Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 4'33 in the UK charts!

marino

This one is too good to be kept under 'silence'! (pun intended...)

They're pushing a single, recorded by a group of stars like Orbital, Imogen Heap and others, on the top of the British charts. The "song" is John Cage's 4'33!

I think it's a fantastic surreal idea. Hats off to the Brits for having thought of it!

Link to article.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! :thu:

Back in the day of the 45, the flip side would have been a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "Sound Of Silence."

If the single sells more than 500,000 units, the headline should be "Silence is Golden."

Okay, that's all I've got.

I'll be here all week! :wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The original is in mono. Anything else would ruin it. Some people think it's Cage's best composition. ;-)

There was a band who recorded a different version but didn't pay Cage royalties. They mentioned Cage as an inspiration on their liner notes. Cage sued and won. The judge said that if they hadn't mentioned him, there would have been no way to prove his influence.

What? Paul Oakenfeld is remixing Cage's ultimate minimalist comment for the Wicked musical? :-) Which witch gets this as her motif?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I had the bizarre pleasure of actually talking, completely by accident, to John Cage on the phone once. This is pretty much a 'nothing story' but years ago, I called a musician I knew in NY who had some unique friends, Paul Bley was one, and Cage.

Cage answered the phone and told me my friend had stepped out for a minute to go to the store. He said "This is John Cage" and started talking, so naturally I let him. It was pretty off the wall for about 15 minutes until my friend got back - more of a monologue than a conversation... the phone conversation equivalent of 4'33" on my part, except it was more like 15'. The entire topic was bird watching which he was totally into, and I had no experience in. When I said he should get a t-shirt that says "Birds Live", he paused for a second like he was computing it - maybe he smiled, I couldn't tell.

I had the bizarre pleasure of actually talking, completely by accident, to John Cage on the phone once. This is pretty much a 'nothing story'

I met Cage, late 80s. I was playing in the pit for the Merce Cunningham Dance Company, they were partners (I didn't know that at the time). I saw Cage backstage and had a meaningful conversation with him:

Me: Hi

Cage: Hi

:laugh:

Archived