Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Only game I got to watch today (grumble grumble damned weddings) was Philly v SF, and I wound up dozing through all but the 4th quarter (grumble grumble damned open bars :D ) - but it was worth it, watching the furious SF comeback wind up juuuuust short, preserving my chance at another +.500 week in the Pick'Em pool. :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by Dave Bryce:

Sincere thanks to Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers for totally choking away what should have been a textbook end of the game against the Raiders today.

I didn't see much football this weekend because of my gig schedule, only a few tidbits. Tonight (more like early Monday morning) I'm listening to ESPN all night program with Jason Smith and he was just talking about San Diego. Basically. San Diego sucks; most of their playmakers are gone, some through old age or being traded, or both, and quality free agents don't want to play for SD because of the idiots in their front office and lame coach. "San Diego is not who we thought they were". Except maybe Rivers. He has the skills, but is as professional as a cheap "Lady of the night". San Diego has a great climate, provided you're not talking about pro football. :bor:

Now Dallas is an other story. as a Steelers fan, I can't say that I don't enjoy the hell out of watching them lose. Jerry Jones is the consummate ego manic with a ton of money that still hasn't figured out that he's no GM. Tony Romo doesn't have what it takes to win in the NFL. He hasn't done a bad job of choking when the game is on the line. He was instrumental in Bill Parcels leaving. So then Jerry hires a mediocre coach that may be a "nice guy" but is as inspirational as a wet pair of socks on a backpacking trip. Dallas sucks, no matter how good their roster looks on paper. Its how the team plays on the field, and that's were Dallas craps their pants. :wave: That's the one thing about the Dallas football team a Cowboys fan can count on. :sick:

Other than losing to the Ravens last week, I have been enjoying NFL football quite a bit so far this season. It's a great sport where a fan can enjoy teams we don't like lose as much as watching our favorite team win. :/

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow...eliminated in Survival Pool and slaughtered in pickem pool, and yet I'd have to call this a great football Sunday for me, with the NYG looking not like a good but like a potentially dominant football team in Houston. In the last two weeks the Giants' D has allowed a total of 13 points, against two teams with explosive offenses in the Bears and Texans.

What a shakeup week with the Saints, Packers, Cowboys and Chargers all registering surprising losses.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

So then Jerry hires a mediocre coach that may be a "nice guy" but is as inspirational as a wet pair of socks on a backpacking trip. Dallas sucks, no matter how good their roster looks on paper. Its how the team plays on the field, and that's were Dallas craps their pants.

Don't candy-coat it, Mike... how do you really feel?

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm listening to ESPN all night program with Jason Smith and he was just talking about San Diego. Basically. San Diego sucks; most of their playmakers are gone, some through old age or being traded, or both, and quality free agents don't want to play for SD because of the idiots in their front office and lame coach. "San Diego is not who we thought they were". Except maybe Rivers. He has the skills, but is as professional as a cheap "Lady of the night". San Diego has a great climate, provided you're not talking about pro football. :bor:

Jason Smith is entitled to his opinion. I'm surprised a "professional journalist" (or whatever his title is) was unaware that the Chargers lost their best special teams gunner, multiple-time Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood, to free agency because he wanted more chances to play WR, a position he is, quite frankly, not that good at (stone hands, sloppy routes). He caught one TD pass with his new team, the Jaguars, but hasn't been targeted much since. Other losses (temporary or otherwise) that have affected Chargers special teams include Jyles Tucker (IR'd), Brandon Siler (injury), and Steve Gregory (suspension). These may not be stars/playmakers in Jason's expert opinion, but they play well together in special teams - and when you take that many guys who are on the same page off special teams, your STs are going to suck.

Whatever Jason Smith may think about the Chargers lack of playmakers, all of the Chargers losses come down to special teams. Offense has been putting up huge numbers with Rivers pulling the trigger, Floyd shredded the Raiders D, etc. That offensive production doesn't come with Rivers throwing to invisible men - somebody has to catch, block, etc. You can't pin these losses on the D either. Also, I'm not surprised what Smith said about Rivers. It's the same sort of ignorant remarks than guys who don't follow the Chargers would make. Those of us who do follow them have a much better idea of Rivers' true character - more to it than what you see on the TV screen.

Sincere thanks to Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers for totally choking away what should have been a textbook end of the game against the Raiders today.

How nice to have it happen to the opposing team for a change. :)

dB

You're welcome. Special teams are this team's Achilles' heel. :sick:

I'd be more upset if so much of my energy has been directed to working so many hours at my job and preparing for our band's first serious live gigs (first DC show is on a Friday night instead of the expected Monday or mid-week).

BTW, I don't think any of the "big three"--the Bills, Panthers, and 'Niners--are a serious threat to "go all the way."

After this week's bye, which one of these teams is going to lose to Buffalo?

Baltimore, KC, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Minnesota

This takes us to week 14 and the Bills first best shot at winning:

12/12 vs Cleveland

They have a shot in weeks 16-17 only if these are meaningless games for playoffs:

12/26 vs New England

1/2 @ NY Jets

by Synthoid:

Don't candy-coat it, Mike... how do you really feel?

:D

I'll try to be a little tougher on Dallas next time I post something about them. I'll just have to do better. ;)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It is somewhat baffling that Favre can continue to pull off--and then botch--these fabulous comebacks. I know I need to recognize that there is something unique and virtuosic about the cat, and yet it has started to feel like a canned storyline.

The Jets played their part by sticking with field goals ("no thanks, I'll just take three") and thus leaving open a door that shouldn't even have been. Rex Ryan's radical third-down blitzes seem to usually result in a big play one way or the other. That's a factor, too.

It was sorta not as a good a game as it might have appeared. The biggest surprise for me was that this Jets running game had almost as much success against the Vikes as against the Bills. That's gotta be encouraging if you're a Jets fan.

Isn't is remarkable how "back" LT looks? Explosive!

BTW, in a pick 'em pool with the spread in play, five weeks in, Antimatter is quite possibly "pulling away."

And one other throught: The loser of the Vikings/Cowboys game next week is on the fast track for Biggest Disappointment honors at season's end. Granted, the NFC is a big muddle, so there's a kind of protracted period of opportunity for either of these teams to perform in accordance with their talent...but not a lot of 1-4 teams make the playoff, historically.

by Magpel:

It is somewhat baffling that Favre can continue to pull off--and then botch--these fabulous comebacks. I know I need to recognize that there is something unique and virtuosic about the cat, and yet it has started to feel like a canned storyline.

Ya, its way old. And Favre is feeling his 41 years. Tendonitis in his right elbow, plus he still has to be concerned about his ankle. Now the story about him sending nude photos to a woman that was with the Jets organization becomes public. As far as Favre's "Legacy'. :sick::cry::(

He should have retired to his farm and left it alone.

Note to GovernorSilver-apparently Peter King doesn't count injuries as a cause of the problems for Dan Diego either. Here is a quote from today's column on CNNSI:

"Norv Turner, Steve Crosby. Bad special-teams play is the fault, ultimately, of Crosby. An underachieving team lays at the feet of Turner."

Sports writers probably don't read the NFL injury reports.

Mike T.

Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback -- Week 5

As the unofficial official NFL analyst for the Keyboard Corner, I'm actually doing a really crappy job. As opposed to watching any football this weekend (or turning on a TV, for that matter),

. It was an amazing trip, full of the majestic wonder and awe you can only find in the desert, but it also precluded any possibility (or desire, to be frank) of checking out games this weekend. But don't burn me in effigy yet; I took time late Sunday night to watch a bunch of clips and read all the recaps, so thanks to the power of the Instant Gratification Information Age, it's like I didn't miss a thing.

Actually, I missed plenty of "things", such as a good portion of my choices in the Pools for Week 5. Let's chat about that.

Pick 'Em Pool

As referenced in an earlier post, while the season is still not yet to the halfway point, we've established a pretty solid leader so far in the form of our pal antimatter. Not many of you know this, but Anti went through a pretty horrific car accident this year, involving life-threatening injuries, and has spent much of the past months physically recuperating from that. I only reference this to say that his success in the Pool, though a small victory in the grand scheme of things, is well deserved. In any case, Anti has been the pool champ for three straight weeks, and currently is in the pole position with 38 total points. Let's take a quick snapshot of the standings as of today:

1. antimatter (38) 38-34

2. richwhite9 (35) 35-37

3. ProfD (34) 34-38

4. Magpel (31) 31-41

5. dB (31) 31-41

6. Mid Life Crisis (31) 31-41

7. Geoff Grace (31) 31-41

8. griffinator (30) 30-42

9. jeffk_nfl2010 (30) 30-42

10. kanker (30) 30-42

11. Jay (29) 29-43

12. saku (29) 29-43

13. GovernorSilver (21) 21-51

So, mirroring the odd level of parity in the League so far this year, two-thirds of our group are between 29 and 31 points right now. Strange days, as Jim Morrison would say! I'll try not to mention that only one out of 13 of us actually has a record over .500. Oops.

Anyway, week five saw Anti and ProfD grabbing a respectable 9 points. richwhite9 and Jay, who both finished with 8 points, had polar opposite days; Jay won the first five games of the week, while Rich won the last five. Note that the three leaders this week were the only ones who took the Skins over the Packers. Nice job, fellers -- you share the BPOTW Award. Continuing our Bobsey Twin pattern, jeffk_nfl2010 (me) and griffinator ended up with an unremarkable 7 points. The lower half of the week was comprised of kanker, saku, dB, Magpel, and GovernorSilver (6 points), and Mid Life Crisis and Geoff Grace (5 points). I seem to recall years where getting 8-9 points left you toward the bottom. Either something weird is going on, or we just plain suck, or (worst case scenario) both.

Survival Pool

Referencing Morrison once again... "This is the end, beautiful friend."

We have a winner, and as usual, it's not the one everyone picked to win. With a week 5 carnage that took out 75% of the remaining contestants, Mark Zeger took a risk and picked the Ravens to beat the Broncos. A good bet, but by no means as "sure" of a bet as my choice (the Saints over the Cards... BZZZT!). Magpel and BlackandWhite also rolled the dice a little with Dallas and Cincy respectively, but they came up snake-eyes, and Mark is the 2010/2011 Survival Pool Champ! Here's hoping for another fun pool next season, and that we can make it last more than five weeks!

That's all for this TMC. Until next time, may your QBs and WRs be full of fine whine.

Indeed, those awe inspiring TD passes to Moss and Harvin, were amazing. Just as those ugly misses to Moss & Harvin were dumbfounding.

I guess they'll work it out.. Dallas is there to be had.

TROLL . . . ish.

Note to GovernorSilver-apparently Peter King doesn't count injuries as a cause of the problems for Dan Diego either. Here is a quote from today's column on CNNSI:

"Norv Turner, Steve Crosby. Bad special-teams play is the fault, ultimately, of Crosby. An underachieving team lays at the feet of Turner."

Sports writers probably don't read the NFL injury reports.

Mike T.

I didn't say injuries were THE cause of the special teams problems. But it would be wrong to discount personnel as a contributing factor. They just cut backup safety CJ Spillman, who they were counting on replacing Pro Bowler K. Osgood as the top gunner on ST coverage. He showed so much promise towards the end of last season, but has been mistake-prone this year (eg. the big whiff on Leon Washington, which led to Washington's TD). Sometimes a guy just won't/can't produce no matter how much you coach him. Then you have to decide whether to cut him and move on. This happens in the NFL...

Crosby won't be fired because he was also the special teams coach when the Chargers had one of the best ST units in the NFL. He has survived at least 3 head coaching changes (Riley, Schotty, Norv).

Governor:

As a Steelers fan, I realize that if a team loses one or two of its top players, it changes the dynamics of the team. Last year Troy (the Hair)was injured and Aaron Smith was out for the season. The Defense lost a lot of games when they couldn't hold the lead that we had until the end of the game.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Almost as cool as having a first place pickem score, is being highlighted in Jeffs weekly recap. Still early in the season. I was shocked to get the Jets game. The only way that happens is if Favre throws a pick and the Jets run it back for a score. Lo and behold.

What a game next week between the 1-3 Vikings and the 1-3 Cowboys. Pretty early for must-win games, but 1-4 in either of those divisions makes things awfully dire. Should be pretty emotional on both sides.

Let's add "prolific" to the list: Brett Favre became the first quarterback in NFL history to hit the 500 TD and 70,000 passing yard marks in the loss.

But yeah, Favre is very good at looking like the GOAT one minute and a goat the next.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Damn, who do I root for in the Cowgirls/Viqueens game? I can't stand either team! What's a hater to do, I ask you? :D

I wouldn't care if they were playing Occidental College but I'll never have a perfect week in Pick 'Em because I'm always going against the 'girls. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Poor, poor Colt McCoy. Let's all just say a prayer for the kid shall we?

It really wouldn't surprize me if he had 6 picks in the 1st half! Hell, maybe they do the smart thing and just run the ball on all 3 downs then punt on 4th...every series. I really pity that poor kid.

TROLL . . . ish.

I understand Jim Rome had an interesting bit about Colt McCoy this week and that there "Should be a law" against throwing him to the wolves. It wouldn't be any prettier if they played the Ravens either.

Mike T.

Damn, who do I root for in the Cowgirls/Viqueens game? I can't stand either team! What's a hater to do, I ask you? :D

Well, for me, the NYG's division race makes what would have otherwise been a difficult choice easy. Let's bury the Cowboys now.

What a game next week between the 1-3 Vikings and the 1-3 Cowboys. Pretty early for must-win games, but 1-4 in either of those divisions makes things awfully dire. Should be pretty emotional on both sides.

1-4 is pretty much the kiss of death in the NFL (2% chance of making the playoffs) and 4-1 is the shoe (75% make the playoffs)

A 4-1 team can go 6-5 down the stretch and get to 10 wins. A 1-4 team? Needs to go 9-2 to get to 10 wins. It's one of the few sports that 1/3 of the way through the season the have nots are already established. We will see 25% of the teams face virtual elimination in the next 2 weeks.

Someone has to man up and claim the basement in the AFC West. They can't all want it. The Raiders are positioned to make a definitive claim with a loss at 0-5 San Fran. It's a shame the Bay Area stink out only gets played every 4 years. It's really a chance to see some really really bad football. It rivals only the Nets versus Knick games for bragging rights.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nflpostseasonprob.html

Wonderful. Thanks to some dealing between Fox and Cablevision, they've axed Fox on my cable service. No Giants game. :mad:

Missing last night's MLB playoff game was one thing, but this is unacceptable! Death to the corporate weenie heads! May they choke on their money.

Archived