Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Recent Jazz Standards List

Jazz+

I invite you all to make song suggestions of songs to add to this Recent Jazz Standards List (post 1960's) I have started compiling. I think I will eventually post it on Wikipedia.

The Recent Jazz Standards List

1970 "Red Clay" - Freddie Hubbard

1970 - "Sugar" - Stanley Turrentine

1970 - "Mr. Clean" - Freddie Hubbard

1971 - "La Fiesta" - Chick Corea

1971 "Spain" - Chick Corea

1971 - "Crystal Silence" - Chick Corea

1972 - "Little Sunflower" - Freddy Hubard

1972 - "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" - Stevie Wonder

1972 "Waters of March" Jobim

1972 - "Lucky Southern" - Keith Jarrett

1972 - "This Masquerade" Leon Russel

1973 "Chameleon" - Herbie Hancock

1973 - "500 Miles High" - Chick Corea

1973 - "Feel Like Making Love" - Eugene McDaniels

1973 "Mr. Magic" Grover Washington Jr.

1974 - "Butterfly" - Herbie Hancock

1974 - "Feels So Good" - Chuck Mangione

1975 - "Bolivia" - Cedar Walton

1976 - "Armando's Rhumba" - Chick Corea

1975 - "Affirmation" - Jose Feliciano

1975 - "Modadji" - Dave Gruisin

1976 - "Another Star" - Stevie Wonder

1976 - "Shaker Song" - Spyro Gyra

1977 - "Começar de Novo (The Island)" - Ivan Lins

1977 - "Katherine" - Jeff Lorber

1977 - "Katrina Ballerina" -Woody Shaw

1977 "Birdland" - Weather Report

1978 - "Phase Dance" - Pat Metheny

1979 - "Morning Dance" - Spyro Gyra

1980 - "Three Views Of A Secret" - Jaco Pastorius

1980 - "Make Me A Memory" - Grover Washington Jr.

1980 - "Just The Two Of Us" - Grover Washington Jr.

1982 - "Mimosa" - Jimmy Smith

1983 - "La Samba" - Andy Narell

1985 - "Pools" - Don Grolnick

1986 - "Chan's Song" - Herbie Hancock

1986 - "Got A Match" - Chick Corea

1987 - "Nothing Personal" - Don Grolnick

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good list so far, I've played a lot of that stuff.

I think some of Marcus Miller's stuff like Tutu and Maputo would probably qualify.

I'd venture you could call What's Going On by Marvin Gaye on a jazz gig and almost or everyone would know it.

Valdez in the Country by Donny Hathaway

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Kanker mentioned 'What's Going On'. Some of the tunes I'd expect to be on that list are inevitably going to be in the 'crossover' vein. You see some tunes like that in the Real Books, both Sher and HL. Billy Joel's 'Just The Way You Are' is an example of a tune like that. It can sure be called on a jazz gig.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The Hubbard blues/bop style period on the list reminded me of Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar". It qualifies as a jazz standard, but it's 1970 - a year too old for the list? What's "recent"?

A lot of Hubbard tunes from that period might qualify like "Skydive", but not sure if they were played enough to be called standards. Same for Grusin, Bob James, etc., etc. Another pre-1971 tune but rerecorded often was "Stolen Moments." Chick's "The One Step" was sort of a minor standard.

And one I don't want to mention - "Moondance."

Huh, yeah, I've actually played most the tunes on this list.

Maybe too RTF heavy to add another, but I've played "Captain Senor Mouse" in multiple bands without it being my idea, so perhaps there's something standard about that tune that all these bands seem to have wanted to have it in their repertoire.

SK, you mention Bob James ... I'm thinking "Angela" (Theme from Taxi) would be the obvious tune of his for this list.

From a more crossover standpoint, "Europa" by Santana ... Stevie Wonder compositions seem to get jazzed and Latinized routinely, and a lot of his stuff is from the early 70s and later ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

A few off the top of my head that, in my experience, have been called numerous times here and there:

"Butterfly" by Herbie Hancock

"La Fiesta" by Chick Corea

"Root Down" by Jimmy Smith

"Windjammer" by Grant Green

"Stratus" and "Red Baron" by Billy Cobham

"Byrdlike" by Freddie Hubbard

"Chank" by John Scofield

"Beatrice" by Sam Rivers

I've played Corea's "Sea Journey/Song for Sally" many times as a solo piano piece, but I can't say I've ever played it in a group or even heard anyone else play it at a gig. Just my experience though.

More Metheny:

Bright Size Life (already in Real Book)

Song For Bilbao

Always and Forever

The Bat

It's Just Talk

So May It Secretly Begin

Last Train Home

More Ivan Lins:

Noturna

Madelena

Velas

Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite

Djavan:

Sina (Soul Food To Go)

Agua

Oceano

Tunes (1970's and later) that I've played few times at jam sessions and clubs.

"Put It Where You Want it" - Crusaders

"Affirmation" - George Benson

"Breezin' - George Benson

"Rio Funk" - Lee Ritenour

"Lucky Southern" - Keith Jarrett

"My Song" - Keith Jarrett

"Country" - Keith Jarrett

"Crystal Love" - Makoto Ozone

"Sudden Samba" - Neil Larsen

"La Samba" - Andy Narell

"Morning" - Clare Fischer (1965)

"Listen Here" - Eddie Harris (1967)

I mentioned "Pure Imagination" in the other thread. It dates to 1971.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

These get called on a pretty regular basis, that I consider them standards.

More Today Than Yesterday - Charles Earland (pop tune originally by Spiral Staircase)

Too Damn Hot - Dr. Lonnie Smith

Tune 88 & Toad's Place - Jeff Lorber

After Hours - Ronny Jordan

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Maybe too RTF heavy to add another, but I've played "Captain Senor Mouse" in multiple bands without it being my idea,

Damn you play that L.H. part through the whole thing?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Good list developing here. I've played many tunes at jams that are mentioned here.

I figured that if the tune is on my iPhone/Ipad iRealB app, then it must be a standard so I just assumed that and practically everything mentioned is in the app.

Too bad the list can't be sorted by date so it's hard to see what's past 1970.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

The Chicken by Jaco Pastorius

That's actually a Pee Wee Ellis tune that first came out on a James Brown record around '69

duh, and I had checked on Wikipedia (in French because it came up first in Google) to make sure he had written it, which is what the French version suggests, but the English version does clarify that it is indeed an interpretation. :thu:

well since the OP mentioned post 1960 I guess it still qualifies! I sure wished that tune had been in the Real book when I started playing on gigs and guys would call it all the time, and I couldn't find a lead sheet or a record of it! (this was before the internet...)

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

One tune that i did not notice mentioned was from that rediculous movIe with Liz & Dick ( Richard burton & liz taylor) the movie was called the 'The Sandpiper'. It also had Charles Bronson playing an Avant Garde bohemian sculptor (can you believe THAT?) The song was 'The Shadow of Your Smile.' A quirky Bass Player that I used to play with called it " The Shadow of Your PILES.' His was name was Charly Price. He also took that Jack Jones hit " Wives & Lovers' & changed the lyrics to : Hey, Little Girl, Take your clothes off, have a ROOT BEER...."

i DON'T KNOW IF bACHARACH qualifies for this forum topic....'The Look of Love' or 'This Guy's In Love With You'...maybe because in that turgid 1973 remake of 'LOST HORIZON', they decided to make a Musical out of it, & used his songs....has to be seen to be believed. They might as well have made a muscical out of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. or at least, 'THE HILLS HAVE EYES.'

robert w nuckels

One tune that i did not notice mentioned was from that rediculous movIe with Liz & Dick ( Richard burton & liz taylor) the movie was called the 'The Sandpiper'.
Saw it on TV years ago, what a weird movie that was. I enjoyed Joey Baron's 'version' of Shadow Of Your Smile.
They might as well have made a muscical out of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.
What an idea. Can't top it, but this comes close: (Sorry for the OT, Jazz+!)

[video:youtube]

Apologies if needed, now back to standards...

Maybe too RTF heavy to add another, but I've played "Captain Senor Mouse" in multiple bands without it being my idea,

Damn you play that L.H. part through the whole thing?

Geez, it's been at least 8 yrs since I've done this song so at this point I don't really remember. Of course I did it during the head first time thru (if it's the part you're thinking of). Always with a guitarist or horn player which relieves my duties melodically. That middle section takes some work to get tight though. Kinda reminds me of what someone (Jazzwee?) said in another thread about modern "standards" often being less jam-oriented and more work-out-some-parts oriented, ie, you don't just throw down chords of a standard you've never played like is possible with many of the traditional 32-bar standards and whatnot.

This list has me thinking about what qualifies as a standard. I notice both "Madalena" and "Morning" suggested, both of which I thought about suggesting, but then wasn't sure if "Madalena" really was that widely played or recognized of a song. And "Morning" has more of a modern connotation to me, but it is not with the post-60s timeframe.

A teacher I had while growing up played jazz piano most nights of the week. He would play Beatles tunes, "Captain of Your Heart" (don't know if I have that title right) and Bruce Hornsby "That's Just the Way It Is" on his jazz gigs. Which brings up an interesting point ... not all these should be regarded as jazz standards, just because they are pop tunes that have been arranged and/or jammed on in jazz context. If that was our criteria then D-Bon is right (so much for a snide comment D, LOL), that Nirvana and Radiohead have unwittingly joined the ranks of great jazz composers. :sick: Hmm, slippery slope there.

Plenty of people have covered Beatles stuff in all manner of instrumental treatment, so does that mean Beatles tunes could be standards? I think they are one of few composers from another genre that I, myself would venture to put on this list (including Stevie Wonder). Overall though I think the suggestions are bang on, except I don't really agree with Dana. :cop::D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

well since the OP mentioned post 1960 I guess it still qualifies!

Since he wrote "post 1960's" and also listed nothing before 1971 I did not read it that way. I read that he is seeking songs written (or recorded/published) AFTER 1969 ... or 1970, depending on how anal you want to be about where the decade ends.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

1971 to 1987 is recent????!!!!!

The ones that everyone has mentioned are mostly on our set list and/or our reserves lists, and go over well.

I can't think off-hand what the most recent song is that we do in a jazz style. Some of our one-off gigs include non-jazz material (such as our wedding gig this SAT), but it's probably something later than 1987. We do Sting's "Fragile" but that's probably before 1987.

I'm personally curious what people have found from 1996 onwards that they feel works well in a jazz way. Are there really any new standards? maybe some show tunes from Elton John and the like, but I'm not sure those would switch to jazz very well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived