Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The portable Eddie Jobson

BP3

I got to hang with Eddie a good bit over the weekend. He played at NEARfest in Bethlehem PA.

His rig was great sounding and very flyable. That's a good thing as he came in from Tokyo on Friday to play on Sunday.

The rig is two Infinite Response VAX-77 controllers feeding MainStage. That's it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got to hang with Eddie a good bit over the weekend.

:thu::cool:

The rig is two Infinite Response VAX-77 controllers feeding MainStage. That's it.

Yep, Eddie's closely involved with IR (he's on their advisory board). :thu:

Did you have a chance to play either one of them? Are they both the same, or does he have one of each weight? I'm curious to know about the heavy action, and what it most closely compares to (feel-wise) from the more common instruments out there.

I'd love a rig like that... ah well, maybe next week's lottery. ;)

I saw EJ at the Infinite Response booth at NAMM- if you do a YouTube search for VAX77 you can catch videos of him playing his rig, I was just off camera to the left. Eddie had two identical black VAX77's with the "Heavy" action, each running a separate MacBook Pro with Mainstage (i.e., two keyboards, two laptops). Personally, I thought the heavy action was still a bit on the light side, but it was very playable and much improved over the prototypes from the year before. The textured keys are very nice.

I would love an 88 key, non-folding version for my studio- I imagine that would cost considerably less than the folding version. But if you are a gigging musician, the folding version would more than pay for itself on savings from flying and shipping. And the VAX77 does look pretty cool, even the red one!

88 weighted keys A-C, foldable and very MIDI capable? With a special Receptor program change mode?!?! This may be the controller I've been looking for..!

Well, they're actually 76 keys A-C, with an extra "special" key at the top end. If I remember correctly the extra key is to confirm patch change.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'd really love to play one, but I'm guessing the chance of ever seeing one in a Swedish music store is second to none... :(

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I saw EJ at the Infinite Response booth at NAMM- if you do a YouTube search for VAX77 you can catch videos of him playing his rig, I was just off camera to the left.

Impressive indeed! The rig AND hearing him play a good chunk of "Carrying No Cross" solo! I didn't miss Wetton or Bozzio at all! ;)

Cool portable rig... makes me reconsider my setup..... :D

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I'd really love to play one, but I'm guessing the chance of ever seeing one in a Swedish music store is second to none... :(

Given that their distribution model is direct-to-consumer, build-on-order, that's a pretty safe bet at this time. :thu:

Yup, that's what I meant. It's a bit hard for us "not in the music business" and not in the US, who don't regularly attend Events like NAMM and MusikMesse (actually I don't even know if Infinite Repsonse had a display at the Messe). What I mean is that there's a lot of people worldwide who probably would be very interested in this product, but if the only way to try one is to go to a NAMM show or visit Infinite Response in person to ever try one this will be a 'board for only proffesionals and not semi-pro's or amateurs.

Ok then the price might be a bit steep, but many people buy Nord Stages for $4000 and many earlier master keyboards like Roland A80/90, Oberheim OB3000s, Peaveys and such have had equally high price tags, so I don't think that is a problem.

I'm just hoping they will, in not a too distant future, start to sell their products through distributors in other countries outside the US as well.

Viewing Youtube at work just sucks....a few seconds then it pauses/glitches.

NO PICS!?!?! I really wish he'd come to Chicago. He's the one performer I've not seen that I wish I have.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

From NAMM January 2010:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/marzzzA6/IMG_3570.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/marzzzA6/IMG_3583.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/marzzzA6/IMG_3572.jpg

For pics of him actually playing, refer to the YouTube videos- they are from a better angle than the ones I shot.

Those VAX are kinda pretty!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow, those Vaxn are gorgeous! The OnStage stand is a knock off of the QuikLok Zstand (which is more solidly built, but just as much of a pain to assemble every gig). And thank you for the link: I spent an hour last nite watching that and the new UZ clips. Im still very disappointed hes not/and hasnt come to Chicago. Hope that changes.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Definitely gorgeous instruments visually... even with the piece of black gaffer's tape on the top unit's right cheekblock. ;)

These are even more on my GAS list as I see more about them.

Has everyone checked out the "5-foot drop test" in the "flight case" that they sell?

:freak: :freak:

[video:youtube]

An ill-considered choice of voices to use to prove that it still plays! That slow LFO mod sounds just how I'd expect a less-well-protected synth that's gone off the loading dock to sound. ;)

Larry.

Does anyone know, were all the sounds in that Youtube demo from Mainstage's native sounds, or was he using other plug-ins? i.e. for the Hammond Organ and CS-80 (Alaska, lead synths) sounds?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

An ill-considered choice of voices to use to prove that it still plays! That slow LFO mod sounds just how I'd expect a less-well-protected synth that's gone off the loading dock to sound. ;)

Yeah, I'd thought the same thing, like the mod wheel had busted at the maxed-out position... but I'd have wagered, looking at the thinness of the case itself, that the board wouldn't even power up, or would have a shattered mobo or something. ;)

He's from Texas, alright! :D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Does anyone know, were all the sounds in that Youtube demo from Mainstage's native sounds, or was he using other plug-ins? i.e. for the Hammond Organ and CS-80 (Alaska, lead synths) sounds?

MainStage does not have any native sounds, it is a platform for controlling softsynths (and now hardware in 2.0). But if I remember the conversation correctly, the Hammond sounds came from B4 II, and the CS-80 sounds came from a combination of CS-80V and Omnisphere.

MainStage does not have any native sounds

Technically that might be right... but Mainstage only comes as part of Logic, and Logic includes many sounds, like the EVB3 Hammond organ emulation, that's what I was thinking of. (I haven't used it, but I assume that the sounds that come with Logic are available to use in Mainstage.)

Regardless, thanks for the info about what he was using there!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, anything you can use in Logic should be available to Mainstage.

Archived