Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, this playing is certainly different.....

Garrafon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting - I think I gotta dig deeper into this cat. While a lot of what they showed was just loud banging, there's some other stuff that makes me wonder what else is there...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The clip seemed to be focussing on the more outrageous aspects of his approach, but the way he physically interacted with the instruments implies a pretty deep technique, so I'm interested enough to want to check out more. Plus, if he played with Wynton and won the MOnk competition, there must be more there. I wonder what Wynton thinks of his current thing.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I did not search further (yet), but would have to think he has SOME ability - none of which was apparent from that clip. If I was having an interview on CNN, however, I might want to showcase my "antics" on abusing a piano together with some actual playing ability/technique. I was not particularly impressed with what I saw on that clip.

All I could think of while watching him bang away at the keyboard was the Keith Emerson hand problems thread.
Why do you think he's wearing those custom RSI wrist braces? :laugh:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

But, given his resume, he probably doesn't suck...

CLONK

Yowza!!!

Maybe I have to hear more, as I am sure that he must have scads of talent. Based on that news clip alone, I don't get it. At. All.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

The clip seemed to be focussing on the more outrageous aspects of his approach, but the way he physically interacted with the instruments implies a pretty deep technique, so I'm interested enough to want to check out more. Plus, if he played with Wynton and won the MOnk competition, there must be more there. I wonder what Wynton thinks of his current thing.
I'd have to agree; winning the Monk Piano competition says a lot about anyone... A quick visit to their site reveals past winners like Marcus Roberts and Jacky Terrasson, as well as 4th place finishers Joey DeFrancesco (1987) and Sam Yahel (1999).

If I was having an interview on CNN, however, I might want to showcase my "antics" on abusing a piano together with some actual playing ability/technique.
I'll bet he did some serious playing, but interviewees don't get final edit - CNN just went with what they considered to be most interesting and newsworthy, and for a non musician public that would be what we saw.

Loved the incisive arts reporter. . . "Can you do a full split?"

This guy can play standard jazz. . I think he may just have tired of swing-eighth solos. And I get what he is doing here. . .trying to develop the physical, visceral impact of a rock band with a grand piano. "Teen Spirit" on his website was okay. I'd like to see him really dig into this though, with a pickup and a 3 x 6 wall of Marshall cabinets. Not my cup of tea, but. . .

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

All I could think of while watching him bang away at the keyboard was the Keith Emerson hand problems thread.

Larry.

...and all I could think about was, how come KE can do that to an organ but this guy can't to a piano?

Hiromi, Corea and countless others have been doing something similar (sans leg splits, and I'm okay with that :) ) for years...

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

I don't see how what he does has anything to do with jazz.

Ben Folds meets Cecil Taylor is a good analogy, but both Ben & Cecil (I am a fan of both) have a lot of depth and control to their individual thing.

Having checked out the samples of his album, this guy just seems to bang away relentlessly, like me when I was 15, haha.

That said, I would like to hear what he played to win the Monk piano competition though.

It boils down to this quote from the top of the article:

""It's all about distinguishing oneself in the marketplace," says Lewis, who goes by the moniker ELEW. "Charlie Parker had bebop. Scott Joplin had ragtime. Labels serve a purpose. They help one be identified. And I want to be identified."

In other words, it's a gimmick. Who can blame him for trying to draw attention to himself in some way?

Eric Lewis can play his ass off. Anyone who wins the Monk Competition can play his or her ass off. Always.

That doesn't mean this concept isn't silly, or not for me, or that it seems a little desperate/sad. I sure don't like it! But you can hate the art, even hate the artist, but still respect his ability and accomplishments.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

6 seconds looking on Youtube and I find a prime example:

him playing Georgia. He can play, obviously. He owns the tune, injects his personality, knows the vocabulary, etc.

But when does the hot chick scream? Exactly. During the 'Look at Me' ridiculous gliss. Lame. But that's EXACTLY what he's going for. He doesn't want the approval of the educated jazz purist. He wants the hot chick to scream. He wants to turn heads. Mission accomplished ELEW. :bor::facepalm::mad::whistle:

[video:youtube]

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Having checked out the samples of his album, this guy just seems to bang away relentlessly, like me when I was 15, haha.

That said, I would like to hear what he played to win the Monk piano competition though.

Inner urge?

It is just a bit sad what a jazz musician has to do to get some media attention. Being an outstanding musician is just not enough.

The 'proper' name for a piano is pianoforte -

'piano' = soft, 'forte' = loud.

Based on the two clips I've watched (above),

this guy is not so much of a piano player, more of a forte player!

I sometimes play like that when I've had WAY too much to drink :facepalm:!!!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived