Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This man's got serious chops (video)

bloodsample

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joey DeFrancesco? Never heard of him! is he italian? :evil:

He recorded an album with Jimmy Smith, no need to say anything else. :D

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

This is a great example of something you can mine for licks, 65 odd choruses over the blues. Lots of great ideas over the blues and great playing and development. Dig it!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

He does something right at 4:55 just as the camera moves off of his right hand that looks and sounds impossible. I wish I could have seen how he was playing that staccato ascending line. It looks like he starts doing it with is 3rd and 4th fingers.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

This is a great example of something you can mine for licks, 65 odd choruses over the blues. Lots of great ideas over the blues and great playing and development. Dig it!

So true!! Very nice!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

It is impossible . . . for mere mortals. The camera panned away so as not give us mere mortals the key to immortality.

But seriously though: Lennie Tristano use to have his students practice scales using just 4, then 3, then 2 fingers, in different combinations. I've done these exercises a bit, and I find it does help prepare your hands to respond to the quirky messages it might be getting from you brain.

At around 1:26 he does this cool lick where he goes up and down a certain scale. Is that a HW tone scale? He seems to use that kind of thing in a lot of his blues solos. He seems to pick the perfect moments to jump out of a typical blues lick and wander into this other scale (which I assume is some kind of HW scale but I could be wrong).

Has he lost *some* weight?

And who is "Charles DeFrancesco" in the second video, his brother? :evil:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like Joey D. He's a very precise player with a big heart who loves to play, and rarely overplays. Jimmy Smith was the grand dad of this stuff, tremendous chops and flash, and a loose but powerful mix of soulful blues, bop, and "organistics".

That's all you need to know.

Well then let's include Smith and a few guys who don't get mentioned enough: Don Patterson and Larry Young. Very different players, equally accomplished in their styles. If Smith was the 'king of soul' on organ (although his broad playing went beyond "soul"), Don Patterson was the 'king of bop' on organ, and Larry Young's personal style took organ music in new directions. (And I may have left out some.)

I have been a fan of Smith since about 1965 (I was 12 then), of course taking in most of the others that came on the radar. Seems that the torch was passed to Joey when the late great Mr. Smith passed. I think Joey is the one. He has acquired the Smith touch, thank god. Smith had it however when he was half Joey's age ! Now the study continues....

Just my observation,

Regards,

Joey D ripping it at NAMM 2011. Sorry if this has been posted before.

[video:youtube]

He always has the most musical solos no matter how fast he plays them IMO.

I don't see or hear any chops...

Larry Young

:thu::thu::thu: The last few weeks I've been listening to his Complete Blue Note recordings. His solos and overall playing are so soulful and fresh, yet always very controlled. Like Joey he can play a six minute solo and it never gets boring. Big recommendation to everyone who doesn't know him!

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Well then let's include Smith and a few guys who don't get mentioned enough: Don Patterson and Larry Young. Very different players, equally accomplished in their styles. If Smith was the 'king of soul' on organ (although his broad playing went beyond "soul"), Don Patterson was the 'king of bop' on organ, and Larry Young's personal style took organ music in new directions. (And I may have left out some.)

I love both DP and Larry Young but they are still derivative of Jimmy Smith (DP moreso). Again, find the bootleg of the Newport concert. Better yet, the 3 disc set from Mosaic of the early Jimmy Smith sessions. He is going WAY beyond what he settled into later (the bluesy souljazz stuff) and is touching on everything that followed, including what Young eventually got into, in that early stuff. It's incredible.

None of this is meant to undermine what Joey is doing; he's a monster. But it all starts with Jimmy Smith and everything Joey is doing comes from that.

I love both DP and Larry Young but they are still derivative of Jimmy Smith (DP moreso). Again, find the bootleg of the Newport concert. Better yet, the 3 disc set from Mosaic of the early Jimmy Smith sessions. He is going WAY beyond what he settled into later (the bluesy souljazz stuff) and is touching on everything that followed, including what Young eventually got into, in that early stuff. It's incredible.

None of this is meant to undermine what Joey is doing; he's a monster. But it all starts with Jimmy Smith and everything Joey is doing comes from that.

I tend to agree, and one of the interesting things about this is how rare it is that one person stands so prominently amongst a field of virtuosos. For the piano, there can be strenuous and legitimate debates about Hancock v. Corea v. Jarrett or what have you. For B3 jazz, there is Jimmy Smith, and then there is everybody else.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Nothing against Jimmy Smith either - he was the most exciting organist and his impact on the organ scene is indisputable. Saw him play live too. I was into every jazz organ LP back when I played organ, McDuff, Holmes, Earland, McGriff, Patterson, Young, etc.

Just did a search: good stuff down the page on jazz organ history, for those who want to more more :

http://www.afana.org/jazzorgan.htm#THE%20BEGINNING

• 3 weeks later...
Yeesh . . . . Back to the woodshed . . . .

I've noticed that when Joey plays bass lines, he never seems to cross his thumb under his fingers, or his fingers over his thumb. How he do dat?

he's got long-ass fingers. I do too, and I rarely cross under or over, even though it was drilled into me as a kid.

(edit) not saying I play anywhere near as fast or as clean as he does. Dude's pretty ridiculous...

Yeesh . . . . Back to the woodshed . . . .

I've noticed that when Joey plays bass lines, he never seems to cross his thumb under his fingers, or his fingers over his thumb. How he do dat?

he's got long-ass fingers. I do too, and I rarely cross under or over, even though it was drilled into me as a kid.

(edit) not saying I play anywhere near as fast or as clean as he does. Dude's pretty ridiculous...

Huh? When I saw Joey (only about 60-70 people in the audience - sadly), I sat right above him on a balcony. Then during a break went up to him to sign my CD (after a humble bow) and shook his hand. I was amazed at how short and "stubby" his fingers were. Totally amazing watching him play - had a great view - and was wondering the whole time how he does it with such short "fat" fingers! :crazy:

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I've noticed that when Joey plays bass lines, he never seems to cross his thumb under his fingers, or his fingers over his thumb. How he do dat? he's got long-ass fingers. I do too, and I rarely cross under or over, even though it was drilled into me as a kid.

I don't think he has long fingers! Like mentioned above too, he has sort of short 'fat' fingers.

Which is Pretty Amazing!!!

Joey D and Steve Gadd have just recently recorded an album together,"Live At Voce."

They do a version of Bye Bye Blackbird that knocked me out.

I've heard it a couple of times on Syrius XM satellite radio.

I thought there was a trumpet player in the band but it turned out that Joey played the horn himself while kicking bass pedals.

His phrasing was impeccable. He sounds just as good blowing whole notes as he does blazing away.

• 8 months later...
Go forth and find ye the bootleg of Jimmy Smith playing at the 1959 Newport Jazz Festival. That's all you need to know.
Would this be it?

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jimmy-smith-trio/concerts/newport-jazz-festival-july-04-1959.html

It's not a long set, but it's burnin'.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived