Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Argent - Hold Your Head Up

ArnoldLayne

I was finally talked into learning this song for the Classic Rock cover band I have been in for the last two years. I was hoping for some technical assistance as I am at a loss as to what key(s) Rod is working in the organ solo.

I've picked up most of the signature licks but when he is rolling around in between those licks I get lost. I really don't want to learn this solo note for note because it seems pointless - not that it is not awesome but I should be able to improvise something close enough.

Can anyone offer some tips as to what scales he might be using or what you may have worked up yourselves?

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rod is an amazing soloist. He uses classical progressions to give himself some interesting changes to play over.

The basic solo is in Dm. He switches to the major 5th A a few times, and I seem to remember a progression that went Dm, Gm, E/D, A/D, Dm.

Good luck with it - it can be a very fun solo to play!

Moe

---

I'd love to be in a band gigging stuff like that. I've live stuff on and I enjoy doing it - but no prog rock/art rock stuff.

Answered half a dozen Gumtree and JoinMyBand type ads over the last few years looking for a keyboard player for a "prog rock" band - it's never anything I'd recognise as prog rock - just kids doing Dream Theatre style heavy metal noodling.

I wish you all the best with your band and your Argent cover - blast from the past for me seeing his name on there.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Thanks for the insight, Moe. That was the extent of my observation as well (Dm along with the Bb). The progression you mentioned is IMO the highlight of the solo and I may default to that more than twice until I get more ideas!

Pale, if you were at our show next weekend I can really show you how to miss the mark on this song!

StillGigging, I was very lucky to find this band. I was 10 years out of the music scene and was talked into going to see these guys when they were playing near my house. Nice guys, very professional, lots of fun and we play nearly every weekend. All 70's and early 80's stuff I love. This area is really starved for this music and they love us which makes it even better.

Unfortunately, the Band thinks since I can play Foreplay I can play anything. I've been playing (working on) Foreplay for over 30 years though ;)

off to practice...

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

Answered half a dozen Gumtree and JoinMyBand type ads over the last few years looking for a keyboard player for a "prog rock" band - it's never anything I'd recognise as prog rock - just kids doing Dream Theatre style heavy metal noodling.

Around here it's usually "folk rock" or Bluegrass bands. I keep hoping though...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

One of my favorite Hammond rock songs. Never covered it live, which I regret.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This one is from just last year... but oh no, he's using an X stand!

[video:youtube]

Damn, I wish the sound was better in this video. I love it at 5:50 when he almost collides with the camera man...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I just got involved in a project, and this is one of the songs they want to do....along with MM's "blinded by the light" and "for you".

That first MM tune you mentioned would be a blast to play live. How do you nail the sounds? There's a mellow B3 (phased?), a synth scream, a Chopsticks piano... anything else?

How do you nail the sounds? There's a mellow B3 (phased?), a synth scream, a Chopsticks piano... anything else?

The first sound (playing the 8th note chords) is a Rhodes, not a B3. The organ comes in with the whole note chords halfway through the opening section.

OT: Getting set list envy here - variation of the gear envy the Kronos and Jupe threads gave me.

Students are back and next gig for me is for Freshers' Week. New tunes are by Bruno Mars, The Killers and Michael Buble.

Not complaining - we'll go down great, I like the tunes. The guys dumped the funk set but kept the Stevie stuff for me.

I have this image of me on stage with a bunch of old hands and not the youngsters I'm working with now. Singer walks on stage, gives me the nod to get ready and over to the mic then ...

"Ladies and gentlemen. Anyone hungry ... Supper's Ready."

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I agree... I would love to play in Tonysounds' bands...

Tribute bands that I would consider playing in:

Pink Floyd

Phish

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Three Dog Night

Steely Dan

Deep Purple (did that... fantastic)

Allman Brothers (did that as well)

Interesting, you're asking for technical assistance with the Argent song but would consider a Steely Dan Tribute band where the music is 10X more complicated and solos have to be on the mark ......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Interesting, you're asking for technical assistance with the Argent song but would consider a Steely Dan Tribute band where the music is 10X more complicated and solos have to be on the mark ......

Ummm... perhaps a quick moment to actually read the thread, you'd see Hammonddave isn't the one asking for help here. :facepalm:

Oops, my bad. No wonder the comment seemed strange to me; it wasn't his comment. 10,000 apologies HammondDave .......

No Problem... Delaware Dave...

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to be in a band gigging stuff like that. I've live stuff on and I enjoy doing it - but no prog rock/art rock stuff.

I have a band called Abstract Eye that covers Hold Your Head Up, plus Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain, some Focus, early Floyd, The Doors, etc.

Basically we cover 67-72 . The irony is we always get a great reception when we play but find it difficult to get gigs. Most promoters and pubs just seem to want to book "classic rock" bands who'll play Alright Now, Radar Love, Hairway to Steven, etc, etc :sleep:

[video:youtube]

What about the fifth apart unison organ licks Rod plays between verses. On the live video Mate Stubb posted Rod pretty much skips these, although on the midnight special video i believe hes playing a 2 manual B and plays these licks. To you that cover this, do you play these licks?

FunMachine.

Me?

Yes, I play those. No problems there. It's the solo that kicks my butt.

Although, I have found that improvising a lot of the solo live with the band sounds much better than practicing to the recording - having Mr. Argent mop the floor with me along the way ;)

Archived