Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Connecting 2 leslies

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even when chaining 2 like model leslies something to keep in mind is that the organ may not handle power requirements from multiple leslies you would want to use a power relay to handle the second leslie.

Disclaimer: I am not an organ mechanic.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To amplify:

Pins 1 and 6 carry signal on both, and pins 3 and 4 carry AC power to the leslie amp.

Pins 2 and 5 carry AC power to switch the relay on a 147, but the 122 uses a DC voltage piggybacked onto the signal to switch its relay.

So you have AC power on the loose if you mix and match connections. You haven't said if you are hooking these up to a tonewheel hammond or something else.

Moe

---

Yes but I am not exactly sure of all the requirements. Someone will have to install a connector kit in the C3 for the 147. I would color code the cables and the connections on the both the organ and speakers and pray no one accidentally reverses the cables.

What I don't know is if you would need some sort of power relay for the second cabinet or if the organ can handle powering on both cabinets. Either way I would have a Hammond tech do the install unless you are familiar with installing connector kits and are comfortable working with high voltage .

No. That would let the smoke out.

Larry

And everyone knows that all electronics have smoke in them, and when you let that smoke out, it stops working. Then you have to call a technician to come and put the smoke back in so it works again.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'd get one of those chrome Leslie pre-amp pedal for the 147. Connect the 122 like normal,then wire the speed switch together. The pre-amp pedal will power the 147 keeping the 110 away from each other. I run a 31H and a 147 simultaneously to my C-2 console

Yes it's really hard to get the smoke back in. :)

I recently had a tech connect my 122 to my A100 along with my 251 (which I believe is in the 147 family). He used a separate connector kit for the 122. Both Leslies are controlled by the same half-moon switch.

I was about to recommend that you don't do it, because it is so incredibly awesome that nothing else will ever sound good again. But then I looked at your gear sig and I figured you were probably used to that by now :D So good. Lord have mercy.

It hadn't even occurred to me that I might confuse the cables-- I'd better do some labeling!

My 1958 B3 has connections for two 122s, a 147, and a Hammond tone cabinet. You can wire up both, but they need separate kits (6122 for the 122, 6147 for the 147) and you'll have to get a different switch in order to switch them together.

A good tech should be able to do it for you. Gotta be someone in the Philly area.

Yes, just put a 147 kit in your organ. If you already have a half moon installed, it has a 2nd set of contacts that can be wired up for the other kit.

I would avoid putting one of those leslie preamp stomp boxes between a real tonewheel hammond and real leslies.

They absolutely kill the tone.

Also, one console hammond should have no difficulties supplying power for 2 leslies. Just make sure all the zip wire carrying power is at least 14 gauge and uncracked.

Moe

---

I did manage to pop a circuit breaker today when one of my piano students was playing the Hammond with both Leslies, and I tried to print a chart with my laser printer on the same circuit. oops.

Are y'all talking about those solid-state Trek II preamps? No thanks. Not that I'm some seasoned expert, but... no.

Aren't those 2 Leslies incompatible ? One would need to be converted to the other's spec otherwise BOOM.

My advice would be to convert the 147 to 122 spec as it's more commonly used.

I have two 145s which sound great together. You'll love it once you get it sorted.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

While a halfmoon has two sets of contacts, due to the cramped space inside I recommend that you use the halfmoon to switch a relay and use the contact sets on the relay to switch the two different Leslie connections. You don't want the 120VAC lines to accidentally contact the DC switching for the 122 connection. Also, audio for the 147 socket will need to come directly from one of the G terminals on the preamp, *not* the other Leslie socket as the 147 amplifier will not like having the DC from the Leslie 122 control box appearing at its input.

Also for safety's sake it's best that the organ have a 5-pin for the 122 and a 6-pin for the 147 to minimize the chance of plugging the wrong plug into the wrong socket.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I want to connect a Leslie 122 with an old 147. Both are 6 pin. Can I just use a "Y" jack?

I can get you a tech near you in Lambertville. PM me.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

While a halfmoon has two sets of contacts, due to the cramped space inside I recommend that you use the halfmoon to switch a relay and use the contact sets on the relay to switch the two different Leslie connections. You don't want the 120VAC lines to accidentally contact the DC switching for the 122 connection. Also, audio for the 147 socket will need to come directly from one of the G terminals on the preamp, *not* the other Leslie socket as the 147 amplifier will not like having the DC from the Leslie 122 control box appearing at its input.

Also for safety's sake it's best that the organ have a 5-pin for the 122 and a 6-pin for the 147 to minimize the chance of plugging the wrong plug into the wrong socket.

This is a very good idea and will get rid of the nasty shock you'll get if you're touching anything metal on the B3 and put your lips on a microphone. ZAP! Happened to me too many times with my B3 due to the ungrounded 120AC running through the Leslie switch. Yowza!

Yep ... sound men don't always like it but I always covered my vocal mic with one of those foam thingies. Getting zapped feels like getting punched right in the mouth.

Another fun source of AC that can zap you when you touch your lips to the mic is when the earlier silver power transformer leaks AC to the organ's chassis. The silver transformers were wax-potted, which can attract moisture over time and allows AC to leak from the windings. The later black transformers were potted with varnish and are better in this regard. My B-2 is really bad about that.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Should be no problem with the correct connections. My 1959 B3 has a 147 and 122 hooked up to it. I also had my tech do this to another organ that I recently sold.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is a very good idea and will get rid of the nasty shock you'll get if you're touching anything metal on the B3 and put your lips on a microphone. ZAP! Happened to me too many times with my B3 due to the ungrounded 120AC running through the Leslie switch. Yowza!

I hated it when that would happen to me when I was hauling a B around. I had a habit of resting my left hand on the metal trim on the front of the lower manual, would go to sing, and then the white light would flash lol.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/9/6/429096.jpg

A little shock would keep me awake when 4am would roll around and we would just be starting our final set.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 1 year later...

Hi guys- I have a similar but hopefully simpler question. I want to connect a second Leslie 122 to my B3. The original 122 is hooked up to the 6122 kit connector in the B3. I was thinking I can just connect the second 122 to the 5 pin connector down by the ac power cord near the swell pedal with a 5 pin to 6 pin adapter.

I also see that some sell an adapter kit with a pigtail and thru connectors KIT

What is the advantage of this? (Plugging in power for the second Leslie separately?). It's pricey unless it really is providing some advantage.

Thanks

Archived