Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pink Floyd 're-form'... Shock-Horror ???

JpScoey

Just seen this on the BBC morning news (with video clips to prove it)...

At last night's Roger Waters 'The Wall' show at London's O2 arena,

Dave Gilmore appeared on stage to play Comfortably Numb :thu:

(& although it wasn't made clear, apparently played the rest of the show)

- then Nick Mason later appeared towards the end !

I think it's fair to say no-one expected those three ever to play together again ?

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wouldn't they play together again?

Errrmmm.... numerous law-suits thrown backwards & forwards between Waters vs 'the others.

Gilmour stating publicly that he couldn't ever see himself in the same town as Waters ever again..... etc, etc.

That type of thing. :facepalm:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

...am I being too cynical but does this gig appearance have anything to do with this.. https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2301166/OT_Pink_Floyd_to_reissue_album#Post2301166

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Didn't see this thread when I posted the following in another one

Roger Waters joined by Dave Gilmour and later Nick Mason during Waters Wall concert at the O2 arena in London last night. The Crowd went wild, as you would expect

what a moment ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHX6VsU2ZA
"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

When Gilmour heard that EMI was releasing the definitive and complete Pink Floyd he simply couldn't stand it. Now they can footnote everything.

>> So, any chance of any Pink Floyd performances in the future involving all three surviving members? "There are absolutely no plans," he said immediately. <<

It seems to me the lawsuits were settled a while back by Waters dropping them and going his merry way?

Let's not forget that we started to see a bit of a thaw in relations at the last Live Aid concert, before Rick Wright passed.

But doing the O2 just to get Roger Waters to sing To Know Him Is To Love Him? That's absolutely hysterical.

Not surprised however to hear that there are no further plans for the three to play together: Gilmour and especially Mason seem to be enjoying various stages of semi-retirement.

I'm a huge fan, but with all the tiresome, public nonsense between them over the years, I really could give a rat's ass whether they play together again (maybe it's cuz I'm firing on 4hrs sleep.. :sleep:)

When one of them wants to buy an island, look for it to happen.

Bring on the "lightly" mastered surround mixes!!!

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

It seems to me the lawsuits were settled a while back by Waters dropping them and going his merry way?

Let's not forget that we started to see a bit of a thaw in relations at the last Live Aid concert, before Rick Wright passed.

But doing the O2 just to get Roger Waters to sing To Know Him Is To Love Him? That's absolutely hysterical.

Not surprised however to hear that there are no further plans for the three to play together: Gilmour and especially Mason seem to be enjoying various stages of semi-retirement.

It was always Gilmour that didn't want to do it. He made it clear there was no Pink Floyd before Live 8, but i think now they're in good terms.

Anyways, there were rumours that they would play together at the Glastonbury Festival, that year or the next (Before Wright died), but the Festival was already booked and even though it was Pink Floyd, they said that Pink Floyd management's called in a little too late and couldn't replace any of the bands already in it.

The rest is history....Wright passed away and that would be the last chance to see the 4 guys together (for those who missed the live 8), which didn't happen.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

No, the lawsuits were generated AND settled long after Waters went his merry way. They got to keep the name, and in return he kept all rights to The Wall. The Cold War between them continued pretty much until Live 8.

As for the duet, that was very clearly the impetus: Gilmours wife is very involved in that particular charity, and its all about raising money. I didnt read that story, but Id heard an interview with Waters, and when he heard the demo Gilmour made for him to practice he was very intimidated (saying David sounds great, hes a real singer) and very reluctant to do it. That was Gilmours offering (to do a surprise date of his choice). Id love it if they toured and recorded again, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Watching the youtube vids of Gilmour's appearance just reminds me what an incredible concert experience Roger Waters' The Wall was.

And seeing the semi-reunion also reminds me how sad it is that the world lost Rick Wright.

Noah

P.S. Is it just me or did Gilmour actually sound pretty shitty on that final solo?

Why wouldn't they play together again?

Errrmmm.... numerous law-suits thrown backwards & forwards between Waters vs 'the others.

Gilmour stating publicly that he couldn't ever see himself in the same town as Waters ever again..... etc, etc.

Well, they reunited for Live 8 back in 2005 and even considered touring again. You'd have to think they were on halfway decent terms with each other for that to happen.

Well, they reunited for Live 8 back in 2005...

That happened.

...and even considered touring again.

This however did NOT.

Bob Geldof basically bullied those guys into doing Live 8. And after prepping for that show, Gilmour reiterated his desire that touring with Waters never happen, saying (paraphrasing here) that Roger has certainly become more civil, but his desire to control has not diminished in the least.

Yeah, I miss Richard Wright. What could have been.

That happened.

This however did NOT.

Bob Geldof basically bullied those guys into doing Live 8. And after prepping for that show, Gilmour reiterated his desire that touring with Waters never happen, saying (paraphrasing here) that Roger has certainly become more civil, but his desire to control has not diminished in the least.

Yeah, I miss Richard Wright. What could have been.

That is probably true, but i wonder if those rumours were true instead. Well, i think it doesn't matter now, Wright is gone and all we can do is miss him and listen to his music.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Both are pushing 70, they don't have many years left, and the heartwarming reception they would get across the world would be something special to take to their death beds, its time for them to forget what happened, put the egos aside and do a real PF tour with the best songs that feature both artists from the big four recordings, maybe a couple of cuts from earlier work, no solo stuff, no PF songs after Waters, and of course Mason should be there.

Both are pushing 70, they don't have many years left, and the heartwarming reception they would get across the world would be something special to take to their death beds, its time for them to forget what happened, put the egos aside and do a real PF tour with the best songs that feature both artists from the big four recordings, maybe a couple of cuts from earlier work, no solo stuff, no PF songs after Waters, and of course Mason should be there.

To be honest, the Live8 set sounded dreadful, mainly Waters. Listen starting at 2:00 in. It might be best for all to let the glory days speak for themselves.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11UUVzlI6hI

Agree with everything but this "a real PF tour with the best songs that feature both artists from the big four recordings".

I wish they could play some more songs from anything but those 4 records, i've seen Roger Waters and the Dark side of the moon tour, his first The Wall tour, and would love to see some Atom heart mother/Meddle/A Saucerful/Obscure. Like you said, they're pushing 70, They could do a real special tour by playing songs from all eras, not just the same old, same old.

(Waiting for a comment mentioning "but that's what people want to hear", well, trust me, the shows would be sold out even if they played the Ummagumma album twice)

That happened.

This however did NOT.

It did. There was an interview with Waters soon-ish after Live 8 in, I think, Rolling Stone (which I'm failing to Google a link for) where he stated that the idea of touring again had been considered after they were offered a couple million dollars to do so, which they ultimately turned down. Waters was a little vague on the details, but Gilmour has said the same thing, with his reasoning for turning it down being that he had, at the time, a solo album coming out soon and wanted to focus on his own music. Then, of course, Rick Wright passed and the window closed. Whether or not they would have actually gone through with it at any point is probably only known by them, but at the very least, I've never read anything where any of them have suggested they wouldn't play together again in the future.

I knew the rumours were true, so yes, Bridog6996 is probably right :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oct/07/pink.floyd.keyboardist.denied.last.wish

"One of the last things he (Wright) wanted to do, in this last year, was to do a big outdoor festival, such as Glastonbury. We weren't able to do that due for all sorts of strange reasons, which, again, is a sadness."

Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis responded with sadness to Gilmour's comments. "We were obviously upset to hear him say that," she told BBC 6 Music. "I think maybe he has been misinformed by someone that it was some sort of thing about them, but it wasn't at all, it was just purely because we couldn't fit them on anywhere."

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure if there is a better or more recent thread to post this in, but it appears Waters will continue to do The Wall for the first half of 2012, including coming back to the U.S. and Canada.

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=19125&SortBy=Date&SearchBy=roger%20waters

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://www.panhistoria.com/Stacks/Novels/Character_Homes/homedirs/1827images/davesed.jpg

We shan't play together again...

Oh. Whew, when I read the thread title I thought maybe Floyd got back together but Richard Wright was being replaced by Lady Gaga or something.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think they've had their day, though I bet many people would like to see them do a gig, but without Rick Wright, it's pretty much over. I always rated Gilmour a bit more than Waters at any rate. Dark Side of the Moon is still one of the best albums ever.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Gilmour=musician

Waters=writer

Wright=decorator (and latent writer)

Gilmour without a doubt was/is the best musician in the band. But as his solo records proved, he couldnt write a song. (He fared much better when he got some writers that actually understood what it is he does, and didnt try to write PinkFloyd songs.)

Waters was never a real musician: he was the most punk of all of them, in terms of attitude and technique! But he is an ideas man. And he has a very industrial work ethic, and you cannot discount that.

Wright was a lazy writer. When he did write, it was fkng beautiful. He just really needed to do more of it. His musicianship was solid, but was amplified by his taste. More than chops, he had great ideas, and knew how to wrap a melody. Its why DarkSide still resonates today, and why Division Bell is so much better than Momentary Lapse: he was doing the work.

Its a shame well never hear these 3 guys join forces again.

Archived