Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Snow... in October?

Synthoid

I know snow is a common event this time of year in other parts of the USA (and the world) but they are predicting 4-8 inches of snow here in SE Pennsylvania. I can't remember ever getting snow here this early... with leaves still on the trees. It was about 60 here yesterday!

:facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October (and April) is the "wild card" as far as weather - it can be 60 deg spring weather or snowy. Yesterday we had our first dusting of white stuff.

I remember a week in January where it was 60 deg all week. The trees got konphused and started budding.

Yep, they are calling for 2 to 4" of wet heavy snow tomorrow night here in PA. Wonderful, I hope the power doesn't go out. I will stay home the rest of the weekend.

Its early for snow, but not totally out of hand. If we don't want snow, we can always move to NORTH CAROLINA close to where Tom lives. Rumor has it he always has cold beer on hand!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yep, they are calling for 2 to 4" of wet heavy snow tomorrow night here in PA. Wonderful, I hope the power doesn't go out. I will stay home the rest of the weekend.

Its early for snow, but not totally out of hand. If we don't want snow, we can always move to NORTH CAROLINA close to where Tom lives. Rumor has it he always has cold beer on hand!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Mike, We just drove through your area last weekend, heading east on I-80 to the Poconos (Milford-area.)

You live close to State College, correct?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Cheers,

Mike T.

C'mon down, Mike. :thu:

I can't guarantee we won't get snow, but the refrigerators are ALWAYS stocked with a choice of fine beverages! :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Mike, We just drove through your area last weekend, heading east on I-80 to the Poconos (Milford-area.)

You live close to State College, correct?

Yep, I live about 10 miles from I-80 in the farm country that surrounds State College.

Hey Tom.......I KNEW I could count on you to have COLD BEER in stock! You da man! If I wasn't so POOR I'd love to do a road trip. North Carolina is one of my very favorite states!

When I retired from playing music on the road, I ALMOST moved there! Lucky for you, I didn't! If I had, you would NEVER have had any beer left!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike, do you have much snow accumulation there? We had snow falling earlier but that changed over to sleet. Right now there's just a dusting on the grass.

about 4 inches north of Denver. it was wet ceament, already melted.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I spoke on the phone with my parents, who live in Whitehouse Station, NJ, (near Flemington). 3" of snow on the ground at 2:30 pm EDT, no electricity and it's 31 degrees. And I'm 900 miles away and can't help.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

One tree in the front of the house is really getting weighed down.

My dad was outside and said the sound of snapping tree limbs was like a gunfight....

That bad? Wow...

Where is Al Gore when you need him? :)

Er, you DO know that Al invented the internet, right? :cool:

http://thedanashow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/al_gore.jpg

We are getting slammed here in Long Valley. On a generator.

I usually plow with my tractor but I haven't taken the brush hog off it yet! Thankfully, my brother-in-law plowed with his ATV. For us in Jersey, this is crazy for 10/28!

Trees with leaves + wet snow = trouble!

Regards,

Joe

I remember being at a camp at the end of October and getting snowed in when I was a kit.

Being a kit can really suck. :(

I always used waaaay too much glue puting together my first kits.

But that's another story for another day..; :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Ah, you guys are a bunch of weenies. About 12 or 13 years ago, a friend of mine and me went winter camping in January on top of the highest mountain in our immediate area for 3 days. There was lots of snow and we wanted to be up there so we could snow shoe, live in elements to see if we really WERE tough enough, as well as prepared.

The temperatures were in the mid to upper twenties during the day and somewhat colder at night.

It was quite an experience. We had to transport our supplies on a sled and haul it on an old gas line trail manually. No snow mobiles or modern motorized equipment. We hauled two loads of dry firewood in to stay warn. Fortunately, we did not get hit with any freezing rain or more snow. Being that both me and my buddy had seen a number of large bears in that area over the years, and had heard rumors of a mountain lion, we were WELL ARMED. Contrary to folklore, bears DO NOT hibernate all winter.

It was a LOT of physical work but a great time. I probably slept two days after I returned home after that camping trip.

Not recommended for city people or old people, one of which I am now. I wouldn't attempt it again at my age.

Cheers,

Mike T.

I chickened out on going to my Saturday Jazz Ensemble because of the snowfall, thinking it might turn out to be a real blizzard or something, and the trains were all bollixed up, and I might have to walk several blocks lugging my guitar in a snowstorm (yes, I'm a wuss at times, LOL). Turned out it all melted soon after. But a bunch of tree branches fell on my block, and they had to call out a police emergency crew to remove them from the road so traffic could proceed.

Guess I need more of the post office attitude, where neither sleet nor snow nor hail nor fog nor thunderstorm nor tornado nor blizzard nor balmy breeze prevents ME from getting to the job, by God! LOL

Anybody gig in the snow? I did! It was a Halloween costume party benefit for the Tommy Toy Fund. Although many tickets were sold, turn out was only about 50 or 60. It was in eastern CT. - forgetting that it is OCTOBER, the snowfall was not really that bad. Only about a couple of inches. However just a few short miles north, folks were seeing much more, up to over a foot of snow.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived