Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by magpel:

I kinda feel the same about Roethelisberger--for all intents and purposes a likely two-time rapist who got off with a four-game suspension and a dog-and-pony-show intervention. In all likelihood, the dude should be doing 5 to 10. Plaxico is, for raping his own leg, for Pete's sake. And if you're wondering whether I think color was a big difference, you bet I do.

I agree, except for maybe the color issue. Plex was carrying a pistol in NYC and no permit to carry. He was made an example of, which is too bad. As far as Rothlisburger, he's a rapist and should be jail. He probably paid off the girl and she didn't press charges or take him to court. The rich get away with things us commoners go to jail for doing.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by magpel:

I kinda feel the same about Roethelisberger--for all intents and purposes a likely two-time rapist who got off with a four-game suspension and a dog-and-pony-show intervention. In all likelihood, the dude should be doing 5 to 10. Plaxico is, for raping his own leg, for Pete's sake. And if you're wondering whether I think color was a big difference, you bet I do.

I agree, except for maybe the color issue. Plex was carrying a pistol in NYC and no permit to carry. He was made an example of, which is too bad. As far as Rothlisburger, he's a rapist and should be jail. He probably paid off the girl and she didn't press charges or take him to court. The rich get away with things us commoners go to jail for doing.

Mike T.

Yeah, it's a pretty tough sell between a crime that requires a victim to testify versus someone being caught red-handed. If a cop had barged into the room where Rottenburger was having his way with that chick while she tried to fight him off, it'd be a different story.

Not saying he wasn't guilty, just saying the color issue doesn't really play here, it was a matter of overwhelming evidence versus very shaky evidence.

Don't nomrally go for the "human interest" angle, but this little local NFL-related story struck me as poignant.

BTW, Ighedebo is out for the season too, in addition to Leonhard? Seriously, if you don't watch the Jets regularly, you'd have no idea what a blow this is. He's a ferocious special teams ace and a big hitter at safety, and a guy with a REAL temper control issue.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Once again: THERE IS A GAME TOMORROW. Get your picks in now or forever hold your piece. Or peace. Hold something, but don't complain about it. :D
You're definitely an optimist if you want to call Titans/Colts in '10 a game....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Moss was thrown to just three times Sunday against the Jaguars and caught just one of those passes for 13 yards and no touchdown in the loss. Moss now has just five catches for 62 yards in the four games he has been with the Titans.

Think Randy is feeling stupid for making a federal case over the Pats not giving him an extension? Thinking maybe he's wishing he'd just kept his mouth shut and kept grabbing passes from the first-ballot HoF'er?

Belichick has Minnesota's 3rd round pick and isn't giving it back but will trade it for 2012 2nd and 4th rounders and then work on improving that 4th rounder--likely by packaging it with the 2011 4th rounder he got from Denver for Maroni and getting 2012 2nd and 3rd rounders in exchange for the two 4th rounders.

At the end of the day the Pats will have 7 picks in the top 100 in 2012 and Denver and Minnesota will both fire their coaches. Whoops. That already happened.

Once again: THERE IS A GAME TOMORROW. Get your picks in now or forever hold your piece. Or peace. Hold something, but don't complain about it. :D
You're definitely an optimist if you want to call Titans/Colts in '10 a game....

I didn't say a "good game". :D

Well, the Haynesworth-less saga continues with him being suspended the last (4) games of the season and appealing it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Haynes-booger is more concerned about the $800k loss moreso than making a contribution to the team in terms of winning. IMO, the sooner the Skins get rid of this cat, the better off the team will be going forward.

In fact, I'm all for blowing up the entire defense with the exception of Orakpo, Fletcher and Landry. Similarly, I would keep Rabach and Williams on the O-line. Every other position on the O- and D-line is open.

The Skins definitely need a big play WR or two. Moss and Armstrong aren't enough. I'd prefer to have a Brandon Jacobs type RB on the roster but the Davis kid may have some potential.

I'd imagine the remainder of this season will be an evaluation tool for next year. I'm just hoping the coaching staff see what I do from my armchair. :laugh:

Peyton Manning has fallen into a slump at the worst possible time during the season. I believe the Colts will bounce back and finish up well. Injuries really hurt (no pun intended) their chances of going back to the SB this year. But, I doubt this current bump will adversely affect PM's new contract. ;)

Looks like one or more perennial bottom-feeding AFC teams will make it to the playoffs. But, if they don't beat each other up first, I seriously doubt any of them will get past the Pats. BB and his team may have found their zone. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

There's an old saying "The cemetery is full of indispensable people." I wonder if Haynesworth will figure out that he is not indispensable in the same time frame as Duane Thomas of the Dallas Cowboys did. Interesting that Duane Thomas decided he wouldn't talk to the press after the Cowboys front office wouldn't give him a new contract after his ROOKIE season. Haynesworth got his contract and decided he wouldn't play. With the kind of money he was making, he should have played ball. Haynesworth wouldn't talk to his coach. Good move. :wave:

Idiot.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

In fact, I'm all for blowing up the entire defense with the exception of Orakpo, Fletcher and Landry. Similarly, I would keep Rabach and Williams on the O-line. Every other position on the O- and D-line is open.

On D, I'd keep Hall. He's changed for the better. You'd need someone much better before you deal him away.

On O, I say dump Rabach. It's confusing that a center who effectively sacked his own QB is still starting, even more so when you consider how well Montgomery played center in the Titans game. Even Heyer stepped up at guard (he's an awful tackle). Our on offense strongest position is tight end.

Overall, we need to go much younger. Portis, Moss and many others should be gone next year. The draft has to focus on linemen, receivers and maybe a QB.

On D, I'd keep Hall. He's changed for the better. You'd need someone much better before you deal him away.

On O, I say dump Rabach. It's confusing that a center who effectively sacked his own QB is still starting, even more so when you consider how well Montgomery played center in the Titans game. Even Heyer stepped up at guard (he's an awful tackle). Our on offense strongest position is tight end.

Overall, we need to go much younger. Portis, Moss and many others should be gone next year. The draft has to focus on linemen, receivers and maybe a QB.

The fact that Hall can't tackle a bag of potatoes and plays too far off bothers me but he has made a few big plays.

I agree with getting players who are young, skilled and aggressive. Our vets are long in the tooth and the rest just aren't good enough to be starters. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The fact that Hall can't tackle a bag of potatoes and plays too far off bothers me but he has made a few big plays.

I agree with getting players who are young, skilled and aggressive. Our vets are long in the tooth and the rest just aren't good enough to be starters. :cool:

Maybe Snyder... I mean the Skins can follow the Pats example and unload those vets for some draft picks and stock up.

Then again, will Dan be patient enough to wait for the young talent to develop?

How I know I'm a Bad Person...

I read that Matt Cassel had an appendectomy today and my immediate reaction was to hope that maybe the Chargers could beat them this week as a result.

I shouldn't be thinking that. I should be wishing Cassel well. He seems like a nice guy and is a good player. But still... hmm.

ESPN's view of the Jets:

(Power rank 6, previously 3)

I'm unsure how the Jets can be rated in the top 10 after what we saw Monday night. They were blown out by 42 points and weren't in the game after the national anthem. The Jets own one victory over a team with a winning record. That was the Patriots more than two months ago. Aside from that triumph, the Jets have been outscored 64-12 against teams with winning records. They were shut out at home by the Green Bay Packers, this week's No. 7 team.

I respect Vick's right for a second chance, and am pretty amazed at his performance this year. That having been said, I really can never forgive him for what happened with the dogs. Sorry.

No need to be sorry; it's the way you feel. But I think about it differently.

I think about all of the bacon and steaks and hamburgers that I've eaten in my lifetime not to mention all of the leather shoes and jackets that I've worn. Why are we so much more sensitive about the fate of dogs than the fate of bulls and pigs? A mammal's a mammal, and pigs are highly intelligent.

Vick's actions were ignorant, insensitive, callous, and stupid, but as a life-long consumer of beef and leather goods, I can't claim that I'm any better. I just let some guy at the slaughterhouse do my killing for me.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Is it safe to say that NE might have just gotten their swagger back?

The Patriots had their swagger back when they humiliated the Steelers a few weeks ago.

Jets - Just End The Season?

I have a lot of Jets-fan friends, and we've watched a lot of really bad Jets teams over the years. But I have never seen a butt-kicking like the one the Pats laid on them Monday night. That's the kind of game that fans are going to remember for decades.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

As far as the Pats D goes, I'll reserve judgment on whether they have swagger until they show some consistency, but they certainly got a huge confidence boost. They played well, for sure, but the lack of points scored by the Jets had more do with the Jets offense failing miserably than it did with the Pats D in my opinion. Sanchez just looked lost out there.

As for the Pats offense, well, since they're the highest scoring team in the NFL, I'd say they never lost their swagger. It always comes down to whether or not they can score more points than their defense gives up.

I respect Vick's right for a second chance, and am pretty amazed at his performance this year. That having been said, I really can never forgive him for what happened with the dogs. Sorry.

No need to be sorry; it's the way you feel. But I think about it differently.

I think about all of the bacon and steaks and hamburgers that I've eaten in my lifetime not to mention all of the leather shoes and jackets that I've worn. Why are we so much more sensitive about the fate of dogs than the fate of bulls and pigs? A mammal's a mammal, and pigs are highly intelligent.

Vick's actions were ignorant, insensitive, callous, and stupid, but as a life-long consumer of beef and leather goods, I can't claim that I'm any better. I just let some guy at the slaughterhouse do my killing for me.

Most of these pro athletes are just grown children. It's true. Just think of how most of them have gone through life due to their athletic talents. They're basically coddled the whole way because of all the special treatment they get, from high school through college and into the pros, never really learning about how the real world works and that their actions have consequences. They're never given any reason to believe the world doesn't revolve around them. It's no excuse, but to a certain extent, they simply don't know any better. That's not true of every athlete of course, a lot of these guys just aren't mentally mature.

I also agree about the question of where you draw the line when it comes animal treatment. Does it make any sense to deplore dog fighting and then turn around and eat a burger? A cow had to get slaughtered and have his meat ground up to make that thing. I'm not saying I approve of dogfighting, just saying...I don't know what I'm saying actually. I guess the bottom line is that dogfighting is illegal and cow killing isn't, but there's an interesting ethical issue there.

Moving towards humane practices for domestic animals is a big step forward for mankind as is conservation and refusing to wear dead animals as decoration or celebrating how many pelts your animal is able to hunt down and take.

Red Meat will the next battle and likely won as a dietary, cost, and carbon footprint issue rather than a pure animal rights issue. Fish farming is in.

I so want to state my opinion on the Vick thing, but to me, it's an intractable subject like politics or religion or the Great Pumpkin and is best avoided.

What I will say is the thought crossed my mind that people should stop praising him quite so much about his "change." We don't want it to go to his head and blow it. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Moving towards humane practices for domestic animals is a big step forward for mankind as is conservation and refusing to wear dead animals as decoration or celebrating how many pelts your animal is able to hunt down and take.

Red Meat will the next battle and likely won as a dietary, cost, and carbon footprint issue rather than a pure animal rights issue. Fish farming is in.

I'd be satisfied with humane killing. If my budget could tolerate the price increase (won't be long before that's a reality) I'll be buying local beef and pork from kosher-kill slaughterhouses.

by Bridog6996:

Most of these pro athletes are just grown children. It's true. Just think of how most of them have gone through life due to their athletic talents. They're basically coddled the whole way because of all the special treatment they get, from high school through college and into the pros, never really learning about how the real world works and that their actions have consequences. They're never given any reason to believe the world doesn't revolve around them. It's no excuse, but to a certain extent, they simply don't know any better. That's not true of every athlete of course, a lot of these guys just aren't mentally mature.

The only thing about your post that I take an issue with is I believe they DO know better, but they think they can get away with it. Plexico is paying the price for believing he could carrying a concealed loaded weapon into a night club and get away with it. If he had any pistol training he would have never tried to carry that in an elastic waste set of sweats. I have no doubt that Plex isn't the brightest guy on the planet, but apparently he also failed to have the safety on when he carried that pistol in his waist band. He's fortunate that he didn't injure himself more seriously or hurt someone else. There's a reason why people that want to carry a concealed weapon into public places need a permit. Plex failed the intelligence test and gun safety practices are for other people.

Mike T.

Archived