Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I thought I submitted my picks for the last two weeks of the regular season before I left on vacation. Oh well.

The Chargers finish the 2010 season ranked #1 in both offense and defense. They might be the first NFL team to do that and miss the playoffs. If your team is ranked that high in two of the three phases of the game and finished 9-7, one can only point to the 3rd phase - special teams. Thus the Chargers fired special teams coach Steve Crosby.

The Panthers are said to be very interested in Charger D-coordinator Ron Rivera. I'd rather SD fires Norv and promotes Ron in his place, rather than let him go to another team, but that's probably not going to happen.

Congrats to those whose teams made the playoffs. NE will probably win it all, but I'll still root for the underdogs in these games anyway.

I heard an interesting thing on Mike and Mike this morning. Greenie said that he "heard around the halls" of ESPN that "New England is the WORST 14-2 team, ever". I can't agree with that statement. They've only lost to the Jets early in the season, whom they dismantled recently, and lost to the Browns when they were asleep at the wheel (for some reason). Unlike my Steelers, the Patriots have beating a number of Division Champions, and have destroyed at least 3 of them recently. As in "No Contest".

Of course that's ridiculous. Griffinator said it best in his post that the proof is in the pudding. Ultimately, what matters is the scoreboard. 1st in points scored (by a large margin), and 8th in points allowed. That adds up to a team that's going to win a lot games. End of story. And win games they did.

The talking heads over at ESPN just need stuff to flap their gums about in order to fill out their news cycle. A lot of times they miss the point. Next time, let Tedi Bruschi talk about the Pats. :thu:

I think it is absurd to call NE the worst 14-2 team ever. For me, wins over SD, Jets, Bal, Ind and Pitt shout "best team in league" pretty unambiguously. And plus, everyone knows that the 1998 Falcons were the worst 14-2 team ever.

That said, I don't see the Pats as a classic "dominant" team. They're the favorites for sure, but I think the playoffs are pretty wide open.

On that note, in my humble opinion, the two most dangerous NFC teams are unfortunately paired up in week 1. That'd be Phi and GB

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I think it is absurd to call NE the worst 14-2 team ever. For me, wins over SD, Jets, Bal, Ind and Pitt shout "best team in league" pretty unambiguously.

Let's not forget Chi and GB. ;)

Interesting factoids:

Since losing to Cleveland in week 9, the Pats have put up more points in 8 games than the Cardinals, Rams, Bills, Vikings, Dolphins, Browns, and Panthers managed their entire respective seasons.

Their average MOV over that stretch has been 21.8 PPG. 14 teams in the NFL this season (including the playoff-bound Bears and the 10-6 Bucs) scored less than 21.8 PPG total.

Speaking of the Pats, why would Rex Ryan do this ?

The New York Jets coach said Thursday that "nobody" studies like Manning, the Indianapolis Colts quarterback whom Ryan's team faces in a wild-card playoff matchup Saturday night. Nope, not even the New England Patriots quarterback.

"I know Brady thinks he does," Ryan said. "I think there's a little more help from (Bill) Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning."

:poke:

If the Jets actually get by the Colts, it will be really, uhm, interesting.

:facepalm:

Speaking of the Pats, why would Rex Ryan do this ?

The New York Jets coach said Thursday that "nobody" studies like Manning, the Indianapolis Colts quarterback whom Ryan's team faces in a wild-card playoff matchup Saturday night. Nope, not even the New England Patriots quarterback.

"I know Brady thinks he does," Ryan said. "I think there's a little more help from (Bill) Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning."

:poke:

If the Jets actually get by the Colts, it will be really, uhm, interesting.

:facepalm:

Well, it will be interesting to see what he says after Brady hangs another 40-spot on them.

No wonder the guy has a foot fetish - he's constantly stuffing his own foot in his mouth.

Heh, yeah I'd say Belicheat gives Brady a lot more help than he gives Manning....

Are you kidding? Over the years that the Pats were owning Manning, Bill threw every possible defensive look, formation, subpackage, and blitz you could possibly imagine. You don't think that contributed greatly to the evolution of his understanding of defenses? :D

I think it is absurd to call NE the worst 14-2 team ever. For me, wins over SD, Jets, Bal, Ind and Pitt shout "best team in league" pretty unambiguously.

Let's not forget Chi and GB. ;)

I'm not sure that a narrow win over a second string helmed Packers is much of a resume builder, but it beats a loss anyway. ;)

As for ESPN, I think they're just trying to get people to talk about ESPN. 14-2 is impressive any way you look at it, and the Patriots are the team to beat this year.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Wow, first I saw this on ESPN, and then I read this.

I really enjoy our history together in this forum. :thu:

That was a fantastic game, and yes... we do indeed have a great history of NFL appreciation here. I'm sure you recall that from day one of the Keyboard Corner, dB made it clear that sports conversations were not only not frowned upon but actually encouraged, and as a result, this has really been my favorite sports forum on the entire internet for about a decade. :thu:

I'm sure you recall that from day one of the Keyboard Corner, dB made it clear that sports conversations were not only not frowned upon but actually encouraged

Almost. IIRC. what did it specifically was the Sixers getting into the NBA Finals against the Lakers in 2001. I was in LA with no one to slam head with, so I turned to the forum brothers.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Sources: Harbaugh, 49ers reach 5-year deal

Hopefully, his brother can bring him up to speed on the culture of the NFL. Totally different from the control a HC has at the collegiate level. Good luck to him. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sources: Harbaugh, 49ers reach 5-year deal

Hopefully, his brother can bring him up to speed on the culture of the NFL. Totally different from the control a HC has at the collegiate level. Good luck to him. :cool:

Same here. He must have felt the Niners offered a better situation than Miami. He's been spotted on the sidelines of Ravens games before, so I'm sure he took a lot of notes from his brother.

Let's not forget that Jim Harbaugh is also a former NFL quarterback for the Bears, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, and Panthers, who played in the league through the end of the 2001 season.

He may not have experience as an NFL head coach; but he has plenty of NFL experience as a player, which should help some.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

He may not have experience as an NFL head coach; but he has plenty of NFL experience as a player, which should help some.
He also comes out of a coaching family. He helped his father as an unpaid coaching assistant at Western Kentucky for the last 8 years of his career, and coached at the Raiders for a couple of seasons. I'm definitely interested to see how well he'll do at the next level.

I still remember his Valvano-like reaction after beating USC a couple of years ago. He's come a long way in a couple of years....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Heh, yeah I'd say Belicheat gives Brady a lot more help than he gives Manning....

Are you kidding? Over the years that the Pats were owning Manning, Bill threw every possible defensive look, formation, subpackage, and blitz you could possibly imagine. You don't think that contributed greatly to the evolution of his understanding of defenses? :D

Well, to be fair, that "scheme" usually involved BB winking at an official and then Ty Law throwing Marvin Harrison to the ground...it took a rule change to get Manning over that "scheme."

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived