Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical tastes?

JpScoey

Musical preferences (genres)  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Musical preferences (genres)

There has recently been a noticable trend towards folks on the forum 'blowing the trumpet'

for Jazz in various posts... (best keyboardists / how to solo etc)

So I thought I'd take a straw poll of peoples various interests in music they prefer to play / listen to.

This is aimed at the 'popular' music most people play or listen to - not 'niches' or off-shoots of broader genres.

Trying to narrow all the different styles into as few as 14 is next-to-impossible,

but you get what I mean, yeh ?

Also - I tried to post this with 'multiple-options', but it was having non of it...

Any comments welcome (& no-doubt interesting !)

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One? Almost all of the above.

I tried the 'multiple choice' option on the poll Tony - but it wouldn't accept it.

On advice from Jim Quinn I tried it the above way, & it worked :idk !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Your OP makes it sound to me like you think there is too much jazz lately. Or was it just an observation of the current trend?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Your OP makes it sound to me like you think there is too much jazz lately.

Or was it just an observation of the current trend?

Yeh, it does seem to be a current trend - & I've never been a fan, or player, of Jazz.

So it's all a bit double-Dutch to me.

John.

some stuff on myspace

It sure won't be possible to conclude much on which cut through the categories of people responding are distinguishing between the relative merits (or costs) of mixing up rnb with Blues versus disco and funk versus rock and rock and roll and Jazz Fusion in the interpretation of jazz rock...

So sad to see Jazz broken down into traditional vs. modern (forcing you to choose one over another, when they're both jazz).
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Hey, where's the other half of "we have both: country AND western"? :D

AKA

So sad to see Western referred to as "other"

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

No suprise where my vote comes on this list, or that it's the only vote so far in that category. :rimshot:

It goes in phases ... sometimes there are bunch of posts about being in cover bands and how do you play that part or get that sound from that recording, etc.

Too bad the current trend is alienating you John! LOL. Well, hey, we all have our turn. So is the poll telling you anything? Other than the laments about the breakdowns of jazz categories in particular (and Latin, for me, as separate from jazz, because really I listen to way more jazz than salsa, but if I say I listen to Latin it's like saying I'll listen to Shakira before I listen to Bill Evans, which absolutely would never be the case) ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I voted reggae partly because it looked lonely and partly because I play ska (amongst other genres) on the trombone.

Honestly. I love at least half of the genres listed depending on my mood - including jazz.

Instruments: Kawai MP7, Viscount DB3 Drawbar organ, Roland pedals, Ventilator, Akai EWI, lots of trombones, bass trumpet, tuba, saxophones.

I don't think Eno, Schulze, Jarre, etc. is anything to dance to.

You never visited my basement, 1979, high school... black lights, Peter Max posters, and Jarre's "Equinoxe" on the turntable. My foggy recollection is that our girlfriends danced to this ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Lots of electronic music around since the mini and pro and the Linn-1/2 before the term was used for some of the contemporary interpretations after Funky Town and Lots of Electronics from the Commodores to hobby DJs in the famous Chicago environment experimenting with funny rhythms.

Seriously, even Disco (which I like I suppose most like for a fair part) at the time it wasn't Diana, Donna an possibly the Bee Gees any more and apart from being good the women, was considered lower than pop and bordering on boring in more than one way..

I like and listen to everything on that list. I'm not a big fan of country but I can get down to a good country band too.

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."

- Louis Armstrong

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I voted reggae partly because it looked lonely and partly because I play ska (amongst other genres) on the trombone.

Honestly. I love at least half of the genres listed depending on my mood - including jazz.

Don't worry about Reggae being lonely just get used to it being not respected. It's cultural music and that is a hard sell sometimes.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived