Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'sweet home alabama'

metromike

Billy Powell is the man...but I'm not sure if I respect him more now for the great licks or having the great sense to use two hands! I had to teach myself the one hand method for those licks!

Ya' gotta do it with one hand when you're playing left hand bass!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that 9 out of 10 guitarist play that opening riff wrong.

Didn't you know? 9 out of 10 guitarists play everything wrong. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...and 10 out of every 9 guitarists don't realize that fact....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

...and 10 out of every 9 guitarists don't realize that fact....

Many guitarists are fully aware that they do not play many songs note-perfect, and are also aware that the crowd is just as clueless, so long as their version gets the point across. :idea:

Hell, many guitarists that write this material don't play it the same way twice.

You know "Cult of Personality", by Living Colour? Go check on Youtube, watch as many live versions of it as you can stand before you're tired of the song, and find any where Vernon Reid plays it exactly the same way twice.

Well, just to be a contrarian, I always thought that solo (SHA that is) sounded over-rehearsed and stiff. I would have liked it better if it wasn't quite so perfect and had a more improvised feel.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Well, just to be a contrarian, I always thought that solo (SHA that is) sounded over-rehearsed and stiff. I would have liked it better if it wasn't quite so perfect and had a more improvised feel.

Assemble a band with 3 guitar players, then let me know how easy it is to negotiate a minute of improv time in songs with them. :D

Assemble a band with 3 guitar players, then let me know how easy it is to negotiate a minute of improv time in songs with them. :D

Point taken.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

To be honest, I wouldn't even worry about that riff (the one at the end of the tune). You'll survive if you don't play it.

Bobby - I was trying to outline 3 of the second 4 bars of the solo :D

I know! I'm talking about in the context of the OP, who has a zillion tunes to learn yet isn't much of a player and feels overwhelmed. Don't worry about learning the solo, you've got bigger fish to fry. That's what I was saying.

Good point :thu:

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Billy Powell is the man...but I'm not sure if I respect him more now for the great licks or having the great sense to use two hands! I had to teach myself the one hand method for those licks!

Ya' gotta do it with one hand when you're playing left hand bass!

Yeah - real men use one hand ...err :whistle:

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Holy replies Batman!!! :) thanks for all the encouragement and solid advice! So glad to of found this place....I am very 'green' compared to all of you, but the advice is clear and mostly understanable....thanks again. Now, back to practice!!!
Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

Yeah, like Layla.... :bor:;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

@griff- huge living colour fanboy here.. :wave:

Shame you're up in Detroit. The only reason I'm so intimately familiar with Vern's tendencies live is because we're doing that song in our regular rotation. That's my big "cock rock" moment in our show, the only time I really act the part of the bloated-ego guitarist. :D

@griff- huge living colour fanboy here.. :wave:

Shame you're up in Detroit. The only reason I'm so intimately familiar with Vern's tendencies live is because we're doing that song in our regular rotation. That's my big "cock rock" moment in our show, the only time I really act the part of the bloated-ego guitarist. :D

Great band back in the day. I need to road trip your way to catch your

gig! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Why are people linking YouTube "tutorials" that are wrong (especially the guy using thumbs on the accidentals... what's up with that? :freak:).

Watch the man himself do it, at 4:08 of this video:

[video:youtube]

awesome stuff!!!

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

You know "Cult of Personality", by Living Colour? Go check on Youtube, watch as many live versions of it as you can stand before you're tired of the song, and find any where Vernon Reid plays it exactly the same way twice.

I was tired of the song the first time I heard it.

Pointless post. If you dont like a tune pass on it. Imo.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I saw Living Colour a few times for free in college. One time, a friend and I were so early we walked in on their sound check. Corey Glover in a beat up old sweatshirt repeating, "mind the gap," emphasizing the gaps, I guess.

It was my first experience up front at a show and my ears rang for days afterward, the one that was next to the PA longer than the other one (I sometimes wonder how much of that led to my tinnitus 20 years later).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Particularly when the tune was only brought up to raise a point about musicians, not on its own merits. :rolleyes:

Some people can't help but post-whore stupid comments.

Particularly when the tune was only brought up to raise a point about musicians, not on its own merits. :rolleyes:

Some people can't help but post-whore stupid comments.

Why don't you review this thread and count the number of posters who's posts were nothing more than how much they hate sweet home alabama?

Why don't you review this thread and count the number of posters who's posts were nothing more than how much they hate sweet home alabama?

Considering that most of those posts were also followed (by same posters) by sound advice regarding the song, I'd say your counterpoint doesn't really apply here.

Furthermore, the OP's question was pretty well answered in the first couple posts. Once a question is answered, the rest of the thread is fair game, based on my experience in this forum, limited though it may be... ;)

I was both relieved and somewhat disappointed when I realized that Billy Powell played essentially the same solo every time on various songs. For example, he has a good solo on Call Me The Breeze on their 1976 live LP (One More From the Road). The CD re-release includes another instance of that song from another night, and the solo is identical. Until I heard that a few years ago I thought he'd just improvised a killer solo.

That being said, I really admired the late Billy Powell's playing, and I wish I were good enough to do justice to his solos.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

It's in D, the first chord. Just think of the "Ooo Ooo Ooo" part after the lyric "In Birmingham they love the gov'ner." They throw in two extra chords that resolve perfectly to the D.

:facepalm: (I'm actually not sure what this facepalm thingy means, but I see it a lot when people disagree).

Sorry to disagree Jim, but I believe it's a 5/4/1 progression in G ( not 1/7b/4 in D). Although Billy played his solo across all the changes (all 3 of them), the (perhaps less versatile) guitar players (and writers) all soloed in G.

I know we've all heard the story of the arguments between Al and the band members, but I have to go with Ed & Gary.

I'd offer to investigate further, (I know both of them fairly well), but I've always had the impression they are sick of this question. :laugh:

Bit of trivia: I'll bet no one here knows that I was on "that tour" with the opening act (LeBlanc and Carr). Did one show and then the plane went down.

Still, I have to count myself with the folks who never cared for this song. I met Billy a time or two years later and thought he was a fine player, but I also thought the record solo sounded rehearsed (or punched), and it seemed like he felt bound to recreate it night after night.

Watch the man himself do it, at 4:08 of this video:

Funny... they change the last chord.

To my ears, the song is mostly in D, the piano solo kind of straddles the line, and finally the guitar solo is in G and the 3-chord ending knocks you over the head with it in case you weren't sure. It may have been in D at the start, but it's in G by the end. It may not be prog rock, but it's a cool trick.

Many guitarists are fully aware that they do not play many songs note-perfect,

and are also aware that the crowd is just as clueless.....

Say no more ! ! !..... :D

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I think the key to making any overdone bar song enjoyable to play is to play it extremely well. A lot of tunes like SHA, Mustang Sally, Old Time Rock'n Roll, Born to be Wild, etc., etc. get learned on the fly ('cause they're easy to fake) and never get tweaked. The little details in SHA- the guitar work, piano solo, punches / accents, dynamics, and most importantly TEMPO, make it a pretty cool tune, but I've never heard anyone besides Skynard play the song well. YMMV

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I like the song but only when it is played right. It sounds totally wrong when the tempo is too fast (it is NOT bluegrass!) ... Last year we covered that song and unfortunately had a drummer whose tempo kept speeding up. And up. And up. By the time the piano solo came around it was shred metal tempo and I couldn't play it.

This song is played too fast *a lot*.

I like the song but only when it is played right. It sounds totally wrong when the tempo is too fast (it is NOT bluegrass!) ... Last year we covered that song and unfortunately had a drummer whose tempo kept speeding up. And up. And up. By the time the piano solo came around it was shred metal tempo and I couldn't play it.

This song is played too fast *a lot*.

Drummerz :facepalm:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived