Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Uncomfortably Numb

gryphon

Who knows maybe they weren't being paid and it was a freebie jam. The way the singer was looking around with that WTH look my guess is that it isn't even a band. Good for them for giving it a go. We all do according to our own talents.

Sorry to disagree, but they didn't try and they didn't care. Bad for them for giving it a go, freebie or not. They could have done 6 zillion times better. The body language speaks volumes, they simply didn't care. What's the point of playing out if you're gonna have their attitude?

In my book, a free gig or a great-paying gig should sound pretty much the same. It's music. You honor the music, you try, you prepare. It's a benefit, your gift as a performer is the gift of music. They gave very little. Even the slightest bit of rudimentary work in a rehearsal would have made it passable, and they didn't care enough about their art to do that. The skill is there in a roundabout way, the desire was not.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all do according to our own talents.

(To quote Spinal Tap): "I'm just as God made me sir."

However, thats no excuse or rationale. To make it clearer:

I like to drive fastmaybe Ill go hit the racetrack this weekend, or find out where the kids like to drag race.

Hey, boxing looks fun, maybe Ill go a few rounds tonite at the gym with some fighters.

I want a few more outlets down in the basement; Ill just go plug some wires into my fusebox and..

Yeah, maybe knowing SOMETHING about what youre doing is in order before you put yourself in a position where you can hurt yourself, or worse, someone else. And music is no different. I just find it hard to believe that you could have found a more immense lack of ability in one group if you tried. Thank your deity that they bailed on the dramatic solo at the endthat would have been more unbearabler.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Who knows maybe they weren't being paid and it was a freebie jam. The way the singer was looking around with that WTH look my guess is that it isn't even a band. Good for them for giving it a go. We all do according to our own talents.

Sorry to disagree, but they didn't try and they didn't care. Bad for them for giving it a go, freebie or not. They could have done 6 zillion times better. The body language speaks volumes, they simply didn't care. What's the point of playing out if you're gonna have their attitude?

In my book, a free gig or a great-paying gig should sound pretty much the same. It's music. You honor the music, you try, you prepare. It's a benefit, your gift as a performer is the gift of music. They gave very little. Even the slightest bit of rudimentary work in a rehearsal would have made it passable, and they didn't care enough about their art to do that. The skill is there in a roundabout way, the desire was not.

I doubt there was a rehearsal. My gut hunch is there was something going on at a music store and they had a jam but no band and some customers who do not play together tried to play a song.

When I was full-time musician I worked and taught at a music store when I was in town. That is when I learned that it is guys like the ones in the original clip that keep music stores open for business. Pro and even semi-pro/weekend warriors do not buy that much stuff because they 1) latch on to equipment they like and stick with it. and 2) have to show some sort of profit.

The less than stellar players make the music business go around.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Whether or not these guys gave it their "best" effort (it doesn't appear that they did, and if they did, that's even sadder in a way), isn't the problem here.

Some things just shouldn't be videotaped and put on the internet, where it remains forever.

Here's an example of what I mean and why.

A few months ago, I was part of the "host" band at a jam session. The players in the house group are all really hot players so the band cooks. At one point, a somewhat "lesser" experienced group was on stage (and as the only keyboard player in the house, I played with them).

The one of the guitarists (there were two) started noodling around with Love Rollercoaster and the drummer dropped in and so did the bassist. It seemed like they were going with it so the rest of us also dropped in. No one was singing it and another drummer we know, grabbed a mic and started singing.

The entire two minutes was god awful and finally it died a somewhat unnatural death when the drummer stopped playing.

Here's my point. Some dude had video going and recorded it, and posted it on Facebook the following day, tagging all of us who were on stage.

Low and behold, this crap shows up on my page and before you can say "WTF", I was getting asked by peeps "what the hell were you thinking"? I simply responded it was some riffing at a jam gone horribly wrong (as those things happen at jam sessions occasionally).

I wrote to the guy who recorded and posted it and asked him politely if he could please remove that video, as it really didn't represent the jam in a very positive light and wasn't the best effort of the evening. He agreed and it was gone, but it was sickening to see and hear.

Clearly, not everything was made to be recorded for posterity. The "uncomfortably numb" just might be such an example.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Oh man! You have my sympathies. Facebook is evil sometimes.

I am glad I don't do public jam sessions. When I have the night off I take the night off.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No arguing with that; had Britney known, Im SURE she would have worn panties.

If someone agrees to climb on a stage, there is an unspoken (and misguided) assumption of some semblance of ability. To find such a dearth of same is pretty spectacular.

In closing I would like to say that given the opportunity, most people WILL photograph/videotape an accident scene, especially when that accident is predicated by two numbskulls standing on the roof of their house ready to jump off that roof onto a folding table, with one piledriving the other. Its human nature.

Same thing.

[video:youtube]

I doubt there was a rehearsal. My gut hunch is there was something going on at a music store and they had a jam but no band and some customers who do not play together tried to play a song.

There's a stage. SOmebody made an effort to put it there. Likewise, someone made the effort to put all that gear on it.

You're correct in that we don't know details. I can only take an educated guess: I've never heard of a benefit with a "jam session".

I can only speak for myself: I would still try. I think others around here would too. If I was the bass player I would have been in that drummers face, trying desperately to keep some time. I didn't see any concern, regret, remorse :laugh:, I saw individuals making no concerted effort to communicate with each other.

The skill level is irrelevant. If they were kids at least trying, I would applaud them. In fact I would applaud anybody trying. I give them two thumbs down not because of their musicianship, but because nobody tried and it showed.

My guess, looking at the way the guitarists are inspecting their fingerboards before switching each change is that they're all basically total beginners.

Monday night I was in the host band for an open stage at a local jazz club. No bass player, so I was playing organ, kicking bass. I have to say, there were a few moments that were eerily similar to that vid.... :freak:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

My guess, looking at the way the guitarists are inspecting their fingerboards before switching each change is that they're all basically total beginners.

If it's so then I'll be a lil less harsh on them.

What about me? :laugh:

I love how they are playing in front of a brick wall both to reinforce the thematic material and establish the fact that they are a classic "brick wall" band. And agreed the "Music" above them is exquisite irony.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Wow, when there is something really bad count on everyone chimming in, thats great, thats the American way.

Joe, I agree with ya man an everyone else before, a keyboard would have at least kept the song moving hopefully, but the looks on the singers face! Never ever heard it played so badly. Should have picked the beat up a bit, I would have, make the song comfortable for all.

I shared that with tonysounds last night on facebook. I fear I might have alienated him....

Somehow - between Kanker, tonysounds, and me - my response to the video ended up on another thread. Here's a re-post:

---------------------------

[ Originally posted by tonysounds: Hey Allen, that music store isn't the one in Boulder is it?]

No.... But the performance is eerily reminiscent of a few I've seen, and one that I experienced. One time in Cheyenne, the three 'front line' band members (lead guitar/vocal, acoustic guitar/vocal, and lead singer) were all about as bad; they were drunk as skunks. Meanwhile, the drummer, bassist and I were locked in to the groove. Try to imagine a video of that combination.... I wanted to crawl under the stage and hide. :facepalm:

The drummer left the band within a week, and I followed shortly thereafter. We were both recent transplants to the west, and this had been one of the first bands with which we played. :sick:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Pro and even semi-pro/weekend warriors do not buy that much stuff because they 1) latch on to equipment they like and stick with it. and 2) have to show some sort of profit.

3) Beginners believe that getting a better guitar/amp/pedal/etc will make them better players. Pros wish that to be true, but know that it isn't.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Til Ian gets around to it, somebody grabbed this at a fest my Floyd band did a couple summers ago and posted it on youtube (he must be a guitarist, cuz he didn't put the keyboard solo or anything else on there!).

I like it... especially with the Rhodes... Good vocals too....

This is what cover bands should do... Cover the signature parts, but mix it up a bit to make it unique.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I play a little guitar and I read the Telecaster forum. Someone asked the question Can you play Comfortably Numb on a Tele and someone posted the clip below. Then we found out guitarist from the cover band was a forum member and showed up in the thread. The world can be a small place.

I have been an admirer of these guys for a while. Best cover band I've ever seen on youtube. If you like these guys, you have to go check out their Led Zeppelin, Doors and Joe Cocker covers. These guys just absolutely CRUSH anything they try. You can just search for Gruhak on youtube.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

I agree! Only proves that musicianship trumps technology.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Til Ian gets around to it, somebody grabbed this at a fest my Floyd band did a couple summers ago and posted it on youtube (he must be a guitarist, cuz he didn't put the keyboard solo or anything else on there!).

Mmmmm- Home Run Inn Pizza

Oh, and the band's killin too.... :laugh:

Archived