Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

build a keytar

Cadama

I had a yamaha mm6 laying around and decided to make it wearable for some of my gigs. The keyboard is very lightweight So..

1. Go to music store and purchase guitar strap locks.

2. Screw them into the case and epoxy so then don't come out.

3. Go to radio shack and purchase a 8 AA battery holder and power connector. Solder and heatshrink on the end.

4. Get a wireless instrument system such as a shure or line 6.

5. Get a decent guitar strap.

7. Use velcro to strap the batteries and wireless to the strap

8. Go out amongst the crowd! They love it.

Total cost for battery pack and cable. $3.50 Cost of a used Shure wireless. 200.00

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Total cost for battery pack and cable. $3.50 Cost of a used Shure wireless. 200.00
Damage to your reputation among fellow keyboard players. Priceless.

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Pointing & laughing does NOT equal love. :snax:

Unless you're a comedian, of course! :laugh:

I dunno, Jan Hammer and George Duke never had much trouble getting respect playing one...Maybe it's about what you're playing on it. :idea:

><>

Steve

Pointing & laughing does NOT equal love. :snax:

Unless you're a comedian, of course! :laugh:

I dunno, Jan Hammer and George Duke never had much trouble getting respect playing one...Maybe it's about what you're playing on it. :idea:

Nor did Johnny Winter, Patrick Moraz, Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman...

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Ok, I'll admit it. I had this sudden urge to play keytar the other day. I'm like "oh man, this is my next frontier!"

It felt really strange. If you know better than I do and think I should burn keytars instead, please, let me know.

This is an interesting idea though. Perhaps I'll destroy an old Casio or something and turn it into a keytar. :P That would be cool.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I've been threatening to build a keytar on this forum for probably a couple years. But procrastination, you know. Then DB puts his AX-7 up for sale and... voila! Problem solved, no assembly necessary, except maybe to add wireless MIDI. BTW, if memory serves there are 2 major brands of wirelss MIDI that have been discussed with various opinions...not to hijack, maybe I should start a new thread, but for those of you using them....recommendations? We have lots of wireless going on already - 4 IEM's, guitar, bass, sax...worried about interference.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have been using the CME WIDI X8 for a number of years and they work GREAT! About $200 for the pair. Very good battery life, no latency and good distance.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

BTW, if memory serves there are 2 major brands of wirelss MIDI that have been discussed with various opinions...not to hijack, maybe I should start a new thread, but for those of you using them....recommendations? We have lots of wireless going on already - 4 IEM's, guitar, bass, sax...worried about interference.

There are 3 currently available units (edit: that I'm aware of), actually.

1) The M-Audio is poor (got dropouts at 50 feet in a club)

2) The CME WIDI X8 is good, but an awkward form factor (bigger unit on the belt/strap than the M-Audio)

3) The MidiJet Pro is the best, and as you'd expect, the most expensive.

Thanks! The M Audio was the one I had seen, but thought I had heard some bad reviews. I'll check out the other 2.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The M-audio is indeed weak but it tucks away nicely into the strap of the lowly SHS-10. Both pure cheese, a match for sure

(the coily midi cable from the m-audio transmitter is even the right length to reach midi out on the SHS), and all on 8 AA batteries. Total investment is about $60 including batteries(I lucked up on the "red violin" for $20 at a pawn shop).

Big fun, but I dunno if I'd entertain building a serious one since it would probably take a good chunk of time and money.

That along with my not being able to take ANY keytar (read idiophone) seriously leaves me quite satisfied with my Mattel.

I bought a M-Audio MidAir keyboard when they were discontinued. Only 80 bucks! I can see why it was discontinued... lots of dropped notes, stuck notes. But it is a lot of fun. It would be a good candidate for a keytar project.

Still haven't heard back from the OP - about hanging a huge keyboard around his neck...

Maybe that's exactly what he did ...and we won't be hearing from him anymore :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Still haven't heard back from the OP - about hanging a huge keyboard around his neck...

http://monsterfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Brett-Domino-Keytar.png

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I had a yamaha mm6 laying around and decided to make it wearable for some of my gigs...

Go out amongst the crowd! They love it.

Do you wear a hat, & over-sized trousers aswell ?

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Maybe that's exactly what he did ...and we won't be hearing from him anymore :D

LMAO -

:D

:D

..... and thrice, :D !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Perhaps, but ask 100 people on the street who either of those gentlemen are and you'll get 96 blank stares, 3 "Miami Vice theme" responses, and 1 guy rambling about how cool George was with Frank Zappa. ;)

He meant Edgar Winter, and I'm betting most of us understood that.

+1 :thu:

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a photo snap while playing open mic. I played an accordion that was 10 times the weight when I was 5. This thing weighs nada.. I'm building a handle with a volume and sustain on the grip that looks sorta like a Klingon Batleth (link for those who don't know)

With the wireless and the battery pack, it works ok for small venues. Someone said this was big?? My other keys are 76 and 88 key beasts. Sometimes I get the want to go play open jam and keep this in my trunk.

Hey, the poor MM6 was laying around gathering dust, so it got a 2nd life. It does have the basic Motif sounds. Playing paying gigs 3-4 times a week, I get tired of hauling the gear. This allows me to have my last minute jam fix at a last minute.

For the Doubters... I like moving around and been interactive with my female vocalist while playing. It works the audience on the larger venues.

http://www.empirescuba.com/downloads/mm6-keytar.jpg

Archived