't listen to that tune.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My "reference"

Isn't that a Wurli?

+1

So many to choose from. Trying to avoid the obvious. I have a soft spot for Jacky Terrason's track "Que Reste-T-T'il De Nos Amours?" from the À Paris album, just because it's a dead ringer for the road-abused Mk2 Stage that was my first Rhodes, right down to the more-than-occasional choked notes.

[video:youtube]HnUjrCZvAnU

So many to choose from. Trying to avoid the obvious. I have a soft spot for Jacky Terrason's track "Que Reste-T-T'il De Nos Amours?" from the À Paris album, just because it's a dead ringer for the road-abused Mk2 Stage that was my first Rhodes, right down to the more-than-occasional choked notes.

Wild. I was going to post this tonight. Love this sound.

Joe Sample on the Joe Sample sound on Rhodes:

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Herbie Hancock's amazing solo on "Little Train"

My "reference"

Isn't that a Wurli?

+1

This is one of the best beat up rhodess i've ever heard.

I like this one too. The sound is horrible, but what strikes me is the fact that the keyboardist has modifies the tonality in some of his notes, so he's got a real middle eastern scale here

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I love all the standards - Corea, Hammer, Fagan, Hancock - but have a soft spot for all those Phil Ramone-produced trax from the 70s with Richard Tee - Paul Simon, Phoebe Snow, etc.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sBRFxqSe8Y

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

My "reference"

Isn't that a Wurli?

Well screw it then. I like Wurli's more then Rhodes. Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Archived