Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mis Heard Lyrics

StanC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I don't know where I'm going

I'm on my way, I'm taking my time

But I don't know where

To buy two roses to see the coroner"

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 5 years later...

A little OT but funny. we were learning the tune Heaven by Los Lobos some years ago (B4 YouTube). But none of us could understand or speak Spanish so we could not get the correct wording for the bridge part at around 2:17 of this video

So the singer substituted the following:

Who keeps passing out the jell-o? Ketchup makes a nasty stool! :D:D

Any Spanish speaking folks here? I can see the words in the video, but what is the translation?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

old guy I worked with at a day job used to sing at his desk.

one day I hear him singing:

"bald-headed woman... bald-headed woman to me..."

The guy sitting next him says: "hey Mel, it's More than a woman! not bald-headed woman!.

Mel argued vehemently that the song was bald-headed woman.

I give Mel credit for holding his ground.

When corrected he went so far to say that his glaucoma was affecting his hearing...

one day I hear him singing:

"bald-headed woman... bald-headed woman to me..."

The guy sitting next him says: "hey Mel, it's More than a woman! not bald-headed woman!.

reminds me of a guy I used to know who would wander around singing "You're the only woman." (Boogie On Reggae Woman)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

There are *two* great, different, sometimes-misheard "bald-headed woman" lyrics! The Bee Gees previously referenced, and also the Clapton song "Forever Man" has been misheard/sung as "try to be my bald-headed woman..."

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Opening lyric to "La Isla Bonita". Some people think it's:

"Last night I dreamt of some bagels".

This came up recently in a random dinner table discussion,

I said I always thought it was:

"Last night I dreamt of some Pedro".

You know just some generic Pedro.

And my wife thought it was:

"Last night I dreamt of Saint Pedro"

You know, Saint Peter....

Finally, my son thought it was:

"Last night I dreamt of sombreros".

:laugh:

Now excuse me while I kiss this guy...

There are *two* great, different, sometimes-misheard "bald-headed woman" lyrics! The Bee Gees previously referenced, and also the Clapton song "Forever Man" has been misheard/sung as "try to be my bald-headed woman..."

Ahh -- in RI/Mass, that's try to be my Fall River woman, I'll try to be your Fall River man. :laugh:

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

A real oldie: for decades, this is what I heard...

The Ronette's "Be my Baby"

"The night we met I knew I...really needed to sew."

instead of "needed you so."

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

It's much worse here in Brazil. As the average fluency of the population who listens to english-lyrics music is pretty low, you get all sorts of bizarre understandings of the lyrics. I studied english since I was 8, and in my teens still had some trouble with lyrics that went away only when I lived in the U.S. My wife speaks reasonable 'business' english but has tons of trouble with lyrics.

Funnier still is that some expressions or just the intonation given sound like a word a phrase in portuguese, and people just blurt that out during the song.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

While I never misheard this myself, I read about it on some other thread and now can't I hear it.

It's also from 'Bad Moon Rising' IN ADDITION to the bathroom on the right.

One eye is taken for an eye

Whoa now, you stinking foreigner.

It sounds contrived and implausible, but have a listen for yourself. You'll never hear it the same again.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Cool medley of popular misheard lyrics

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I seemed to have a problem with some Prince (R.I.P.) lyrics:

Live and Collect ("Little Red Corvette")

Two thousand zero zero party ovaries

Out of time ("1999")

I also thought the chorus of WAR's "Spill The Wine" went:

Spill the wine

Kick-ass girl!

I also took a misheard lyric from Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" to heart:

I thought the line was, "...And don't be afraid to know computers"

So I became a big follower of technology and even worked in the IT field for a couple years...until years later when I found out the line was really, "And don't be a slave to no computer"

. . . So now I come to you with broken arms. . . .

(Journey)

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

The bridge in They Might Be Giant's "Ana Ng" is about graffiti on a bridge. It says, "I don't want the world, I just want your half."

At first I misheard is as, "I don't want the world, I just want to wear a hat." Then I realized that was wrong, but I thought it said, "I don't want the world, I just want your hat." I like both of my misheard versions better.

Side 1 of 2112 is so incredible...

"Heaven-ness to find devotion"

??? Not sure I ever thought to stop and say, that makes no sense...

From Don't stop believin...sadly I was a big Journey fan and played that song in multiple bands and never knew what that line was...

Until I read the lyrics 10 years ago for 'What A Wonderful World', instead of '...and the dark, sacred night' I always heard '...and the dogs say goodnight'. I STILL hear that! :)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived