Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite vintage keyboard that you still use regularly.

Bill H.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I regularly gig with (and sometimes I only take to a gig) my Wurlitzer 200 Electric Piano. :rawk: love it!

I think that's pretty cool.

I've had 3 of these. The first one I bought right after I got the RMI and realized that it (the RMI) didn't have velocity - sensing keys. Because of this, the RMI was completely incapable of being a conduit of groove.

In the Wurlitzer EP, the internal amplifier was damaged and produced total static. The music store tried to repair it. Kept it for weeks. I finally talked them into giving me a replacement instead.

For those who don't remember (it was the seventies), or are too young to remember (whipper-snapperz), transistorized amplifier designs SUCKED back then. They were noisy and had very little power. When they distorted - and they were always clipping since they were underpowered - they sounded so bad...

That last Wurlizter EP I owned was in a wooden cabinet. I gave it away to a friend who lives on the Pamlico sound.

He lost it in a flood. :cry:

I remember the first time I heard one. I thought it was an electric guitar (I could hear it, but it was hidden behind some other keyboards). And, of course, the keyboard player was hidden behind the guitarist - go figure. I think the tune was "Joy to the World" - Three Dog Night (1971).

Hold on to that treasure, Mr. McGoo. Played through a nice tube amp it's got good funk.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hold on to that treasure, Mr. McGoo. Played through a nice tube amp it's got good funk.

Tom

I plan to! For a long time I only brought it out to choice gigs. I gig with a female original artist, and she loves the sound, and doesn't like acoustic piano. So I finally decided to start using it all the time. I know I'll shorten its life in doing so, but I made the choice to use it as opposed to making it a "museum" piece.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The Gibson organ in my Doors band. Nothing like playing the real thing. I am still learning things about it after four years, and there is still more to learn- like how to get the exact live tone Ray got out of it...I still am trying to figure out what settings (for example the Greatest Hits live version of Roadhouse is a prime example of the tone I would like to get) There's some cool clips of us playing on Monday in Hermosa on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DsMH07fxk

I have a D50 and a Juno 106...Haven't played the 50 in awhile, after 18 years of constant duty it was replaced by an Mo6 in 2006. Last November I cleared out my storage locker and the 106 turned on- it hasn't been touched since 1994. I need to plug it in and see if it still works. It needs knobs and keys, but if I fix it I don't know what to do with it. First keyboard ever owned, I'd like to mount it on the wall to remind me of where I came from and how far I've gone.

John

My Roland XV-5080. Usually stays in my home workspace, but it's still a great 'go to' piece for lots of sounds. It's loaded up with my favorite SRX cards. I've got original Programs, and Performances that were created on my JV-1080, then integrated into the XV-5080.

One more thing: Its' Alpha Dial now moves up/down in random numbers, never the number 1; so I just use the increment/decrement buttons. Still sounds great :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I use a lot of vintage keys regularly. Korg MS-20, Roland MKS-70, Roland JX-3P.

I also use some stuff that's a wee bit old, like the Roland XP-50, the EMu Proteus III World Music module, and the Korg MicroPiano. This ain't vintage, but I think they're considered a little long in the tooth.

My Synths are not considered "vintage"

perhaps someday they (Synths) will be categorized "vintage".

I really enjoy playing & practicing on my KORG Triton Exteme w/ MOSS Board & Prophet 8

although the remaining 2 synths have addictive sound-sets

KORG Kronos 76key/ Triton Extreme 88key

Dave Smith Instruments PROPHET 8/NEO Ventilator/ROLAND V-Synth GT/ACCESS Virus TI 2/ROLAND Jupiter80

JBL Pro LSR6328P Studio Monitors & JBL Pro LSR6312P Subwoofer

Archived