Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES7 Pianos

darc68

I recently bought a MotifES7 from a fellow forumite. I`m extremely happy w/ the board.

I am having trouble finding a Really Good Natural Piano Sound though. I`m looking for something close to the CP200/250/300. Am I dreaming? Is it possible to find one for the ES7? I`m excited to hear some options from the forum.

P.S - I`m trying to avoid Buying a CP and having to lug it around.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm "in the same boat" as you, darc68. I purchased a Motif ES-Rack only to have the Motif XS line emerge a few months later, which offers GREATLY improved pianos. Fortunately, the ES has many other nice sounds, so I've kept it. I just don't use it for piano.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I use the mono piano preset in my ES rack for my piano needs currently. I like the overall sound and the response when played from my PX-330. One thing that bugs me though is the very static sounding decay due to the obviously short samples. Does the PLG-150AP do anything to improve that? Probably not.

It's kinda moot at this point since I'm pretty close to moving over to Pianoteq running on my new laptop.

I tried my bandleader's Motif XS rack and thought the acoustic pianos sucked. He does also and uses it mainly for EP sounds. The Kurzweil PC2R is a good compromise for me for both of these types of sounds.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I may give the PLG-150AP a try. At this point I`m open to anything. I love the board for everyting else I need it to do.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

The "Full Grand" is my favorite acoustic piano sound on the ES. You can edit the EQ settings in any of the sounds. For example, I tried the "Bright Piano" and found that yes, it was brighter, but lacked bass. So by increasing the low EQ settings I was able to get a bright enough sound to cut through without having totally feeble bass.

Keep in mind that the ES is not a "new" instrument. There have been several new versions of the Motif series since the ES came out. You might be listening to the ES with 2011 ears.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have had an ES8 for several years now and bought Ksounds Piano 1 soundset for it. I love it! It offers MUCH longer samples and decay times as well as great dynamics and tone. It is a sampling of a Steinway grand. Ksounds also offers Piano 2 which is a Kawai grand.

Make sure you have extra DIMMS memory installed and then you can add this soundset to your autoload and have some great pianos every time you power on.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Id avoid the AP expansion board: I bought it and returned it (and MADE them refund the money) as I thought those piano sounds were inferior to the onboard sounds.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

There was a customer loyalty promotion after the ES came out, and yamaha released sound banks for the ES. One of them in particular was the S700 piano patch. This was highly favored by users (check out old posts on motifator on this) and because of its high demand it was also included in yamaha's XSpand my world promotion of which I use this S700 piano patch in my XS as my main go-to piano patch.

You need to get your hands on the Customer loyalty banks.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I did mean the CP 200/250/300 Pianos. They are not only heavier butch much bulkier. The road cases are brutal to carry around. I`m gonna look for the S700 you mentioned. ALso maybe tweak the oatches I have as allession mentioned.

Great ideas and conversation guys thanks.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Do any of the Motifs have the main piano sample from the P200? I think this sample was also used in the P250 and is Piano 2 in the CP300 and the P series (P95, P155, etc.). It's also the main piano sample in the P50-m. It's very bright and will cut through anything. I don't know which Yamaha piano was sampled for it.

I found the S700 download. Hopefully I`ll be able to install it and use it. I`m terrible at the technical stuff but determined. I post an update ASAP.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

I found the S700 download. Hopefully I`ll be able to install it and use it. I`m terrible at the technical stuff but determined. I post an update ASAP.

Yeah please let us know how this goes. I also have an ES7 and would like to give this a try. The acoustic piano I'm using on that board is just the GrndSw waveset in a custom patch I came up with myself to fit with my amplification and playing style. I'm running fairly long AEG decays but that exposes those short loops big time.

It's been a good piano for band use where you can't hear how static those decays get. But I'd like better.

When will Yamaha stop neutering the rack versions of the Motif by omitting sampling?

:idk The Castrato rack concept will probably be with us for at least another generation. Then on to a new crop to neuter.... Maybe they should develop a chorus sample that emulates the Vienna Boys' Choir from the 15th Century :idea:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have the ES6 and remember the S900 being one of the best I heard for the ES. I also seem to remember Irish Acts website having a great piano sample set as well along with other instruments, or at least the demos sounded great (haven't tried anything mentioned here except the S900.

-Edit: I did a follow up and that 300MB Grand Piano sample set was for the Korg M3 - sorry to confuse anyone.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Assuming darc68 meant the new Yamaha CPs, ES7 is 42.3lbs, CP1 is 55.5lbs.

Yep, it's heavier.

Doesn't matter what CP he meant, they're ALL heavier. Only the CP50 comes close, at 20.9kg vs. the ES7's 19.2kg.

(He's also erroneously referred to the P200 & P250 as "CP200" and "CP250", but those are also heavier than the Motif ES7.

By aelisson62:

I have had an ES8 for several years now and bought Ksounds Piano 1 soundset for it. I love it! It offers MUCH longer samples and decay times as well as great dynamics and tone. It is a sampling of a Steinway grand. Ksounds also offers Piano 2 which is a Kawai grand.

I never gave much thought to buying after market sounds for my ES8. One thing that would seem to be an improvement that I didn't consider is the longer samples and decay times.

I tried the S700 patch on my ES8 but I didn't like it as much as the Full Grand sound. Compared to what I had before I bought my ES8, anything was a big improvement. Its all relative.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

When will Yamaha stop neutering the rack versions of the Motif by omitting sampling?

So will the S700 sample work on the Motif-ES Rack....or is there not enough memory?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

So will the S700 sample work on the Motif-ES Rack....or is there not enough memory?

I t will not work. S700 is a sample voice, and the motif racks do not have sampling capability.

-Greg

Do any of the Motifs have the main piano sample from the P200? I think this sample was also used in the P250 and is Piano 2 in the CP300 and the P series (P95, P155, etc.). It's also the main piano sample in the P50-m. It's very bright and will cut through anything. I don't know which Yamaha piano was sampled for it.

Bump. Anyone know?

Bump. Anyone know?

I can tell you that the XS and XF pianos are not. During both these promotions yamaha boasted that the pianos had new samples, XF specifically came from newly sampled CFIII and S6 (and others). I remember during the XS promotions, because it has 8 elements per voice the pianos were also new.

However, the es (i think) did some borrowing from the S90 pianos. Of course I might be wrong, you'll have to investigate. S90 pianos were highly praised by users at the time. Not sure the P series DPs pianos samples were ever mentioned to be included any motif model.

-Greg

Bump. Anyone know?

They all do- the sample is a CFIIIs. Doesn't mean it's the exact sample-in everything but it's the same piano- CFIIIs.

Thanks, aellison62! I appreciate you recommending my pianos!

For the folks who wanted the main piano sound from the P200 / P50-m, that was the PowerGrand piano in the original Motif. It was released on the Sound Library CD that shipped with the Motif ES, and Yamaha has made it available to XS and XF owners as well via free downloads.

Keven Spargo, Sound Designer

www.ksounds.com

Quality sounds for Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and Kontakt formats

Thanks, aellison62! I appreciate you recommending my pianos!

For the folks who wanted the main piano sound from the P200 / P50-m, that was the PowerGrand piano in the original Motif. It was released on the Sound Library CD that shipped with the Motif ES, and Yamaha has made it available to XS and XF owners as well via free downloads.

Excellent! thank you for clearing this up.

-Greg

Excellent! thank you for clearing this up.

+1

I also recommend against buying the PLG150 AP board. I probably got the one that Tony returned, ..........I agree with him 100%.

The S700 sample set for the ES sounds better than the AP board IMO. Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Archived