Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

norvegian stack

fjzingo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... what did they do about the sustain pedal?

You put it right next to the organ's sustain pedal. :)

This (or its Hammond/Rhodes functional equivalent) was a pretty common rig in the early 70s. Put a Mini or an Odyssey on top of the piano like Billy's doing in the YouTube and you were good to go.

Larry.

When I was in high school, I had a '59 C3, with a Wurly 200A on top, and a MicroMoog on top of that. I made a custom "stand" that fit to the countours of the Wurlitzer and positioned the MicroMoog at just the right angle. It was so coooool...

Do I miss it? Nope. If I had to haul that stuff again, I would never play out.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Cool vibe with the Wurli atop B3 combo. The KB player in the OP video could have used a Nord Stage 88 and hit a button to toggle between the two sounds. :laugh:

Again, I have to do a European excursion. I dig the appreciation folks abroad seem to have for funky soul music. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Exactly. One doesn't necessarily need a sustain pedal. I'd say on a typical night I might use the sustain pedal 3-5% of the time. In a rock setting, I'd use it less than that.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

speaking of extending a Wurly expression pedal.... I used to put my Wurly on an X Stand, to make it the height of the Hammond. When I did that, I made a little extender, from a threaded rod, a Hex adapter nut (about 3 inches long) and two pieces of PVC (that screw together) that provided a shelf for the original bicycle brake-like contraption to rest against. All parts from the local Ace Hardware! It allows for the precise length setting too regardless of height of the Wurly from the ground. Cheap solution too (all of $5, I think).
Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Exactly. One doesn't necessarily need a sustain pedal.

That my friend is a stylistic opinion. I don't use it a ton, but I wouldn't show up to a gig without it... at least not with the type of music I play with Ms. DeVoe.

Incidentally, to temporarily hijack the thread... we're gonna be sharing the stage at the Space in June. I could bring the Wurly if you bring the Hammond... but no, we won't be stacking them! :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Exactly. The "Can't Find A Reason" clip shows even better the "stacked Wurlitzer with no sustain pedal" setup. At one point in the video you can see Vince holding a chord while adjusting the piano with the same (right) hand. Organ players know the technique well:

[video:youtube]

Larry.

I've definitely noticed that the more I play organ, the less I use the sustain pedal on piano and EP. I could probably do a gig with a Rhodes or a Wurly without one, and not miss it too much.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Incidentally, to temporarily hijack the thread... we're gonna be sharing the stage at the Space in June. I could bring the Wurly if you bring the Hammond... but no, we won't be stacking them! :laugh:
Yeah, we'll have to put our heads together for the ultimate rig for that gig :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've seen that guy play over here and I think he is pretty talented. He was doing a crossover fusion/prog concept kind of gig with Alex Acuna of all people... hard to describe... not entirely my cup of tea but these Norwegian people are always trying to do something different and I really admire them for it... :)

Another cool video from the smae guy with cool loop pedal techniques..

[video:youtube]

Haha.. that club is literally around the corner from where I live... I saw the great ECM bassist Arild Andersen there a few weeks ago.... nice meal first, a few beers then head into the concert room... just beautiful atmosphere...

Archived