Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kbd Mag- a new low

mcgoo

Are you guys serious? Really? A dude on the cover of the mag with a Mickey Mouse wannabe complex?

C'mon guys. Leave that crap to the teen rags. I thought your mag was aimed at people serious about the craft of music making with keyboards and its associated technology. I can't take anyone seriously that stoops to that kinda gimmickry to get noticed. You shouldn't either.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. I checked out his music, and I thought it was pretty cool. All that talk of analog synths and sound design and desirable imperfection-- the result is ear candy.

Maybe he should wear a tux? Somehow I don't think the rave kids would dig it.

For those of us who haven't received the issue yet, how about telling us who it is?

The guy goes by Deadmau5

I'd heard of him before.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah, gimmicks be damned! ;)

http://cdn.dipity.com/uploads/events/75081b871dcf5ef07decfb03f0514508.jpg

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/whitman/Wakeman.jpg

http://www.madatoms.com/uploads/content/images/home/LiberaceFlyingIn.jpg

Are you guys serious? Really? A dude on the cover of the mag with a Mickey Mouse wannabe complex?

C'mon guys. Leave that crap to the teen rags. I thought your mag was aimed at people serious about the craft of music making with keyboards and its associated technology. I can't take anyone seriously that stoops to that kinda gimmickry to get noticed. You shouldn't either.

Greg McGuirk

www.bimedia.biz

Did you read the article?

Sorry, but just cause you haven't heard of him and he's wearing a crazy costume doesn't mean this dude doesn't belong on the cover. That's Deadmau5 and he's a legit, well known, and fairly happening DJ. You can only throw Chick on the cover so many times.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I can't take anyone seriously that stoops to that kinda gimmickry to get noticed. You shouldn't either.

Come on now. It may be freaky to see this dude on the cover. It may seem like a gimmick. And heck, it may or may not be. But you aren't really telling me what to think are you? You're telling me how I should be reacting to somebody's music and how seriously I should take somebody? I shouldn't either? How's about you let me decide for myself.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Perhaps he's just another crotchety old geezer.............................

I mean............ the guy under the mouse head ;)

Wouldn't want the kids to see him for who he really is. :laugh:

If we're going to eliminate anyone who ever had a gimmick from relevancy, we'd better get busy. We're gonna be here a long time.

If we're going to eliminate anyone who ever had a gimmick from relevancy, we'd better get busy. We're gonna be here a long time.

+1,000

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

well.... guilty as charged. I didn't read the article, and I hadn't heard of him. I was just really put off by the Mickey Mouse head. I'll probably read the article eventually. If the guy impresses me I'll still think the head gear is moronic.

but no, I didn't mean to tell anyone else what to think, just felt like ranting. :blush:

www.gmma.biz

Just visited his website and what I hear certainly interests me. From the site:

Joel Zimmerman doesnt like being called a DJ. The 28-year-old dance music phenomenon from Toronto, better known as Deadmau5, rolls his eyes a the description, which he sees as a hopelessly outdated way of describing what he does. His sets are closer to live performances. He plays mostly his own material, assembling tracks on the fly, using cutting edge computer technology, including software hes helped write himself.

On the face of it at least, I'd say that's enough interest to warrant a piece on him...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Joel Zimmerman doesnt like being called a DJ. The 28-year-old dance music phenomenon from Toronto, better known as Deadmau5, rolls his eyes a the description, which he sees as a hopelessly outdated way of describing what he does. His sets are closer to live performances. He plays mostly his own material, assembling tracks on the fly, using cutting edge computer technology, including software hes helped write himself.

On the face of it at least, I'd say that's enough interest to warrant a piece on him...

But can he play a keyboard? I would hope that would be a requirement to be on the cover of a , err, umm, Keyboard mag. :laugh:

But can he play a keyboard? I would hope that would be a requirement to be on the cover of a , err, umm, Keyboard mag. :laugh:

You'd kinda think so...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I can't take anyone seriously that stoops to that kinda gimmickry to get noticed. You shouldn't either.

Come on now. It may be freaky to see this dude on the cover. It may seem like a gimmick. And heck, it may or may not be. But you aren't really telling me what to think are you? You're telling me how I should be reacting to somebody's music and how seriously I should take somebody? I shouldn't either? How's about you let me decide for myself.

True that.

The twenty-something dudes that I work with in my day job think he is all that. I checked out his music a couple of years ago, and I dig it. The whole electronica/dance/house thing isn't something I'm in the mood for very often. But when I am in the mood for it, it's pretty hard to go wrong with DeadMau5.

Oh, but wait! Some geezer on the Internet says I shouldn't take him seriously, because he wears a costume. Well, then, let me go ahead and rethink my own tastes... :rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

He's a DJ? As in (as Tony would say)pressing "play"?

But can he play a keyboard?

I'll ask again. Did you read the article??

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy, so...no. Assuming you have read the article, Steve, what is your opinion of this guy? Someone said he was a DJ, I was just pulling Tony's chain.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Ill take the heat for starting a thread on someone I was ignorant about- as I confessed earlier I hadnt read the article before starting the thread. I've read most of it now... will finish it later. So, I'll give the guy credit for being insightful about his craft- I liked his thoughts on not using tempo synced delays.

I still can't get past the head thing. Yeah, I was an Elton fan, and a Wakeman nut. The glasses & cape may have been gimmicky, but at the same time, these guys were / are performing artists that go beyond just sitting there and playing. So Ill concede that this guy could make the same argument. But I guess it's a measure of times. take whats been done before to further extremes no matter how ridiculous. If it upsets an old fart like me, it must be hip, huh?

But really. Am I the only one here that got annoyed by it?

www.gmma.biz

Mcgoo,

I've always dug what you have to say, but especially now more than ever. :thu:

I know EXACTLY how you feel and can definitely relate as I've felt the same revulsion / terror for the unknown. I myself am a younger cat but I am a disciple and a lover of the old school and a lot of what passes for 'music' these days gets me on my soapbox really quickly.

Not knowing who Deadmau5 was, I would also probably be like 'what the hell is he doing on the cover'?

Even at a younger age I have to strive very hard to learn about the new music on the scene, what younger kids listen to and talk about, what's hip and what's not and who the tastemakers are. It's a tough balance between revering the old school and studying the old school and making sure you know that stuff and at the same time making sure you're open to whatever is new on the scene and staying relevant. It's not important or necessary for everybody, but for someone like me who's young and tries to rub elbows in L.A. with people of musical influence, it's crucial.

This is one of the reasons I appreciate KB mag putting guys like this on the cover.

I didnt see it.

Keyboard mag hasnt been exclusively about Keyboards for a good 20 years. That's cool, we all dig our various modules, softsynths, DAWs and whatnot.

I know who Deadmaus is because he sued someone over a loop in Fruityloops. :laugh: His music aint my thang, but I guess he is using the software that is being talked about in Keyboard mag. They just need to change the name of the mag to "Keyboards and other shit". :laugh:

I wasn't particularly interested or annoyed by it.

Frankly, I typically spend all of one second looking at the cover before I hungrily tear open the magazine to see what's inside.

I'd much rather hear what Deadmau5 sounds like than see what he looks like, but you can't put that on a cover. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

His music aint my thang, but I guess he is using the software that is being talked about in Keyboard mag. They just need to change the name of the mag to "Keyboards and other shit". :laugh:

Although in this case "other shit" would be referring to big stacks of modular analog synths and outboard analog effects.

Personally, I have a certain admiration for anyone crazy enough to use modular synths. He's not just another FruityLoops kid.

Archived