Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I'm not feeling it dawg. That big gaping hole in my heart that the Pats threw away their season with the Deion Branch / Randy Moss trade

Moss 1st half today. 1 target, 1 reception 11 yards.

Branch (full game ) 9 catches, 12 targets, 98 yds 1 TD.and 2 great catches for 23 yards and 10 yards on the final drive in OT.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore/NE was a great game. I would have screamed if that ended in a tie. Good to see to Branch back on the team, both as a lifetime Pats fan, and a Louisville resident, where he played college ball.

The Pats are back to their old, early-2000s style of play, which I like. More strategy and less finesse. The "post-Moss" game plan seemed just a bit shaky, but in the long run I think they're a better team without Moss.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

I consider SF a little dangerous.

They've been poison for me so far this season--you never know which team is going to show up.

First, they let me down against the Seahawks in the opener in this survival pool. Then, I bet against them when they played the defending champs; and they nearly forced an overtime game, covering the spread and handing me another loss. So, I picked them again against KC in week 3, and then they lost by 21 points! :facepalm:

Six weeks in and I'm still batting .000 with my 'Niners picks.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Pats are back to their old, early-2000s style of play, which I like. More strategy and less finesse. The "post-Moss" game plan seemed just a bit shaky, but in the long run I think they're a better team without Moss.

Watch out for the Patriots. Maybe there aren't quite the team they use to be back when they were winning championships, but with the draft picks they have on the team and the ones they are going to get because of shrewd trades, it's going to add up to another great Patriots team. As a Steelers fan, that doesn't make me real happy. But you have to hand it to BB and company for working the system to their advantage. I didn't think they were tough enough to beat the Ravens, but I was wrong. Branch was the disappearing man in Seattle, and I'd guess he will be a regular contributor to the Pats offense now that he's back in NE. The Patriots wouldn't have dealt for him if they didn't know he would be less trouble than Moss and a lot less money than what he wanted when he left for Seattle.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

And he's 2 years younger than Moss and signed for next year and made significant salary concessions.

>> Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch agreed to take a pay cut for the final year of his contract as part of the deal that brought him back to New England from the Seattle Seahawks.

The restructuring reduces Branch's 2011 base salary from $5.95 million and puts it closer in line with Wes Welker's base salary of $2.15 million in 2011, a source told ESPNBoston.com. Branch has a chance to earn an additional $2 million in the form of incentives.

Branch said Thursday his contract had been restructured but did not give details.

"Both parties agreed on something and we worked it out," Branch said. "But it's always good just to be back in here. You gotta know what you're doing it for, and I know the purpose and why I did it."

Branch has two years left on a six-year, $39 million contract he signed with Seattle after being traded in 2006 by New England, where he spent four seasons. Branch's $5.47 million salary this season was not reduced.

The restructuring makes more money available for the Patriots to pursue a contract extension for Welker.

I had a crappiest NFL picking weekend of my life. I'm waiting until after the MNF game to tally the damage, but it's not pretty in any case.

But not as bad as me. I made a masterful 2 picks correctly

My week was awful as well.. Good thing I had to work yesterday and wasn't sitting around watching games feeling disgusted with myself.

TROLL . . . ish.

misery loves company, I thought I did badly, but am greatly heartened to have not plummented in the standings. I am bad, but I am consistently bad, with 5 right almost every week....

glad this isnt for money!

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback -- Week 6

As I mentioned previously, this may have been my worst weekend of NFL prognostication in my entire life. Like, when I was three years old, I could take a handful of Legos or Lincoln Logs, toss them in the air, and had they landed near a pick sheet, would have produced better results than my actual choices this weekend. In fact, that might be a good way for me to make my picks for next weekend.

How can a reasonably intelligent, relatively knowledgeable person in regard to professional football, get only four out of 14 games correct? In fact, after the first nine games finished on Sunday, I had only ONE winning team in my picks. I'd love to know what happened, other than the fact that apparently I know nothing about this game after watching it for over 30 years.

But enough whining and self-pity. Let's see how we all did in the week six Pick 'Em Pool.

Our sole leader this week was the inimitable Geoff Grace. How did the G Man take the cake? One thing he did was make three excellent underdog picks, with Seattle, St. Louis, and Detroit. Honestly, I don't understand any of these. Seattle is normally a horrible road team; St. Louis isn't as good as the Chargers (on paper), and Detroit... I mean, how did he do this? Very impressive.

kanker, antimatter, and Magpel all ended up with a respectable 8 points. Again, Kanker and Anti also got on the Seahawks train. The spread was only 6.5. Apparently you all know something about Seattle that I don't. The Bears are good. I don't get it. Mags (along with Rich, below) took Miami over GB, which turned out to be a pretty exciting game... and a surprising victory. Green Bay has injury issues, and the rest of us probably should have factored that in.

richwhite9 (7), Jay (7), ProfD (6), dB (6), griffinator (6), and saku (5) were the middle of the pack this week. I noted that Saku and Griff also nabbed wins with the Rams over the Bolts. Maybe it's time to acquiesce that San Diego is not the dominant AFC West team anymore. In fact, with the AFC West looking as it is, we might indeed end up with a sub-500 team going to the playoffs, if the season continues unchanged. Only the Chiefs have a 3-2 winning record in that division... the rest are all 2-4.

That brings us to the dregs of Week 6: jeffk_nfl2010 (me) with my 4-point week from hell; GovernorSilver, who managed to tie me even though he didn't get any of his picks in until the late games of the day, and finally poor Mid Life Crisis, who limped in with three points. It was only through the graces of the football gods that every one of us picked the Titans (this week's high confidence team) and they put a beatdown on the Jags to give us each a charity point on Monday night.

Since we no longer have the Survival Pool to talk about, I thought it might be nice to include some teams to watch. However, since I'm the guy that chose 10 wrong teams to win last week, I'm hesitant to express any supposed knowledge. Perhaps you can just pick against any team I advise, and you'll be better off.

NFC East: It's shaping up that the Giants and Eagles have the upper hand over the Skins and Cowboys. Dallas actually looks like one of the worst teams in the league this year. Funny how a few months back they were talking about hosting their own Super Bowl next February. Ah, the best laid plans.

NFC North: I don't think you can count out Green Bay just yet, but Chicago looks pretty strong despite the unexpected beating last Sunday. Being as objective as I can, I don't think the Favre/Moss Vikings are playoff bound, which probably means that Brett will feel compelled to come back for a 437th season next year.

NFC South: Many of us assumed that the Saints would be the dominant team here. Many of us were wrong. The Falcons look tough so far. Will they last?

NFC West: For years, it's been the laughingstock division of the NFL. But, whether it's the schedule or otherwise, the three teams not named the 49ers are doing quite well, shockingly.

AFC East: I thought the bandwagoneering in regard to the Jets was more about their appearance on the HBO "Hard Knocks" show than any real possibility of being good. My mistake. However, the Pats should never be counted out, and they look invigorated with the return of Deion Branch after five years away. But, a stat to watch: New England is 29th in the league in pass defense. That won't win any championships in this era.

AFC North: Ben is back, and PIttsburgh was doing surprisingly well even in his absence. However, I'd say to keep watching the Ravens. Their D is still rock solid, and Flacco keeps getting better with experience.

AFC South: It's anyone's guess here. Houston, Tennessee, and Indy are all tied at 4-2, and all seem capable of having great weeks followed by terrible weeks. Even Jacksonville at 3-3 isn't out of the race.

AFC West: The new suckfest of the NFL. The Chiefs had their moment of glory before waking up one day and remembering that they were the Chiefs. Oakland, Denver, and San Diego aren't playing terribly, but they're not winning games either.

Well, there's your weekly report. Until next time, may your team be great (unless they're playing my team).

Interesting comments Jeff, thanks. The Dallas debacle continues. The continuing numbers of penalties, especially bone headed ones makes me laugh. The problem? No accountability. Both ESPN's Jason Smith as well as Chris Carter say basically the same thing. Dallas doesn't have a strong coach and the "boys" are acting like boys.

I think Baltimore is a pretty darn good football team. They have some good players on Offensive this season, in addition to their bone crushing Defense. I realize that New England just beat them, but NE is not asleep at the wheel either.

The Steelers? I saw (but couldn't hear) "Pardon the Interruption" on ESPN early last night in a Sports Bar that was playing music with the sports channels on mute :mad:, The menu said NFL's best team? Or something like that. I don't know what was said but I wish I did. Peter King has the Steelers #1 in his top 15 list from MMQB this week. All of that makes me nervous. Me, I'm not convinced the Steelers are the best team in the NFL. We'll see.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Thanks Jeff for another edition of the MKC. :thu:

Obviously, I'm not making my picks with league parity in mind. :laugh:

Had McNabb throw that last pass a little higher and a few feet further, it would have been a game winning TD and the Skins would have upset the Colts. :eek:

Oh well, it was a good game. Congrats to brotha K on the win. :)

There is a gremlin in the kremlin. I don't know how my picked changed from the Vikes to the yikes. Thankfully, they still lost. That's all that matters. :D

Today is the last of the trade deadline. I'm hoping we can rid of phat baby Haynesworth-less. Especially if he all is going to do is sit up in the owners box looking like the Michelin man. :rolleyes::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

dudes, I am watching the bears -'skins game. It is a lot like watching a car wreck...you feel you should look away, but it is so grotesque (the offenses) that you can't turn away....

hard to believe that NFL offenses can be so poor...it doesnt seem to be good defense, either, though big albert is more active then usual, it is just inept offences.....

EDIT since i wrote the above, there have been three turnovers, two of them in the red zone, and a fourth returned for a td that was wiped out by a penalty....ghastly...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

That was the ugliest win I've ever witnessed, but I'll take it.

San Diego gave that one to the Pats, gift wrapped with a bow and a fancy calligraphy greeting card.

He was like three inches off on the field goal. It just ain't happening in San Diego. It's just gotta be Norv.

Delay of Shame!

It must be the best timed delay of game call in NFL history.

I love my team but this is about the most fugly game ever. Great for D Hall and his 4 ints. Baugh had 4 ints and four TD passes in the same game. Good for D Hall but it doesn't compare to Slingin' Sammy.

That was the ugliest win I've ever witnessed, but I'll take it.

San Diego gave that one to the Pats, gift wrapped with a bow and a fancy calligraphy greeting card.

He was like three inches off on the field goal. It just ain't happening in San Diego. It's just gotta be Norv.

Forget the missed field goal.

The two gift fumbles in the first half (along with the two other fumbles and the INT) were what I was talking about.

Fact: If SD doesn't make those bonehead mistakes, they probably win this going away.

Fact: If SD's defense hadn't put on the heroic effort they did, the Pats win this going away.

Nope, this one was gift-wrapped. The Chargers gave it away.

How about the Saints losing the lowly Cleveland? 30-17, say what? Maybe injuries are still costing the Saints, but they are going to be mad as hornets for the next team to play them at the dome. Hmm that's my Steelers. If the Steelers make the same kind of mistakes next week as they did this week, we're in for a long night. Miami isn't all that good, but the Steelers kept giving them the ball on fumbles in the first quarter. Miami wasn't able to score TD's and settled for a 6-0 lead. Rottenburger must have had fumbleitas or the football they were using was real slippery, 'cause he couldn't keep a handle on it. Some of his passes were way off too, it was not his best game. :freak:

Lots of other surprises this week too. Washington is finding ways to win this season instead of finding ways to lose. That will make ProfD a happy man. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived