Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played with a Jupiter 80 today..brief impressions

EscapeRocks

Well, I found a nearby GC that had one on the floor to audition.

I took my in ears and a mini-to 1/4" adapter plug.

Keep in mind the following is all subjective.

Interface:

First, maybe it's because I'm used to Korg and/or Yamaha interfaces: I initially found the JP80 interface to be very unintuitive. When I first sat down, and turned on the machine, it came up in the last state it was left in, which is fine.

However it was some multi part sound (what Korg calls combi).

I wanted to start with a very basic piano sound, so I studied the board for a second, and found the "piano button" and pressed it.

Well, all this did was make the piano part of the multi timbral sound.

Okay, how to turn off all the other crap and just get one sound.

I am not a stupid person, and can work my way around workstations and synths. For the life of me, though, I could not find a simple procedure to get back to one sound (registration?) covering the entire board.

Finally, after much monkeying around, I got it. Then I made the mistake of pressing a button in the "solo" section...I think Oboe. That was cool. Good sounds. Now then, how the hell do you turn it off? I dunno.

The touch screen I like very much. Easily readable, and offers many controls and views. While I am totally comfortable with the Kronos touchview screen, the Jupiter 8 is much easier to read without glasses :)

I'm sure the overall interface isn't that bad, but unlike other complex boards I've owned, it will take some manual reading/study to get it all down.

The layout of all the hardware controls is good and felt solid.

Only thin I was missing was a number pad to call up a specific sound directly.

Build:

The Jupiter is built like a tank, especially compared with other similarly sized synths. I like the metal case. I like it's weight. Everything felt solid. The buttons, the sliders, the data wheel, etc.. All felt securely attached and ready for live use.

Sounds:

The most subjective part. I really, really like the sounds. A lot of excellent starting points and even some I wouldn't have to edit for my needs. The synth leads and pads were great, and once I figured out the touch screen and how to manipulate the controls, I had that "slow attack" brass/synth sound of Separate Ways dialed in perfectly, as an example.

The other orchestral instruments were also very good. Brass, woodwinds: the flute was awesome.

The pianos were good. Many variations to be had. Maybe not the greatest for solo work without some tweaking, but in a band situation, they were good. Based on my experience with piano sounds in a band, these would definitely cut through in the mix.

The organ.. well, it's no CX3 (which is my only frame of reference). However, I think it would also hold it's own in a rock band setting.

I didn't dig too deeply into the sounds and their variations I just wanted to get an overall feel for what it offers.

Overall, I think the sounds on the Jupiter 80 are excellent.

Keybed:

The keybed is solid. Semi-weighted. Not as light as true synth keys, but obviously not piano keys either. Somewhere in between. They definitely have a heavier feel than my Triton Ex or the Kronos 61. Organ swipes were very comfortable.

Also, while not a weight board, I played Root Beer Rag (Billy Joel), and if I had to, I could get by using it as a main piano board at a gig. I tried Prelude/Angry Young Man, but that went beyond the boards ability to keep up with my thumbs :)

All in all, I think this is a winner. It is definitely a performance/gigging oriented keyboard. I just downloaded the manual and am going to study it for a bit and go back to GC tomorrow and dig deeper.

When I am able to move forward with a purchase(as discussed in a previous thread) I am now reconsidering my choice of the Kronos. Don't get me wrong, I love the Kronos. However, the new Jupiter 80 is now very much in the game.

I've already studied Kronos manual and know how it will integrate into my rig. I'm going to do the same with the Jupiter and then make a decision.

Dave

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That pic of Jon Cain playing a Jupiter 80 got you going, huh?

It's pretty debatable whether the B3 sounds on the J80 "hold their own in a rock band setting." In a cover band where B3 is just an occasional sound, it can pass. But if I needed organ on, say, half the songs a band plays, I wouldn't be happy with what the J80 brings.

I do recommend reading the manual before trying out this board. Everything is actually very simple, but may not appear that way at first contact.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I imagine that if the JP-80 does just what someone wants except the organ sounds aren't cutting it, that could probably be solved with a Ventilator. Maybe expensive for a pedal, but cheaper and lighter than an XK1/SK1/E3/etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I imagine that if the JP-80 does just what someone wants except the organ sounds aren't cutting it, that could probably be solved with a Ventilator. Maybe expensive for a pedal, but cheaper and lighter than an XK1/SK1/E3/etc.

There is no C/V. It also lacks selectable outs. The solution for the J80 organ sounds is an SK1 (or other clone). But I think organ is the only area where it really falls down as an all-in-one board. Everything else is at least decent. I think of it as a great VA synth with enough other sounds to function in most situations.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Interesting that you had a similar experience to myself. I tried one at a store and I was also unable to disable the multiple split points. I tried rebooting (a remarkably slow process) but it didn't help. I just wanted to play some piano but eventually gave up after 5 frustrating minutes and went to the guitar department to jam on some acoustic guitars instead.
hang out with me at woody piano shack

There is no C/V.

Ah, I always forget about that, because I never use C/V. Probably because my real tonewheel hammond, circa 1940, didn't have it! I think it's probably more widely used by jazz players than rock players, so some people might be fine without it.

It also lacks selectable outs.

I don't know about the JP-80 in particular, but since I do all my live gigging in mono anyway, I've gotten around that on some boards by simply panning. If you pan your organ sound right and your other sounds left, you have, in a sense, assignable outs. Though also, if you're only playing one sound at a time and don't need to play some other sound while playing organ, I suppose you could just go back and forth between the Ventilator's engaged and bypassed mode depending on whether or not you were playing organ.

I would be very hesitant to add a true clonewheel to the JP-80, because if I had a JP-80, I'd probably still want a weighted 88, so the clonewheel instantly gets me to three keyboards, which can be a bit much. Unless maybe the weighted 88 you pick is something like a Nord Stage or a Kronos, which have good organ sounds that you could presumably drive from the unweighted JP-80's action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interface:

First, maybe it's because I'm used to Korg and/or Yamaha interfaces: I initially found the JP80 interface to be very unintuitive. When I first sat down, and turned on the machine, it came up in the last state it was left in, which is fine.

However it was some multi part sound (what Korg calls combi).

I wanted to start with a very basic piano sound, so I studied the board for a second, and found the "piano button" and pressed it.

Well, all this did was make the piano part of the multi timbral sound.

Okay, how to turn off all the other crap and just get one sound.

I am not a stupid person, and can work my way around workstations and synths. For the life of me, though, I could not find a simple procedure to get back to one sound (registration?) covering the entire board.

I had exactly the same experience. I also think they should not have named this product Jupiter. Based on the name I was expecting something more like a V-Synth. It may have those capabilities but I couldn't find them.

I keep hearing great things about this product but I may have to read the manual before going into to check it out again.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

You disable lower & solo section split points by pressing the illuminated split button next to the corresponding row of colored buttons.

If you want to start with a basic piano sound press the *next* key on the lower reg panel 5-6 times until you see an initialized registration. Grand piano is the default sound in upper section.

press the *next* key on the lower reg panel 5-6 times ...

That's awesomely funny actually!

Sorry I offered to help. I left a little bit out...then you press B then one of the numbered lights. Or just touch the registration name and spin the dial 4-5 times until you get to an initialized patch.

Don't be sorry, I wasn't criticizing you! I was laughing at the modern day relevance/meaning of "next" and spontaneity as exemplified by the need to hit anything 5x.

Believe me, your assistance here is appreciated, even if by no one but me as I will be checking the JP8 out.

Thanks dude!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I left a little bit out...then you press B then one of the numbered lights. Or just touch the registration name and spin the dial 4-5 times until you get to an initialized patch.

By that time, the band has moved on to the next song!

:laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

"Next" button advances to the next 4 groups of registration banks ABC&D - each consisting of 8 registrations each 1-8. Holding shift while turning the dial while a registration is selected does the same thing.

If you are demoing Jupiter for the first time & you're done browsing the combis, find a init registration and touch the upper patch. Should say Grand Piano. If you double click it takes you to category view. There are 2299 four layer live sets to play. Within a live set there's another 2000+ single layer tones.

press the *next* key on the lower reg panel 5-6 times ...

That's awesomely funny actually!

Sorry I offered to help. I left a little bit out...then you press B then one of the numbered lights. Or just touch the registration name and spin the dial 4-5 times until you get to an initialized patch.

Must be a first on a synth, memorize the launch codes to find a piano patch... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• 8 months later...
You disable lower & solo section split points by pressing the illuminated split button next to the corresponding row of colored buttons.

If you want to start with a basic piano sound press the *next* key on the lower reg panel 5-6 times until you see an initialized registration. Grand piano is the default sound in upper section.

I know there have been a couple of software updates, and I haven't had a chance to play with one, but looking at the manuals, it's much simpler now, yes? Hit the "Single Part Play" button on the main screen, and then just hit the hard-button marked "Piano," right?

There is no C/V. It also lacks selectable outs.

Actually, the JP-80 and (a pleasant surprise) even the JP-50 do have selectable outs. And I think maybe you can get the C/V with the new 2.0 upgrade, since you can now cascade the fx (so you wouldn't have to choose between a C/V effect or a Leslie effect). Though I don't know if the any of the chorus or vibrato effects settings can necessarily emulate the tonewheel versions of those fx.

Archived