Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFL Network reports Wade Phillips has been fired.

Can Brad Childress be far behind?

Best,

Geoff

I think if Ziggy were going to fire him mid-season, he would have done it during the Moss debacle.

I definitely think Minny will be filling a coaching vacancy in the offseason.

Factoid - 5 lowest NFL team payrolls

NFL Green Bay Packers Team Salaries $ 94,018,300

NFL Indianapolis Colts Team Salaries $ 93,373,915

NFL New England Patriots Team Salaries $ 92,734,120

NFL Baltimore Ravens Team Salaries $ 90,713,965

NFL Kansas City Chiefs Team Salaries $ 83,623,776

All 5 teams are leading their division (or tied at the top).

5 Highest payrolls:

NFL Oakland Raiders Team Salaries $ 152,389,371

NFL Dallas Cowboys Team Salaries $ 146,401,600

NFL Minnesota Vikings Team Salaries $ 133,354,045

NFL Cleveland Browns Team Salaries $ 131,916,300

NFL New Orleans Saints Team Salaries $ 131,531,820

3 have losing records. None are in first. Average place in the standings: 2.8

I didn't know the salary range was that wide. Talent is such a moving target in football. For every Ray Lewis who maintains his level of performance, there's a couple of hundred guys who were signed 'cause they were one thing and almost immediately turned into a different thing, through no fault of their own, usually.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'm a little surprised to see Indy & NE, with high priced veteran QBs, on the low end of the salary list and Cleveland on the high end. Is it simply a matter of which GMs know how to work the cap more aggressively than others? Wouldn't Detroit be on the high end after drafting near the top and paying those top picks so many years in a row?

Welcome back to Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback.

As unpredictable as this season has been, its been nothing if not interesting. Here we are in November, more than halfway through the season, and out of 32 NFL teams, I can count 22 that are still legitimately in contention.

NFC: Giants, Eagles, Skins, Packers, Bears, Falcons, Saints, Bucs, Rams, and Seahawks (sorta).

AFC: Jets, Pats, Fins, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Colts, Texans, Jaguars, Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers.

We know its unlikely that the 4-4 Seahawks, who are now missing Hasslebeck and really stink, will be visiting Dallas in February. But in this crazy world, you still cant write off the possibility! And thats just one example of this goofy season where damn near anything could happen (and probably will).

The Week 9 Pick Em Pool featured a couple of break-out performances. Congrats go out to kanker and -- with back-to-back victories the last two weeks -- GovernorSilver, who ended up with 10 points each. For being such a goofy week, losing only two game outright is pretty damn impressive. Saku also did well with a 9 point week. If New England hadnt completely floundered against the Browns, almost all of us would have had another point in our totals (except the oddly prescient antimatter... I wont even ask how you pulled that one off).

A giant 8-point club in week 9: dB, Mid Life Crisis, Magpel, Geoff Grace, and antimatter were all members, while richwhite9, me, and ProfD came in with an unspectacular 7 points. Even griffinators 6 point performance wasnt among our collection worst weeks as a whole. It seems that Jay has fallen off the Pick Em Pool map, so until he joins in again, well stop bringing up his lack of picks.

The absolute high confidence teams this week were Green Bay and Pittsburgh, with our 100% unanimous correct choices. Thats as much a statement about their blundering opponents (Dallas and Cincinnati) as their own skills. New England was the next high confidence team, which should tell you that you shouldnt necessarily place confidence in high confidence teams.

Divisional Musings

NFC East: I cant deny that the Giants look tough as hell. Second best defense in the league against both the pass and the rush. Super Bowl teams often have specs like that. Both the Eagles are Skins have unpredictably decent and terrible moments. Regarding the train wreck that was the Cowboys, I cant imagine things getting any worse than they already are, so chin up, Americas Team.

NFC North: Green Bay is coming off three straight wins and going into their bye week. Theyre looking strong (though my high school team might look strong against Dallas, and they face the Vikings upon their return). Speaking of whom... is there an over/under on Childress remaining employment tenure? It really seems hes lost the team. I give it three losses between now and the end of the season. Finally, the Lions are playing better than their record would show.

NFC South: Both Atlanta and New Orleans have won their last couple of games, and each have six wins (which ties them for the best in the league so far this year). The Bucs have had a cakewalk schedule so far, and theyll likely fade soon. For the record, Carolina is probably even worse than the Cowboys, but no one expected them to be good.

NFC West: I honestly thought that the Seahawks and Rams were showing marked improvement this year, but the feeling is waning fast. This might end up being the year that the NFC West sends a sub-.500 team to the playoffs. Mark my words.

AFC East: What the hell happened to the Pats last weekend? I was stunned to the point that I still dont believe it. By the time I saw Wes Welker kicking extra points, I was pretty sure someone had spiked my orange juice with acid. Anyway, last weeks power ranking top dog isnt even at the top of their division now; the Jets are.

AFC North: Itll be interesting to see how two tough teams -- the Ravens and the Steelers -- battle to the finish line. I have a feeling that their matchup on Sunday Dec 5 will end up being epic. Kudos to Cleveland for their effort against the Pats last weekend.

AFC South: I still cant get a handle on the Colts or the Titans this year. Theyre so inconsistent week to week that I have no idea how either team will end up. There are no real dogs in the AFC South... their worst team, Jacksonville, is still at .500.

AFC West: As a Raiders fan, Ill be the biggest supporter of the Broncos youve ever seen this coming weekend when they face the Chiefs. Go Broncos! Meanwhile, San Diego has managed to win a couple of games, and they (along with the Raiders) have a bye this coming weekend. Its funny that on paper, the Chargers look like one of the better teams in the league (1st in passing yards, 4th/5th in defense against the run/pass) and yet are still near the bottom of the division. That could easily change.

Exciting stuff, though Im glad Im not a professional gambler this year. To coin the overwrought phrase, any given Sunday shows us that damn near anyone could grab the brass ring this year. Itll be fun seeing what happens over the next crucial four weeks and beyond. Meanwhile, keep your chin strap tight and your shoulders squared, and well see you next week.

In case you wondered what kind of guy Wade Phillips is.

Wade Phillps stays classy. :thu:

(A lot of guys would cancel all their appearances immediately after such a firing.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can't see things changing in Dallas until Jerry fires the GM. Whoops, that's him! He'll never get a Gruden or Cowher in there because he want's to control everything.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Jerry Jones has the money and he wants the spotlight on him. He likes to hang with the star players and wants to be stage front. No chance of him changing how he operates. Bill Cowher wouldn't be able to work for Jones, tbey would disagree, and Bill would probably smash his store bought teeth. If he is able to control himself, jaws might drown Jones in a spit bath. That would be interesting to watch. :sick::cry:

Gruden? If he could work for big Al, he couldn't probably work for anyone. He's use to not getting paid, so working for Jones would be a new experience for Chuckie.

Al may have a big payroll, but does that include the people he hasn't paid what he contracted to pay them?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Well, the Steelers are the walking wounded this week. The coaching staff was about to use a tight end to play tackle in the Cincy game because they had so many injuries on the Offensive line. Not to mention that some of their players are almost as old as I am, now THAT's OLD. So they don't recover from injuries like young players do. Eventually, they have to retire because they can't walk.....even when they're sober. Hmm.....New England this weekend. And the Pats are PISSED. They lost to Cleveland this past week! However, its not the "Same old Browns". It looks like they finally got a QB. That kid can play.

What really makes me mad is that the game is on Sunday night again! I get up so early in the morning I have to listen to the radio to hear the game. I'm too ugly to be Cinderella, but at my age I turn into a pumpkin if I stay out past midnight. And NO, I don't have broadcast TV in my house. I refuse to pay the outrageous rates the cable company wants for boob tube service.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Michael Vick leads the NFL with a QB rating of 105. 3. He has attempted 125 passes in 5 games. Vince Young is next with a QB rating of 103.1. He has attempted 122 passes in 7 games.

Then comes Rivers. QB rating of 102.9. He has attempted...329 passes in 9 games. 329.

Discuss.

What really makes me mad is that the game is on Sunday night again! I get up so early in the morning I have to listen to the radio to hear the game. I'm too ugly to be Cinderella, but at my age I turn into a pumpkin if I stay out past midnight. And NO, I don't have broadcast TV in my house. I refuse to pay the outrageous rates the cable company wants for boob tube service.

Mike T.

Damn. I get broadcast (the basic 4, PBS, and a couple others), with NBC, ABC, and Fox in HD for $14 on my cable service.

Here's the weird part: If I had no TV service at all, my internet would be $70. Because I have broadcast, my total bill including the TV is $60.

Before Adelphia took over the cable system, we could get a cable connection on the cheap. Comcast took over Adelphia and everything is outrageous. I won't pay it. "TV should be an occasional convenience, not a way of life" I've heard said before. Its not all that important. Besides, I'm just cheap.

I pay 30 bucks a month for a DSL connection through MA Bell and get T1 speed, consistently. I have a DVD player and an old 21" Sony TV. It costs nothing. I play movies or listen to the radio when its time for bed.

The only time I really wish for TV service is football season. When I had TV service I cursed the bill I got all the months there were no FB games on!

Edit: Michael Vick. His throws are more accurate than they have ever been. He always was a great athlete, now he seems to be a complete QB. Occasionally, Old Andy makes a good deal.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Edit: Michael Vick. His throws are more accurate than they have ever been. He always was a great athlete, now he seems to be a complete QB. Occasionally, Old Andy makes a good deal.

Vick is finally a QB. He used to be a running back who threw occasionally. For the second half I think Reid finally got him to stay in the pocket for the most part. It's gonna be tough on Monday night. Go Skins!

Vick has been GIVEN one helluva a second chance. There are many who still believe he never should have been allowed back into the NFL. All that aside, if he can improve on what he did last week, he will be one of, if not the best QB in the NFL this season. That pass from 5 yards deep in his own endzone was magic.

Monday night should draw some huge ratings for ESPN. I hope the Skins win. Either way I hope it's a close game that keeps all watching on the edge of their seats.

Weird Day in the NFL with the story on Jim McMahon, Chicago Super Bowl winning QB. He's suffering from debilitating short and long term memory loss and is in pain every day, hasn't worked out in 15 years and can't run.

Who can forget the Bears Super Bowl Shuffle? Somethings are made to be forgotten....

And Parcell's pet, ex-Giant and Patriot and then Jet Dave Meggett,was sentenced to 30 years in prison after a decade of increasingly violent arrests for sexual assault.

No word if his dysfunction is a result of heavy contact.

Michael Vick leads the NFL with a QB rating of 105. 3. He has attempted 125 passes in 5 games. Vince Young is next with a QB rating of 103.1. He has attempted 122 passes in 7 games.

Then comes Rivers. QB rating of 102.9. He has attempted...329 passes in 9 games. 329.

Vick and Young are much improved this year. If they hadn't been forced by injuries to miss as many snaps as they have, their attempts would be much higher than the 120 range. I think Young put to rest the speculation that he has a weaker arm than advertised, coming out of college, where he was basically a spread option QB who rarely threw more than 20 yd. passes. Against my Chargers, I saw a lot more deep bombs from Young in one game than I've seen in all his previous seasons, and with very good accuracy too.

Rivers' high number of attempts and the Chargers' #1 pass offense ranking is because the Bolts have fallen behind early in games due to special teams gaffes and fumbles, and were forced to come out throwing earlier. I think they still lead the NFL in fumbles. Mike Scifres' punting average is the worst in the NFL because blocked punts are included in the calculation.

That all said, I'm impressed with Rivers' production despite missing his starting WRs, Gates, and a lineman.

Weird Day in the NFL with the story on Jim McMahon, Chicago Super Bowl winning QB. He's suffering from debilitating short and long term memory loss and is in pain every day, hasn't worked out in 15 years and can't run.

Who can forget the Bears Super Bowl Shuffle? Somethings are made to be forgotten....

And Parcell's pet, ex-Giant and Patriot and then Jet Dave Meggett,was sentenced to 30 years in prison after a decade of increasingly violent arrests for sexual assault.

No word if his dysfunction is a result of heavy contact.

Sorry to hear about Meggett. He was a great player for the Giants for a long time. Football has serious problems that it will continue to ignore (or "greenwash" at best) until such time as their 9-billion-a-year franchise is threatened. Goodell is an expansionist in every sense of the word: NFL network media expansionism, international expansion, and, apparently, schedule expansion.

I am finding the injury plague (not the neuro-damage plague in particular)is compromising my enjoyment of the game, to a degree. It impacts the continuity of a team's achievement, as can a catastrophic basketball injury, like Walton going down late in the season when Portland was almost certain to repeat as champs.

For example, the Giants are playing really well now, and one of the primary reasons is the rediscovery of the O-line cohesiveness that was so awesome two years ago. Now, this week O'Hara is out and his replacement is out for the year, Diehl is out and Mackenzie is hurt. There is real pleasure in watching a veteran line work together...but they kinda have to be on the field. I am not complaining relative to other teams' woes. The NYG have not been close to the hardest hit team so far this year, but it is a nice clinical example of how the mundane predictability of injuries compromises the quality of team play and the fan experience, generally.

What's so impressive about Rivers is that a guy throwing that many passes in come-from-behind situations is maintaining such a high QB rating. QB rating is a flawed measure, but it prioritizes ball safety and high percentage passing, not two virtues you usually associate with the mad bombers of necessity.

Vick and Young are much improved this year. If they hadn't been forced by injuries to miss as many snaps as they have, their attempts would be much higher than the 120 range. I think Young put to rest the speculation that he has a weaker arm than advertised, coming out of college, where he was basically a spread option QB who rarely threw more than 20 yd. passes. Against my Chargers, I saw a lot more deep bombs from Young in one game than I've seen in all his previous seasons, and with very good accuracy too.

Rivers' high number of attempts and the Chargers' #1 pass offense ranking is because the Bolts have fallen behind early in games due to special teams gaffes and fumbles, and were forced to come out throwing earlier. I think they still lead the NFL in fumbles. Mike Scifres' punting average is the worst in the NFL because blocked punts are included in the calculation.

That all said, I'm impressed with Rivers' production despite missing his starting WRs, Gates, and a lineman.

Agreed! Not many QBs can throw downfield so much without a drop in QB rating, because accuracy tends to be lower for the deep throws.

Perhaps it might put to rest the talk about Rivers needing Gates, VJ, and Floyd to play well - aka. the classic "do the receivers make the QB or does the QB make the receivers?" argument. I have to admit I had a smile on my face when a Texan fan ranted about undrafted rookie Ajirotutu burning his league-worst pass D for 100+ yds and 2 scores.

What's so impressive about Rivers is that a guy throwing that many passes in come-from-behind situations is maintaining such a high QB rating. QB rating is a flawed measure, but it prioritizes ball safety and high percentage passing, not two virtues you usually associate with the mad bombers of necessity.

I still don't hear many sportswriters talking about Atlanta as being a legit threat. I think they're right up there with NYG as being the best of the NFC for the moment.

Last night's effort opened my eyes (although I did pick them as a -1 favorite in that game, but that was just giving them a home edge) - shutting Baltimore out in the first half was damned impressive.

Archived