Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there such a thing as a "wrong note" in jazz any longer?

I-missRichardTee

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is heartening. My teacher used to speak of resolving a wrong note,

sometimes as an appogiatura.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

"If it sounds good, it is good" - Duke Ellington

Do you think Duke's observation is true in reverse.. If it sounds bad ( wrong ), it's bad?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

When it comes to playing the head there are plenty of wrong notes.

So respecting the printed or handwritten or agreed upon head chart, is a no brainer- deviate from it, and that is a wrong note?

What about other times, say during a solo?

imho, absolutely yes. context is everything.

Good! Might you provide some "context", for your response?

I forget who it was but didn't someone say if you hit a wrong note just keep hitting it until it sounds right?

IIRC I heard or read Joey DeFrancesco say it but he was quoting someone else.

I am trying to ID you.. is your name James? If so, nice to hear from you. You would be from Chicago, if you are who I am hoping you are.

I think playing music should be approached like life should be approached. We all make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's the past. Move on. The moment is fleeting. What are you going to do/play now?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think playing music should be approached like life should be approached. We all make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's the past. Move on. The moment is fleeting. What are you going to do/play now?

Yes!

A better question would be "Is there such a thing as a bad thread any longer?" (to which I reply an emphatic yes).

ok

Re: wrong notes.

Saturday I went to the jazz ensemble I'm in, mostly playing guitar, headed by professional jazz guys, and one of the tunes was "Mack the Knife" - and my flute teacher said, "Eric, on this tune, I think it's important to emphasize the 6th on the opening Bb6 chord." Since I was mostly playing Bb maj7 lines. He didn't say they sounded bad, just that, in this style, it wasn't the BEST choice. He mentioned that I sounded sort of like Pat Metheny, which I thought was funny - I admire Pat of course, but I've listened a lot more to the OTHER Pat, Mr. Martino.......

Actually, I don't have all that great a feel for earlier styles of jazz, though I like to hear it of course. My first Miles Davis album was "In A Silent Way", to give you some idea........

later on I learned to enjoy his earlier material.

But I heard a Lester Young tune with both Roy Eldridge and Sweets Edison (two great swing era trumpeters with radically different styles) - not Lester's best, but I loved how both Roy and Sweets played - their tones, their phrasing...

MRT. This thread is you lobbying for your position, just to point out something from my closing statement of another thread.

Context is everything with respect to this question.

If you're playing "Waltz for Debby", there are going to be far fewer opportunities to play "non melodic, atonal phrases" within the harmonic context of the composition, than there would be in say, "Impressions."

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!

Why are you asking?

Were you listening to "Focus on Sanity" on Ornette's "The Shape of Jazz to Come" or something? I thought it was perfect and every note was appropriately placed!

:poke:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I was not seeking psychological advice nor philosophical advice.

Just a music question. Is this question somehow alien to you?

:facepalm:
By "wrong note", I was saying while playing a "live" performance, do you ever react to a note you played in a way that boils down to- I wish I hadn't played that note?

By the question I posed, I imagine it is obvious that I think the answer for me, is "yes".

So when you play, you occasionally never wish you hadn't played a certain note; even just a little?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived