Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: safe to eat?

Alchemist

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or not. Gonna have myself a nice bowl right now.

Having a bowl first will make it taste better ;)

I'd have eaten it yesterday after heating it up to boiling. I do that kind of stuff all the time and never get sick. Dunno about letting it sit out another day.

If nothing happens, you're ready to try some Indian food, you can take it, i think.

"Spicy" and "ptomained" are not the same thing, LOL! Love Indian cuisine fo sho.

I know, Michelle :laugh: i meant that if his stomach can take that contaminated turkey, it can take anything, hence the mentioned of indian food, you gotta be a dragon to eat that thing! breath fire and all :eek: (But i admit, i like it ;) )

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Our Alchemist seems to have missed a few lectures in science class ("I think there's a fine like [sic] between spicy and contaminated").

I'm beginning to think he's been playing a huge joke on all of us.

If not, my previous comments about natural selection apply even more.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I don't mean to derail this thread, but since it's already pretty much off the tracks...

Actually, regarding natural selection, you can easily make a case that the modern obsession with avoiding germs, bacteria, and other nasties at all costs is making us all weaker. Your body needs to be exposed to contaminants in order to develop the immunity to deal with them, just as giraffes' necks grew out of the evolutionary necessity to eat things high up to survive. The opposite is also true. If your body thinks it doesn't need something, evolution will take it away (see the human appendix).

It's getting to a ridiculous point, where a majority of people won't even think about drinking water out of a tap and are constantly reaching for the Purell after touching anything the slightest bit dirty. The only problem is, things that harm us are not gonna go away, but our bodies' ability to combat them will. A few generations from now, we're all going to be living in sanitary plastic bubbles, because even the most relatively benign bacteria will be able to run amok, unscathed by our collectively depleted immune systems.

So, I say, for the good of future mankind, man up and eat that day-old pasta. :D

O.K.

Just a little pinprick.

There'll be no more aaaaaaaaah!

But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?

I do believe it's working, good.

That'll keep you going through the show

Come on it's time to go.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but since it's already pretty much off the tracks...

Actually, regarding natural selection, you can easily make a case that the modern obsession with avoiding germs, bacteria, and other nasties at all costs is making us all weaker. Your body needs to be exposed to contaminants in order to develop the immunity to deal with them, just as giraffes' necks grew out of the evolutionary necessity to eat things high up to survive. The opposite is also true. If your body thinks it doesn't need something, evolution will take it away (see the human appendix).

It's getting to a ridiculous point, where a majority of people won't even think about drinking water out of a tap and are constantly reaching for the Purell after touching anything the slightest bit dirty. The only problem is, things that harm us are not gonna go away, but our bodies' ability to combat them will. A few generations from now, we're all going to be living in sanitary plastic bubbles, because even the most relatively benign bacteria will be able to run amok, unscathed by our collectively depleted immune systems.

So, I say, for the good of future mankind, man up and eat that day-old pasta. :D

I agree that a lot of folks are a little germophobic. But, rather than whither away, we have an immune system with nothing to do that makes all sorts of mischief (e.g. hay fever and asthma).

"One theory for the cause of the increase in asthma prevalence worldwide is the 'hygiene hypothesis' that the rise in the prevalence of allergies and asthma is a direct and unintended result of reduced exposure to a wide variety of different bacteria and virus types in modern societies, or modern hygienic practices preventing childhood infections. Children living in less hygienic environments (East Germany vs. West Germany, families with many children, day care environments) tend to have lower incidences of asthma and allergic diseases."

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

+1!

Not going to speak for anyone else and I am definitely not any expert on medical or biological fields. But this has worked for me since I was a kid! The few times I've got food poisoning, have been from outside establishments/restaurants. Never from eating 3 week old food, at home.

I mean, how could we live without raw cookie dough!!! :)

Not going to speak for anyone else and I am definitely not any expert on medical or biological fields. But this has worked for me since I was a kid! The few times I've got food poisoning, have been from outside establishments/restaurants. Never from eating 3 week old food, at home.

It's been years, but I got horribly sick when eating old food from my fridge. Back in the 80's I had this great two-bedroom apartment on the second floor (with a deck) over a double garage. One of the garages came with the apartment along with a parking spot under the deck, which I sublet to the neighbors next door. Rent was $160/month. Well anyway...

I had some liverwurst in the fridge that I'd forgotten about and ate it after the expiration date. Both diarrhea and vomiting for hours were the result of that foolish decision. Only experienced that type of "fun" one other time.

:sick:

Ew. Liverwurst is nasty when fresh...
I love it, but it's ridiculously bad for you

I grew up with it, so yeah... I love it as well, but hardly touch the stuff anymore.

:cool:

... Indian food, you gotta be a dragon to eat that thing! breath fire and all :eek:...
I feel I have a duty to step in on this point :cop: !

My Dad served in the RAF in India/Burma/Siam in WW2, & brought back the taste for curry with him,

so I've been eating the stuff since 6 or 7 yrs old.

That part of the world accounts for about 1/3rd of the world's population - & not all of them are fire-eaters!

YES, there are incredibly hot curries - knew a fella who, full of ale & bravado,

went for a curry with friends, & asked for the chef to make the hottest curry possible.

The waiter said, "if you can eat it all, it's free of charge".

He did.

He was in hospital a few hours later... :sick:

On the other hand, there are numerous herbs & spices used which are not 'hot' at all - fragrant, & full of flavour.

If you find a quality chef/restaurant, the flavours are massively varied,

and very subtle & delicate, if that's what you like.

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan of Indian cuisine,

& suppose I'm lucky 'cos there are so many restaurants/takeaways to coose from where I live.

(for example, the 'Curry Mile' in Manchester has around 80 or-so eateries in that mile-long stretch).

So, my advice would be to try it without prejudice if you get chance - it's delicious :snax: !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

+1, there are many styles of curries. Some Indian dishes use cream and curry to lessen the heat and keep the flavor.

IMO, the difference between "hot" food and Indian/Thai "hot" is that some dishes have so much burning pepper that you get no flavor, just blisters, and other dishes are very flavorful but not blistering.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

+1, there are many styles of curries. Some Indian dishes use cream and curry to lessen the heat and keep the flavor.
Very true.

Also thing such as yoghurt, coconut cream/milk, nuts (esp almonds/pistachios etc) for delicate flavours.

I'm getting hungry now !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived