Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite vintage keyboard that you still use regularly.

Bill H.

This was kind of inspired by the "Favorite keyboards you never use" thread.

Mine would be my Yamaha CP-80. It's permanently set up in an area just off the living room, and I play it several times a week. It's my main piano. I have no acoustic grand, nor have I ever felt a need for one.

It's a nostalgic thing mostly - kind of like a guitar player who won't part with his faithful old axe.

Any of you got something like that?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is a D-50 consider Vintage yet?

Baldwin piano and Hammond Organ if you consider what I play at home. The oldest thing I use out though is a late 80's D-50.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Duh. B-3.

No nostalgia there though - I consider organ to be my main axe.

I actually considered inserting the phrase "other than a B3" but then figured that there would only be a handful of responses. :D

Pratically all my rig is "vintage" by now. :D

My main axe is the K2600, which is debatable as vintage - but I also use the Matrix-12, TG77, Wavestation, and SE-1 (Mini clone) just about every time I have to do serious synth work.

Pratically all my rig is "vintage" by now. :D

Mine too. However, it continues to bring me great pleasure. :cool:

(Are we still talking about keyboardz?) :blush:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Here's the other "duh" answer. My Rhodes Mark 1 has seen a lot of gigs this summer, and more on the way.

I really love playing it. The biggest challenge is not carrying it, but rather maintaining it! I'm always replacing a tine, or tracking down a hum.

I've got it sounding pretty sweet in an otherwise modern rig. I put it through a Twin Tube Classic pedal, into my mixer, to FOH, along with an Electro3 and a Microkorg. All monitored with a k10.

I would play the Juno 106 out before I would plays these new Juno keyboards,

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I agree CEB. Not the same animal at all. I use my Juno in studio only because I don't want anything to happen to it, and so far I have been able to create a satisfactory live keyboard-patch experience with the other boards I gig out with. But the Juno just has some sounds that are yummy when recorded. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Juno 106 here as well, and a JX10, though I don't use them much. They are in my basement, and I play around with them from time to time. Had them both for almost 25 years now!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Before I answer the question, I need to understand it. At what point does a keyboard become "vintage?" 5 years old? 10? 15? More?

With the advances in technology, something might be able to become "vintage" fairly rapidly.

It's just informal, so that can be up to the discretion of the responder. Certainly anything over 20 years old though.

Before I answer the question, I need to understand it. At what point does a keyboard become "vintage?" 5 years old? 10? 15? More?

With the advances in technology, something might be able to become "vintage" fairly rapidly.

There is a difference between vintage and plain old.

Some gear is 100% vintage - tonewheel Hammonds, analog synths.

Other is a matter of personal preference - is the Korg M1 vintage? Probably yes. Some will think different.

I don't own any vintage stuff, never did (I'm younger than most vintage keys), but would love to get some vintage gear once it's justified (like playing with a big-name band with a lot of Hammond sound)

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

My Minimoog Model D just got thoroughly reconditioned, new key bushings, and a lot of little repairs, by Larry Church in Portland. I take it to gigs with my experimental fusion band about once a month or so, local shows where it can be babied. It's also always set up in my studio. It's absolutely my favorite synth of all time, I wanted one for about 25 years before I was able to get it. It just can't sound bad, out of tune maybe, but never bad! I paid $1200 for it about 10 years ago, and it's been worth every penny.

Also, I keep my Rhodes stage set up in my studio all the time, and practice on it quite a lot, more than I actually practice my piano lately. I gig with a laptop running the Scarbee samples, but if it was feasible, I'd take my Rhodes instead. I got this Rhodes for free from a friend for helping him move, it had belonged to a community college previously, and I expected it to be thrashed, but it actually plays really well, one of the nicest Rhodes I've played.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My Korg DW8000. Still works as new. I use it in another band I sit in with now and then.

While not a keyboard, my circa 1987 Ultimate Support AX stand. In use at every gig for 23 years :) (same year I bought my DW)

Yeah, I still use my Invisible Stand I bought back in 1985. Still have my DW8000 I bought about the same time too! Don't gig with it though...

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Aside from regularly playing the B3 & C3, I also use my Rhodes 73 Mark I Stage piano in the studio and the Minimoog Model D and Korg MS10, although I almost never gig with any of the except the B3.
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

"Vintage" to me implies some universally acknowledged desirability, along with a sound that is still good and unique today.

So, M1 is not vintage to me. ;)

Apparently you've never heard Tejano music. :poke:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

"Vintage" to me implies some universally acknowledged desirability, along with a sound that is still good and unique today.

So, M1 is not vintage to me. ;)

Apparently you've never heard Tejano music. :poke:

Probably wouldn't want to either.

:rawk:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived