Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Gerry Rafferty

orangefunk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, we played that tune in one of my bands in the old days. I still do Stuck in the middle with you. I never followed his personal life, so I didn't know about his troubles with the bottle. Its really too bad, I'm sorry to hear the news.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow I love Baker Street. I am immediately transported to the '70s, riding in the back seat of my parents' Vista Cruiser listening to this when it was Top 40. RIP Gerry.

Same here (Pontiac Wagon). Shit, that's a good tune.

Yep, a big loss of a great underrated talent.

Mick Karn, fretless bassist for Japan and later a film composer, died yesterday as well, after a long bout with cancer. One of my favourite bass players ever.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow...takes me back. In summer of 1978 I was filling in with a club band and since we all knew I would only be with the group for three months max, I didn't get to do any front work; with one exception..."Baker Street." My big number night after night. That tune still brings a smile. RIP Gerry.

Mick Karn, fretless bassist for Japan and later a film composer, died yesterday as well, after a long bout with cancer. One of my favourite bass players ever.

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this! :(

I worked with Mick briefly on a project back in the '90s. He seemed like a nice guy.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Hot summer night, driving around in my Cutlass Supreme, Jovan Musk Oil, high school girlfriend Valerie sitting next to me, Baker Street on the radio. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Rafferty. RIP.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Great songwriter - check out Don't Speak of my Heart if you don't already know it - and a talented producer to boot. RIP, Gerry.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

When I was a kid in the 70's, my mom only had an AM radio in her land yacht '71 Buick Centurion. So, I sorta got "stuck" listening to AM stations. There was a local top 40 station where songs like "Baker Street" and "Right Down The Line" were on heavy rotation at the time. "Right Down The Line" is actually favorite from Rafferty.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Sad news.

"Baker Street" has always been a favorite song of mine. Very haunting instrumental hook. Sets a mood, for me, a bit like Supertramp's "Take The Long Way Home". "Get It Right Next Time" sticks strongly with me as well. I recall reading an article - back in the mid 80's - referring to Gerry Rafferty's battles with alcohol, and his statement - at least at the time - of making a commitment to sobriety, a new found faith, etc..

I enjoy it greatly when I hear any of Gerry Rafferty's songs on the radio. The guy was a great writer, smooth vocalist, and had a certain touch as a producer. I think of what other gems might have come from him - had he not succumbed to illness, and eventually died rather young. :(

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I hear a certain shyness and humility in his vocals. People like that sometimes need that certain something to take the edge off or to build confidence, whatever.....

I wasn't a huge fan but his tunes still get played everywhere. Of course I have heard them many times. It's rather amazing actually. A lot of people related to that guy.

another big baker street fan.

the lyrics and the use of half rhyme to set the alienation is just so well done...and the sax....I dont even LIKE sax in general, but it is haunting in that song...

RIP.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Yeh - Baker Street was one of those 'anthems' of my youth...

but although his most popular song, he did tons of other good stuff too.

A sad end (I wasn't aware of the depth of his problems) to a talanted man.

R.I.P. Gerry.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

While most rock fans say they bought cool albums as their first- like Deep Purple Machine Head or Burn or Kiss Alive, or a Beatles album- mine was City to City. This was somewhere around 1980. Baker Street was of course a favorite before I bought the album. I was not surprised at the news, every time I had googled Gerry the past few years the stories just kept getting sadder and sadder.

Baker Street has been stuck in my mind non-stop since news of Gerry's death.

If I'm not mistaken, this song remains unique in actually being DEFINED by its horn riff/solo.

I always wanted to cover this song but could never talk anyone into it (I would have switched to sax, of course!).

Rafferty is one of those people that I always wondered "whatever happened to...", but I was surprised by his death.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived