Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where there's a will...and money involved...

ksoper

My friend Jason just sent me two songs to put piano on. I told him about the busted lunch hook when it happened, but said I'd take a run at them.

Luckily for me they were old-school country tunes where simple parts make more sense. A waltz and a mid-tempo 6/8. Used two tracks, played the right hand part first, then the left. Relied on "nudge" feature quite a bit, but learned quite a bit about economy of notes.

I'd rather take more time than lose the work. I'll be damned if I'm losing music work.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had an operation on my right hand about a year ago and my thumb was immobilized for 2 weeks. I just kept playing. You adjust. I figured, look at Django Reinhart . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'd rather take more time than lose the work. I'll be damned if I'm losing music work.
When I broke my leg (needed surgery), the only thing about it that really pissed me off at the time was that I had to back out of a gig the next night. Good for you man!
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I get you, man. About 3 years ago, I was MD'ing this show on tour and in Florida, the road crew were assembling the staging and speaker arrays and they knocked over a speaker crushing my left foot.

I ended up getting a wheelchair from the hotel we were staying at and rehearsing the show band for two days from a wheelchair, before I had time to get to a doctor. Good God, I never knew a broken foot could hurt so bad! By the second day I was getting shivering fits from the friggin' pain.

I learned that carpet and wheelchairs don't mix and to keep my ass away from the stage until the crew is done assembling everything.

But yeah, the show must go on, the parts must get recorded! Keep nudging them notes and collecting those checks and here's to a speedy recovery. :)

I still think people don't give musicians enough credit for a lot of the circumstances we have to endure to make it look "easy" in the end.

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Archived