Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, I'm an idiot, please help!

mcgoo

I was trying to load in a new avatar, and can't seem to figure it out. Most of the time I get a "improper picture type" error message.

I've tried loading in pics from facebook, I've uploaded & resized a few pics to be smaller than 140x140 onto Imageshack & tried uploading from there.... When a pic does load & I get the "your settings have been updated message, it still shows no picture.

Yes, I've googled, but evidently am not smart enough to take what I find there & put it to work here. Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

thanks.... and I'm sure I've just realized my signature. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't work from facebook or myspace. You have to host your picture in a picture hosting site, like a private website or flicker or photobucket. I use Photobucket, and that works pretty darn easy.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Doesn't work from facebook or myspace. You have to host your picture in a picture hosting site, like a private website or flicker or photobucket. I use Photobucket, and that works pretty darn easy.

Not true. I've used Myspace for hosting my avi here before with no trouble.

Granted, my current avi is from photobucket....

Maybe he's over the size limit?

Some random thoughts... make sure that you type (or copy) the *whole* target URL, including the http:// at the beginning and the .jpg at the end. Also, check that the "URL to your Avatar" button is selected.

Not trying to insult your intelligence... I'm just remembering that I took a while to figure it out at the time.

Imageshack may be one of those services that changes the URL of the image every time the page when it is requested. Try one of the other services like Griff's Photobucket.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not true. I've used Myspace for hosting my avi here before with no trouble.

Granted, my current avi is from photobucket....

Maybe he's over the size limit?

Maybe....I could never host photos here from FB or myspace.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

thanks.... and I'm sure I've just realized my signature. :laugh:

Muahahahahahahaha.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Okay, seriously; you're not actually uploading an image for your avatar; you're providing a pointer to the image on the Internet somewhere.

Therefore, in order for this to work, you should be able to cut'n'paste the address for your avatar into the address bar in your browser, hit enter, and the image (by itself) should appear in your browser window.

That's the quick'n'dirty check to see if you're on the right track.

Once you've got that working properly, just cut'n'paste that URL into the profile editing form here where it says "URL to your avatar (Your image must be smaller than 140x140 pixels; .gif, .jpg, .png accepted)", click Submit, and Bob's yer mother's brother. :thu:

As others have mentioned, Photobucket is a good choice for hosting images for just such a purpose. A Google search (obviously) can find other such image hosting services that will suit you.

Good luck!

in order for this to work, you should be able to cut'n'paste the address for your avatar into the address bar in your browser, hit enter, and the image (by itself) should appear in your browser window.

Aha! It wasn't working when I did that, both from Image Shack and fb. It took me a few minutes to figure out photobucket as I don't have web service on my phone, and that seems to be its prefered method for uploading. Then I found out how to email a photo to it.

Thanks all for the help, and thanks Kevin for the kind offer to host. The new Avatar's not much, but I figured anything had to be better than the closeup of my big schnazz. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Regarding image hosting, since you all seem to have an ISP account or you wouldn't be here, don't all ISP accounts come with x amount of storage anyway? You should be able to host them on your own web space and not worry about problems with imageshack, etc.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Regarding image hosting, since you all seem to have an ISP account or you wouldn't be here, don't all ISP accounts come with x amount of storage anyway? You should be able to host them on your own web space and not worry about problems with imageshack, etc.

Not every ISP has hosting as part of the basic package; 99% of the world wouldn't know HTML from Hotmail, so what would the point be?

Sven, speaking of avatars, I never noticed this but the evenly-spaced vertical positioning of the stage lights on either side of your avatar sort of makes it look like it a frame from a movie on a piece of projector film. Very cool! :thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived